Author Topic: Cashew question  (Read 2154 times)

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
Cashew question
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
Will dried leaves tend to regrow after the transplant of 6" multi-stemmed seedling?

I am getting conflicting info, online, that it is hardy, yet does not like to be transplanted, yet can be transplanted at a young age.

I have recently received this plant, in the mail. It looked very nice. So, I left a good review.

So far, all of my tropical plants have fared very well, when they were left in their original wrappings, out of direct sun, and lightly moistened. When I saw no signs of stress in the leaves, and particularly, if I saw new growth, within a week, I would transplant into a 1g pot.

Shock seems to have set-in, over the course of just a few hours, so that there are no leaves left.

Is this normal, for this plant?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Cashew question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
When I find myself in such a situation my course of action is to generously apply a good dose of 'Miracle Gro' potting soil, and it usually works for me.

For example, a few days ago, I thought my 'Dendrocalamus Gigantus' bamboo was dead after dropping all of its leaves. After applying a generous amount of 'Miracle Gro' potting soil and watering it daily, I was relieved to find out that after about 1 week later, all the leaves are now coming back. This bamboo variety is really exotic and hard to come by, so I was really relieved that I was able to get it to come back.

My only experience with cashew propagation has been through seeds, and I've had really good results with the productivity. Good luck.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Ansarac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 11:46:24 PM »
This gives me an idea. Thanks very much.

Do you have any tricks for germinating the seeds, like bottom heat?

Or, can you recommend a good vendor?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
Cashews are tough plants , hard to kill and drought resistant ( here at least ) Seeds are easy to grow , no special treatment . In season now here in Mexico .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
Cashews are tough plants , hard to kill and drought resistant ( here at least ) Seeds are easy to grow , no special treatment . In season now here in Mexico .
Only the cold isn't it?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
Only the cold isn't it?

Not sure about the cold Luis , here it only goes down to 7 Celsius in the winter nights .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:49 PM »
This gives me an idea. Thanks very much.

Do you have any tricks for germinating the seeds, like bottom heat?

Or, can you recommend a good vendor?
I just let them dry out for about 1 week, then just plant in rich soil at the desired location.

The best of all worlds situation would be to find a seedling cashew tree that produces large fruit and then propagate it accordingly; from experience, I've found cashew trees, whether seedlings or not, to be very productive.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
Only the cold isn't it?

Not sure about the cold Luis , here it only goes down to 7 Celsius in the winter nights .
Ok, Thank's! That's why the small cashew in pot is a good solution to me...  ;D

Ansarac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »

Is the shipping rate agreeable, between Mexico and Southern California?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk