Author Topic: 5lb Lancetilla Mango  (Read 28156 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
5lb Lancetilla Mango
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
Saw this 5lb Lancetilla mango at Excalibur this weekend.

What's the largest mango everyone else has seen?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: 5lb Lancetilla Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »
5 pound keitts are not uncommon here. I've also seen some Osteens recently that came very close to that. Wish i'd gotten photos of the basketball mangos in India. Must have been close to 10 pounds.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:11 AM »
5 pound keitts are not uncommon here. I've also seen some Osteens recently that came very close to that. Wish i'd gotten photos of the basketball mangos in India. Must have been close to 10 pounds.

Do you remember the names of the basketball sized mangos? And why in the world would you not take pics????

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 12:59:48 AM »
Oscar, ten pound mango is unbelievable!

For me is a store bought Keitt mango. I think it weighed in close to at least five pounds. Here's a picture from last year.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:57:57 AM »
Biggest Ive seen was the "mans head" mango, 13lb but this was back in the late 70s.  last "mans head " I saw was at the Mango Expo back in  2008, but do not know the weight of that one, but another has not been displayed since, I have been trying without luck to get some evidence of this variety, there may be only 1 or 2 trees left on the Island.

Every time I mention this mango, I must feel like those folks that have seen UFOs...."I saw it,  I swear i did  it was hoverin out yonder by Clem's farm"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:07:34 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:39:50 AM »

Do you remember the names of the basketball sized mangos? And why in the world would you not take pics????

Names were in local dialect, not in english or even in roman letters. Didn't take a photo because i simply didn't have a camera. Also had other things on my mind at that time.
Oscar

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:25:30 AM »
hi all,
WAHOO, I never view ,  a big lancetilla mango  like this.
she deserves still a medal?
it is really beautiful.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
It looks like a whopper alright and getting up towards world record territory.Tropicdude if you can get some physical evidence of a 13lber you'll be bumping Michael Phelps off the cover off the cover of the Guiness Book of Records.Did the tree grow near the pub?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
It looks like a whopper alright and getting up towards world record territory.Tropicdude if you can get some physical evidence of a 13lber you'll be bumping Michael Phelps off the cover off the cover of the Guiness Book of Records.Did the tree grow near the pub?

Matter of fact yes, it was watered by the Presidente beer that passed through the punters
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:59:31 AM by zands »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »
I am sure Tropicdudes observations are rock solid but the reference to UFOs reminded me of extra-terrestrial activity in Australia.This of course has no relevance to the thread.

Tully is the town at the epicenter of alien abductions and it can be pinned to a particular part of town.11.30pm to 1.30am is the peak time for such activity and usually on Friday and Saturday evenings.The park and road next to the pub is the hotspot and the doors close at 11.30pm on the two busiest evenings.Just as doctors keep stethoscopes in the freezer apparently the aliens keep their probes in the freezer.Researchers found only drunks staggering around when they investigated.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
That is pure beauty!!
I think finding these monster size mangoes like that is fun. It is even better when a monster size mango like that has great flavor to go along with it.
Did you take it home to try it?
The mango in the picture below is from my friends tree. I believe it is a Keitt and this mango had to be the best tasting mango I ever had!
Need to go back and get more of those mangoes!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »
Hmm....I think I'll have to wait another 3-4 years before I allow my pugged n tipped 7 gal Lance to bear.
From the taste reviews on this mango, seems like it's size is the main reason to get em.
Fiberless helps a bit too :) .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
Very cool looking melon, I mean mango...

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »
...but I thought I heard the tree say,

"Oh, my aching back!"

Now THAT"S some birth weight.............fang

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Poor tree is all I can say! I have a young Lancetilla in the ground - purchased it after reading positive reviews, but now it seems people aren't raving about the flavor so much. I know, I know, try before you buy...but that's easier said than done if you don't live near the major nurseries. It might be 5 years before I get to try some of the varities I would be considering.

At any rate, I am interested in reading more reviews of Lancetilla.

I think I've figured out why it's been classified as a condo mango - the weight of the fruit bends the tree down so much it never gets tall?!!!  :o

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
I am sure Tropicdudes observations are rock solid but the reference to UFOs reminded me of extra-terrestrial activity in Australia.This of course has no relevance to the thread.

