Author Topic: giant/white birds of paradise + fruit trees = ...?  (Read 1300 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
giant/white birds of paradise + fruit trees = ...?
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
Hi all. Last year we had landscapers do some work to promote privacy between ourselves and neighbors. They recommended and planted white birds of paradise all down our eastern fence about 13 feet apart from one another. They said that they get about 15 ft tall, but from what I see, they can easily double that. Now knowing that they get so big, we're going to get a lot more shade than what we were hoping for and it will limit where we can grow more fruit trees. Is anyone knowledgeable concerning white birds of paradise and have any insights concerning how we can manage the height? Removing would be a pain and still leave us in need of privacy, but would that be the best option? Thanks!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: giant/white birds of paradise + fruit trees = ...?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »
Make a mango hedge like Truly Tropical Chris with Dwarf Hawaiian NDM Neelam. I like Calypso Oleander or Dwarf Clump Arrow Bamboo

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:46:16 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 02:29:49 PM »
They grow like bananas, if one gets too tall or leans over too much you can cut it down and one of the pups will replace it.  But 15 feet sounds about right (in California).
- Val

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »
They grow like bananas, if one gets too tall or leans over too much you can cut it down and one of the pups will replace it.  But 15 feet sounds about right (in California).

Cool. Like a banana, it will just shoot out pups indefinitely?

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »
Make a mango hedge like Truly Tropical Chris with Dwarf Hawaiian NDM Neelam. I like Calypso Oleander or Dwarf Clump Arrow Bamboo

I saw that truly tropical video lately and I am jealous - looks awesome! With the BoP 13-14 feet apart, I was hoping to be able to fit a mango in between here and there, but since the BoP grow so big and wide, I don't think it's possible. A pure mango hedge wouldn't necessarily provide the privacy I am looking for either.

The bamboo looks great, but it would be a major bitch to dig all of the BoP up. There's 5 of them I think and they're all over 6 feet by now. Hoping to be able to manage their size, but if I can't I'll have to consider other options.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
Now you made me curious one of my neighbors has one I took my tape measure and measure the shed which is 10 ft High this is Central Florida imagine they would get taller in South Florida

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

Yep. I don't know how quickly they pup, as my plants were established before I moved in.
- Val

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »

Yep. I don't know how quickly they pup, as my plants were established before I moved in.

I really appreciate the insight. Sounds like I'll be able to work some mangos into my hedge and keep my sun yet! ;)

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
Hi Veggie Prof,
I live on the gulf coast of Texas across the street from NASA Our weather is quite similar to Florida.  Very rarely we will have a winter night that goes down to freezing but it does happen. Our Birds froze to the ground when that happened 4 years ago.  They have grown back to about 8 feet since then & they have sent out new pups.
They never exceeded about 12 feet and then they got knocked back by a freeze to keep their height in check.

I do not think you have to worry, if one grows too tall you can chop it back and the pups beside it will still give the privacy you need.

Otherwise You can consider growing fruit trees pruned as a hedge such as grumichama and Barbados cherry.

BTW,  i just saw a blue and white bird of paradise at a local nursery 6 ft. tall for sale $200 so don't toss them, they are very popular and here are not easily located.

Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 05:48:11 PM »
I think that is wonderful advice. Question how long would it take the birds to fill in when you have them spaced 13 ft. Could you still plant a couple of mangos Barbados cherries and maybe a Monroe avocado what would that hurt?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:00:41 PM by bovine421 »