Author Topic: Where to get soursops in St. Petersburg, FL?  (Read 1626 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Where to get soursops in St. Petersburg, FL?
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
I just had my first soursop. They're delicious! It's one of my favorite fruits now. However, the once place I know of that has them, MD Oriental Market, charges $9 a pound for them. They aren't that delicious. Does anyone know of another place around here that sells soursops?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Where to get soursops in St. Petersburg, FL?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
Once in a while Whole Foods has them.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
I know this doesn't help but I'm in Lake Worth Florida and I'm growing them organically and selling them for $6-7 a pound.. they won't grow that far north I don't believe they're very susceptible to cold
Www.sailing-charters.org

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
Wholesale price has been $5/lb which is why I put in six trees. They begin defoliating below 40 degrees so you need zone 10b or higher and probably coastal areas which are less prone to frost. Mine are only 1.5 years but I'm starting to see a few flowers maybe some fruit next year. Some purport it to work on cancer I know of several who tried but died.

Weboh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
Just did some research on soursops. Looks like even mature trees don't give that much fruit, which explains the price. I definitely want to grow a tree eventually, whether zone-pushing here or farther south. It'd still be nice to get some fruit now though. I'll try Whole Foods. Anyone know of any other places? Or better yet, have any yourself?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Watch next door, I think it’s on Facebook?  You can order off of miamifruit.org but you will pay thru the nose. One guy down here locally sells for I think $5 a pound and advertises on next door neighbor.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Weboh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
Good idea, but that requires giving Facebook my address and my phone number. I don't trust them with either of those. I guess Craigslist is the better for of that. I'll try that.

And yeah, I was appalled by Miami Fruit's prices too. Great concept, but terrible pricing. I'm surprised they get enough people ordering to make it worth it for them to continue to offer the service...

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:27 AM »
Wholesale price has been $5/lb which is why I put in six trees. They begin defoliating below 40 degrees so you need zone 10b or higher and probably coastal areas which are less prone to frost. Mine are only 1.5 years but I'm starting to see a few flowers maybe some fruit next year. Some purport it to work on cancer I know of several who tried but died.
I see you have the same view as I concerning purported claims. I am glad to see no one here trying to sell fruit with the "some purport it to work on cancer" without the "I know of several who tried but died."  People with possibly terminal conditions like cancer are often desperate and it's a delicate topic that I prefer just avoiding and let them research on their own to avoid future problem family situations...

Unfortunately I remember a friend telling me a Florida Hospital had a big sign over the door saying cancer stops here......   He repeated the slogan to many as he was under going cancer therapy... Unfortunately he passed away with cancer...

The hospital was placing many info commercials on TV interviewing patients in cancer remission and 100% interviewed gave glorious reviews of the hospital... 

I have not seen info commercials from them recently... I think too many people got upset knowing that their loved ones did not have the chance to give their differing opinion of the hospital... The deceased are very quiet....

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 07:31:05 AM »
Just did some research on soursops. Looks like even mature trees don't give that much fruit, which explains the price. I definitely want to grow a tree eventually, whether zone-pushing here or farther south. It'd still be nice to get some fruit now though. I'll try Whole Foods. Anyone know of any other places? Or better yet, have any yourself?
Though it's in Spanish this video is probably the best example I've found of great production in Soursop. Colombia seems to excel in this fruit. The trees are pruned low and wide, fairly open not tight. Their natural habit is to grow dense tall and vertical so they are trying to form against that. The objective is longer lateral branches pruned fairly clean to stimulate flowering along the lower edges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6k2ONKDsbw&t

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk