Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 23911 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 05:39:05 PM »
Awesome Thread this will be helpful for others wanting to grow pineapple plants... you should only use calcium carbide if you have a-lot of plants and you want them all to flower around the same time.. otherwise let mother nature take care of it
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
. you should only use calcium carbide if you have a-lot of plants and you want them all to flower around the same time.. otherwise let mother nature take care of it

With just a few plants in one's garden mightn't it be just as easy to pick up an apple or two when you're at the grocery store, then cut into two or three pieces and drop an apple wedge into the axil of each pineapple? 

And then just let the ethylene gas from the apple encourage fruit initiation.  Or have pineapples in this day and age gotten too sophisticated to be lured on by an apple wedge?

Just FWIW . . . .

Paul M.
==

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 07:20:46 PM »
Hopefully fruit size and quality is correlated with plant size, one of my white jades is taller than me now.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
I usually start them off in water until the roots are about 1 to 2 inches. I have most of mine growing in 5 gallon harbor freight buckets, I've tried the home depot ones but they quickly fade and get brittle. I started with 2 del monte about 7 years ago and I now have over 25 in my back yard.
I haven't tried the calcium carbide method but I might do alittle experimenting this winter,  I usually like to let the plant run its course.

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread. Which offset will produce a pineapple fastest
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 12:17:11 AM »
I just harvested a homegrown pineapple. I have several offsets, crown, slips, ratoon and suckers. Which offset will produce a pineapple the fastest? I only have space in my green house to grow one of the offset.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread. Which offset will produce a pineapple fastest
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 05:08:01 AM »
I just harvested a homegrown pineapple. I have several offsets, crown, slips, ratoon and suckers. Which offset will produce a pineapple the fastest? I only have space in my green house to grow one of the offset.

from what ive gathered here in south florida, slips and suckers grow at about the same rate for me, mine usually take about a 1 to 1-1/2 year to give fruit, though i have had some take close to 2 years. the tops take forever, easily 2 years, to give a fruit. id honestly pick the biggest, healthiest slip/sucker. take a look at the link below, it might give you some info.

goodluck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Ldn9xP8uA

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2020, 04:53:59 PM »
After thinking of buying a bunch of pineapples to make wine just for growing more Question

What does DOLE Use or other brands ?

Is this not using crisper GENE Inserting technology ?

I understand GMO are listed by the Number on the fruit (9 is Organic )
I think 3 is Hybrid, 8 is GMO (edit but  thought 4 used to be?)
but do not think Crisper is listed as GM on the number since it is genes from the same species

(speaking of which Malactic (bacteria) fermentation in wine turns sour Malic acid (found in apples) (to latic acid found in milk)
they have a yeast that has those genes inserted in the yeast Which I do not buy I do not see anything listed on those packs.)

I hope someone that knows more about Dole, and other companies to chime in
any companies that do not use such technology ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 04:59:33 PM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »
not to invested into it I will Probably just keep most as house plants this winter, and give away after Summer/fall next year

So really didn't care to buy Better cultivars here as of now.

YEs I already Understand Breeders can find a Gene see if it is recessive ,
and breed it out after multiple generations for adding wild genes that might affect powdery mildew etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:08:36 PM by Francis_Eric »

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

On a side note, the variety of pineapple I want to grow/eat the most is the Meli Kalima. My friend visited Hawaii and said it was the most delicious pineapple he has ever eaten. I believe it is a patented variety so unfortunately no growing of this variety for us.

I wonder if planting the top would be allowed with a patented variety, I guess not, right? Since it would be an asexual propagation.

Has anyone tried a baby pineapple? The one I tried wasn't spectacular but pricey.

Brad, how long can a slip survive before planting?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
I'm growing some of those south Africa baby pines.  Slips can survive a month or so before planting.  A month is pushing it but a week or 2 is not a problem sent dry in a box.  They are like little cactus cuttings.
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
This is my best of three that successfully rooted from grocery-store crowns.  This is exciting for me, it'll be my first tropical fruit success in a long while! :D  Late July it was outgrowing the 1 gallon pot and all I had on hand was this 7 gallon, porous grow bag.  It appears to be doing well, although the leaves have been somewhat pale ever since it began growth after the initial rooting period. 
If you live in zone 8-10 , a greenhouse will be best during winter. 
I don't have space for a greenhouse, and I'm in coastal south OC (zone 10a, can walk to beach) - what do you all think would give this plant best chance of survival with cold a couple months away: leave it alone, place the grow bag into a larger pot to insulate roots from the cold, or bring it indoors?