Tully is the town at the epicenter of alien abductions and it can be pinned to a particular part of town.11.30pm to 1.30am is the peak time for such activity and usually on Friday and Saturday evenings.The park and road next to the pub is the hotspot and the doors close at 11.30pm on the two busiest evenings.Just as doctors keep stethoscopes in the freezer apparently the aliens keep their probes in the freezer.Researchers found only drunks staggering around when they investigated.

@MikeT  Yeah that sounds like a real mystery.

That would be cool,  I would also like to get a tree, not so much because they are a good tasting mango, I tried that one long ago, and remember it being rather bland, and not that sweet,  not sure if it was even ripe yet, as it was light green in color.  they had another that was 9 lbs.  I would like to get a seed or graft one, if nothing more than to conserve the variety from extinction and maybe it could be useful in breeding programs.

I read that the mineral cobalt increases fruit size up to 30% in mangoes, so if your using minors, you may want to make sure it includes cobalt in the mix.
http://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lifesciencesite.com%2Flsj%2Flife0801%2F40_4621life0801_337_343.pdf&ei=nQMYUJWmDYas0AHj2IDACw&usg=AFQjCNH64M7y726elyqF3l1iA_gANAWOAg&sig2=oi7o8UcqMh4qm4ikUgxATA]
[url]http://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lifesciencesite.com%2Flsj%2Flife0801%2F40_4621life0801_337_343.pdf&ei=nQMYUJWmDYas0AHj2IDACw&usg=AFQjCNH64M7y726elyqF3l1iA_gANAWOAg&sig2=oi7o8UcqMh4qm4ikUgxATA
[/url]

Its no wonder that trees perform so differently from one location to another,  a Keitt may give you mangoes consistently at 2+ pounds in one place,  and only  1 lb in another.   

Something as simple as 1 minor mineral in the soil can effect the size, firmness and quality of fruit. so many other factors play a role, such as climate , beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae etc.

So any given variety probably has the genetic potential to be bigger , sweet and more productive, when its given all that it needs.

I have a Lancetilla in a container, I am hoping it will flower and set fruit next season. It would be cool if they got as big as the one in the picture.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Saw this 5lb Lancetilla mango at Excalibur this weekend.

What's the largest mango everyone else has seen?

that's about the same size as my Lancetilla last year ( 5.2 pound, 11" long and 15" wide). Mine was an absolute dud awful taste. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and trying again this year. here is a pic of this years monster, it might be bigger, we will have to wait 8 more weeks. My friend Enduser told me he had an 8 pound Lacetilla a few years ago that killed his 5 foot tree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Tree is a compact, or at least a slow grower...fruit is mediocre at best.  It is more of a novelty issue to produce the big "fruit" as opposed to growing for quality fruit.  If you want to grow 5+ pound mangoes, than Lancetilla ids a tree for you.  If you want to grow quality, good tasting mangoes, pass this variety by...
- Rob

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Tree is a compact, or at least a slow grower...fruit is mediocre at best.  It is more of a novelty issue to produce the big "fruit" as opposed to growing for quality fruit.  If you want to grow 5+ pound mangoes, than Lancetilla ids a tree for you.  If you want to grow quality, good tasting mangoes, pass this variety by...

The description from Fairchild doesn't sound so mediocre to me:

"‘Lancetilla’ This impressive mango comes from the north coast of Honduras. The fruit are quite large, ranging from two to five pounds. The thick skin, bright red color with radiant, crimson on the shoulders is tolerant of rough handling and is easily separated from the firm, juicy lemon-yellow flesh. The fiberless flesh is aromatic and has an intensely sweet, flavor. The fruit ripen from mid-August through September, almost the end of the mango season in South Florida. With branch tipping and selective pruning, it can be formed into a small, productive ten-foot tree. ‘Lancetilla,’ with its excellent disease tolerance, is the perfect late season mango, offering beauty, compact size and flavor."

Neither does PIN's description make it sound mediocre:

"Lancetilla is a Honduran selection made famous by Dr. Richard Campbell. Its debut at the 2001 International Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens made it an instant South Florida sensation. Its immediate acceptance by homeowners can be attributed to the tree’s ability to be maintained at just ten feet. The five pound blood red fruit is firm, sweet, and completely fiberless. The fruit ripens from mid August to September."

