Author Topic: Rubber Sugar Apple....quite nice and unusual  (Read 8576 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Rubber Sugar Apple....quite nice and unusual
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
btw...

My favorite part of an annona is the carrot (core of the fruit, where the stem is attached..usually shaped like a taproot).

they usually taste bland, or even bitter...but I taste the carrot on each variety, just for craps and laughs.

This variety has a short stout carrot, with a mild flavor...just in case there are any others who eat the supposed inedible cores of annona fruits...i figured I'd post about annona carrots.  :)

insipid, yes..Inedible no.  healthy???

I have a feeling someone might pop up to say, what I'm doing isn't only flat out wrong, but disgusting.   ;D  ;)

but oh well...I keep eating them.

I'm just glad to finally have some varieties of my own homegrown annonas, on a regular basis finally!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
Great pictures and info Adam! As Always! The flesh definitely looks firm! Keep ups, the good work!

Ed

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
His name in Vietnamese is spelled with this Đ instead of this D.  Đại means big~great~grand~tough.  If you spell it with Dại, it translate to "Stupid" or foolish" amongst many other meanings.

But you can him Tiểu Đại or Đại dụ, he'd love it   ;D    don't bother with google translate, you'll get nothing  ;D ;D ;D

Yep, I think you're right. Thanks for the vietnamese name. Funnily, the guy's first name is Dai (pronounced dye).
Tim

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
Nice documentation, Adam.  The fruit looks to be on the smaller size for sugar apple.  You didn't weigh it, did you?  The intial cut looks like the fruit is much more atemoyish than sugar appleish.  The seed's readily apparent on the first cut were only three....which is pretty low for a sugar apple.  The further progression cuts also looked like low seed count.  But, when all was said and done....errr, eaten, looks like you got about 30 seeds in a fairly small fruit. That's a pretty good number of seeds.  Seed counts are usually one of my big objections in sugar apples.  In any case, the fruit's flesh textrue looks great
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Thanks Harry!

I didn't weigh the fruit...but I'd say its average sized for sure...it may even get larger, due to the fact my tree is in a 3 gallon and root bound..

this is the first time it's fruited...and I could have watered it more...once or twice the leaves wilted quit bad, but bounced back.

I'm used to all the common sugar apples having about 1/3 or more seed, but maybe I've been subjected to substandard fruits?   I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.  Good sugar apples have been hard to find in the store, and my trees don't make a ton of fruits...so my experience is somewhat limited.

it was much easier to eat this sugar apple than the normal ones I've had, because the seeds don't cling to the pulp the same way as the soft fleshed varieties...the seeds seem to jump right out.

I wish they only had 10 seeds per fruit though....I know where u are coming from...I'm bothered by sugar apples that leave u spitting out a mouth full of seeds.

Nice documentation, Adam.  The fruit looks to be on the smaller size for sugar apple.  You didn't weigh it, did you?  The intial cut looks like the fruit is much more atemoyish than sugar appleish.  The seed's readily apparent on the first cut were only three....which is pretty low for a sugar apple.  The further progression cuts also looked like low seed count.  But, when all was said and done....errr, eaten, looks like you got about 30 seeds in a fairly small fruit. That's a pretty good number of seeds.  Seed counts are usually one of my big objections in sugar apples.  In any case, the fruit's flesh textrue looks great
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com