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 07:15:12 PM »
Anyone able to id these two?

white sugarloaf

twistie/md2
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 01:16:12 PM by vall »
- Val

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »
Val the serrated one is a yellow sugarloaf.  The other one looks like a commercial md2 type.  The commercial ones have just itty bitty little serrated leaf tips.
Brad Spaugh

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
Val the serrated one is a yellow sugarloaf.  The other one looks like a commercial md2 type.  The commercial ones have just itty bitty little serrated leaf tips.

Thanks Brad. I figured the serrated one was a sugarloaf. The other must be a twistie from the grocery store.
- Val

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 08:38:02 PM »
Last year, this plant's parent fruited, and produced one pup at the base of the plant (a ratoon sucker?) I left that guy where it was and potted up all the suckers that formed on the fruiting stem. Fast forward one year, and here is that is ratoon sucker fruiting and producing more offsets. I was planning to leave the shoot developing at the lower right and let it grow another pineapple, but from what I'm reading here, I'll get better results if I remove it and plant it somewhere else? Is that right?

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
This one is a KAUAI WHITE SUGARLOAF and WHITE JADE.  These are the same cultivar.  This plant gets quite large and will do well in a 7gal pot.  It has smooth leaves, and a white sweet subacid flesh and semi edible core.  The cores are edible but are harder than the surrounding flesh.  This plant is not as cold hardy as some other varieties.  Its a slow grower but does make a decent amount of offsets and slips.  The leaves turn red and purple in the sun.  It is normal and will turn this color even with the same feeding program as other types that stay green.  Some pineapple plants just turn colors and this one does a lot.  This fruit has a brix of 16-17 and low acid making it taste very sweet.

Thank You for the information, Very helpful! Especially confirmation that Kauai Sugarloaf and White Jade are the same!!
Sergio

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Im pretty excited for these 2 new types

This one is a cheesepine from Simon and Jim.  I have no idea why its called cheese pine.

This one I got from a guy in Malaysia, its called nanas paun.  Its supposed to get really large.

Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »
Hello ,can I just ask a fast question, is this pineapple top ready for planting ,its been curing for tree days now ? It had some rotted parts on the base which I cut off , everything is dry now . Tanks

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Yes plant it in a small pot so it doesnt get too wet in full sun. 
Brad Spaugh

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »

This one is a cheesepine from Simon and Jim.  I have no idea why its called cheese pine.

This one I got from a guy in Malaysia, its called nanas paun.  Its supposed to get really large.

About Cheese Pine you wont find much info about it online. The only info is from the USDA

A specimen known as Cheese Pine—collected in Guatemala in 1935—may be sweeter and richer in vitamin C than any other pineapple in the collection. And Pseudananas sagenarius, brought from the Rio Negro region of Argentina in 1938, always gets a second glance. Not a true pineapple, but a member of the same plant family nonetheless, P. sagenarius boasts a botanical quirk: The sharp, thornlike spines along its leaves arch away from the leaf tip instead of towards it. It’s an oddity that some experts are quick to notice.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
here is a photo of my Natal Queen Pineapple plants this season should flower sometime during winter time

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
Why not plant in the ground. seems like everybody is keeping them in pots?
 Is it the climate? I'm in east central Florida, would planting in the ground be
better?

deac777

• USA, Northern, CA USDA Zone10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »

Is the cheesepine a white pineapple like the white sugarloaf?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »
Why not plant in the ground. seems like everybody is keeping them in pots?
 Is it the climate? I'm in east central Florida, would planting in the ground be
better?

If I owned my own property I would grow in the ground but I rent so I'm not allowed to. And growing in Florida soil you need to worry about nematodes

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2020, 01:25:17 AM »
Yes plant it in a small pot so it doesnt get too wet in full sun.
thanks very much !!☺