This is definitely one I would like to try for myself at peak ripeness...

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
Our Lancetilla tree has been a robust grower; went from 3' to 15-18' in 3 years. Hopefully it will slow down?? :-\
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:59 PM »

The description from Fairchild doesn't sound so mediocre to me:

"‘Lancetilla’ This impressive mango comes from the north coast of Honduras. The fruit are quite large, ranging from two to five pounds. The thick skin, bright red color with radiant, crimson on the shoulders is tolerant of rough handling and is easily separated from the firm, juicy lemon-yellow flesh. The fiberless flesh is aromatic and has an intensely sweet, flavor. The fruit ripen from mid-August through September, almost the end of the mango season in South Florida. With branch tipping and selective pruning, it can be formed into a small, productive ten-foot tree. ‘Lancetilla,’ with its excellent disease tolerance, is the perfect late season mango, offering beauty, compact size and flavor."

Neither does PIN's description make it sound mediocre:

"Lancetilla is a Honduran selection made famous by Dr. Richard Campbell. Its debut at the 2001 International Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens made it an instant South Florida sensation. Its immediate acceptance by homeowners can be attributed to the tree’s ability to be maintained at just ten feet. The five pound blood red fruit is firm, sweet, and completely fiberless. The fruit ripens from mid August to September."

This is definitely one I would like to try for myself at peak ripeness...
Fairchild also had Jean Ellen and Graham as curator's choices. among others, that I would not even consider recommending...its called marketing (here is a quote to show you what I mean, "Lancetilla is a Honduran selection made famous by Dr. Richard Campbell. Its debut at the 2001 International Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens made it an instant South Florida sensation").

PIN descriptor, well, that speaks for itself (and not in a good way).  It also highly praises Ice Cream, Irwin, Philippine, Tebow, Zill (which I do not find to be of exceptional quality), and while it gives low stars for Van Dyke you would never know it by the description.  Sometimes it is best not to overly trust a nursery's description as what are they ultimately trying to do, sell a product.  Forum members who seem to consistently state it is average have no agenda behind their statements.  It means nothing to me whether you buy a Lancetilla, LZ, Mahachanok, Coconut Cream or even a Tommy Atkins...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:08:10 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »

Rob my friend, you are right on the money.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
A name change could be in order.I suggest Lance-alot.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Rob, I couldn't agree more. I think that nurseries trying to hype their trees via untruthful statements do more long term harm than short-term good to their reputations and sales.  I remember HMHausman writing that Lancetilla usually came mid-pack during taste tests. My memory could be off though. Even if they don't taste great, maybe they will be good for dehydrating.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
I had written a long winded post earlier but at the end, i ditched it.

I originally purchased the Lancetilla because of the PIN viewer.  this was a few years back, so there wasn't much online opinion from back yard growers.  knowing what I know now, I probably would not have purchased it.

At that time, I was looking for varieties that could grow well in container, and would be somewhat disease resistant.

Do i think this mango is a complete fail? no way, even if its just "mediocre" compared to the top tier selections, that means its at least better than Tommy Atkins.   and as mentioned, this mango may be great for making Jams and Dehydrating which is something my wife wants to do.

In previous post in this thread I wrote about using fertilizers and thing to increase mango size,  Bigger is not always better, Importers of commercially grown mangoes prefer mangoes in the 1-2 pound range, smaller mangoes fetch less price, per pound, in other words 10 pounds of small mangoes will get a farmer less money than 10 pounds of big mangoes.

A great mango like Maha Chanok has the problem of barely making it to a pound.  if by some cultivation method there was a way to increase the size of this mango by 25% or so, it would make this mango very marketable for commercial mangoes.  on the other end, Increasing the size of Keitt mangoes may not be desirable as they are already tipping 2 pounds on avg,   really big Keitts and very small ones go to the reject pile from the exporters, and are sold locally to street vendors.

Back yard growers of course do not have any problem with size ( i would think ) would you complain if your Lemon Zests or Maha Chanoks grew twice their normal size? if taste and texture stayed the same .
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk