Author Topic: Any effective deterrent for raccoons?  (Read 1425 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Any effective deterrent for raccoons?
« on: May 08, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »
...and to a lesser extent squirrels?  I have 2 small mango trees and 2 small avocado trees and unless I pick the fruit green they tend to get most of my crop.  Short of trapping them, are there any effective deterrents?  I was looking at nylon fruit bags but I suspect they can chew right threw them.  I've tried solar powered ultrasonic repellers but those didn't seem to work. 

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Any effective deterrent for raccoons?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:33:54 AM »
I have the same problem as you. The raccoons don't eat my fruit...they eat my chickens, but the stupid squirrels eat everything. I have bought several traps but they don't seem to work.

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »
i haven't witness or caught on camera raccoons climbing trees to get fruit but man...do they loooooove to dig up my mulch looking for grubs or bugs. so maybe i lucked out that whatever's in the mulch keeps them busy enough.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:54:49 PM »
My use of strawberry clamshells is effective against squirrels, rats, and iguanas.

Raccoons can open them up and use them as a serving plate for their mango meal. I suppose you could wrap each one with wire to further seal it but I suspect they are smart enough to get through that too.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:04:49 PM »
It's not easy to catch a coon in a trap. It took me 3 months to
catch the one previously. I went out around 11:00pm and I heard the
trap snap closed. I happened to open the door when he was stealing the
banana. They like to eat the banana right outside the cage and leave the peal
This time I tied a string to the banana to the lever of the trap and when I came out the
trap was closed but he didn't get caught. Then he was eating the bananas through
the cage and I had to put heavy boxes around the cage so he couldn't move the cage or
eat the banana through the cage. Then I think I figured it out instead of one banana in
the back put a whole bunch of bananas in. I got him the first night. I got tortoises in my
yard and I can't have coons around. My neighbor was losing all his duck eggs too.
Then once you catch him you can't dump him on someone else.

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
I watched a video on YouTube where a professional trapper took a can of sardines and partially opened it, then punched a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver where he opened it, then used a piece of wire and wired it to the side of the cage through the hole.  Seems effective if your raccoons eat sardines but I would imagine you'd have to change that out every morning or you'd have every fly in the neighborhood at your house.  Plus we have feral cats and I can see them going in to get the sardines.  I like the idea though, maybe put something else like peanut butter in the sardine tin.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
Look into a Duke #1.5 trap, attach to a very strong fence post with chain  as Coons are very strong. You may need two traps. These you can cover with a little vegetation/grass/hay/leaves. Overripe banana for cheap bait. Set late evening, check first thing in morning, lock up your pets, use in fenced yard if unable to restrict access for non-target species.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »
If you don’t want to use traps then you need a dog to protect the yard. I’ve always used the havahart traps. They have always worked. It’s has even caught a grey fox.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »
i haven't witness or caught on camera raccoons climbing trees to get fruit but man...do they loooooove to dig up my mulch looking for grubs or bugs. so maybe i lucked out that whatever's in the mulch keeps them busy enough.
You might have armadillos. Thats what I see in my yard at night. Also rats, possum, raccoons, squirrels, mice...........
-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
This might be the worst part of growing for me. As far as I know the best thing is to catch in live traps and then shoot with 22. If you can't shoot drown. I drown the rats I catch. The snap jaw traps were working but they would still be alive and suffering or else I would find a leg of a frog or lizard or something. Relocation is a pain in the ass and also illegal and spreads disease and introduces an animal into another area that is probably overpopulated already. I think the only legal relocation is to a large private property with the owners permission. I have a tube trap for squirrels but I haven't set it up yet. I have heard good reviews from people in California.
-Josh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
To the original question..

None.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk