Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211544 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
Leo. I'm starting coverage on another possible candidate. Rockwood Avocado.
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/rockwood-avocado.html

One of the nicest foliage I have seen.

Carlos

Hope to see you in Ornange County CRFG  this January in the great scion exchange were you might have a chance to try Rockwood and others plus have a chance to collect many rate avocado scions

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
"Mango 24/7" Update

In order to have mangos in the month of November, the solution is to not fertilize the 'Keitt' mango. In that way, it will hold its fruit until the end of November.

In order to have mango in the months of December and January, the solution may be to remove all the 'Miracle' mango fruit buds that form during the regular season. This variety is known to produce two crops per year. Thus, it may be appropriate to push (fertilize) it extensively.

My 'Rosigold' mango tree is beginning to bloom flowers right now. This is amazing considering that we're still very early in the year (October 14, 2013).
I'm of the thought that to get 'Rosigold' to produce mature fruit in February, it has to be pushed (fertilized extensively).

And there you have it, once you're able to have mango fruit in the mango void months of the year, November-February, you now have "Mango 24/7."
I can't wait to try this on my trees to see if it works.

Then, since "Mango or Avocado 24/7" has already been accomplished, the last remaining goal on this Thread would be "Avocado 24/7." And, thanks to T.F.Forum Members like CTMIAMI, JF, Mark in Texas and many others, a lot of progress has been, and is being done, to reach that goal, thanks again to everyone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:14:30 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 15, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
FYI my son-in-law Keitt is is still holding fruit. He uses zero fertilizer.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 15, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »

Gotta love Keitt! ;D  Why doesn't PIN carry it anymore? :(
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
Have you called them? I bought one about a year ago.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 15, 2013, 04:12:23 PM »
Have you called them? I bought one about a year ago.

I was going by their website, where it says they've suspended production.  Maybe they need to update that information because that's been on there for a few years.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 15, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
John call them they have them. That has been on their web for a long time I got one while the web was reporting that.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »
Spoke to the office they have keitt in PIN go and get it!
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 15, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
Yes, sir!
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »

Thanks for that report Carlos, I really appreciate it.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 20, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Updated “Avocado Watch–List”
A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April and May.
Key:
Underlined 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by a 'Forum Member(s)'.
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List.'
Potential 'SFL-WAV' cultivars:
Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).’
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’  and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kahaluu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Murashige.’
Group 5: ‘Gwen,’ ‘Santa-Ana-Hass,’ ‘Lamb-Hass,’ ‘Sir-Prize,’ ‘Holiday.'
Group 6: ‘Nabal,’ ‘Queen,’ 'Rockwood' ...
Group 5:

'Gwen:' A seedling bred from 'Hass' x 'Thille' in 1982. The 'Gwen' tree is higher yielding and more dwarfing than Hass in California. The fruit has an oval shape. It is frost-hardy down to −1 °C (30 °F). This variety requires little more than a third of the space of the typical avocado tree and produces "twice" as much fruit. The tree naturally grows about 15 feet in height, but can be kept even smaller because the tree lends itself easily to pruning as it has small limbs. The fruit is set in huge numbers uniformly throughout the tree. Gwen avocados are similar to the Hass in appearance, taste, and texture, but are larger. The green skin is more finely pebbled than Hass, it's thick but pliable, is dull green when ripe with a gold-green and creamy flesh. Most productive of dwarf avocados, best dwarf for outdoor use, also for containers and greenhouse. Season: It's available late winter through late summer; Feb./March/April to Sept./October. As mentioned earlier on this Thread, Forum Member CTMIAMI is field testing this exciting variety.

'Santa Ana Hass:' This is a California field tested seedling, of California ‘Hass.’ It comes from a ten year old tree in California, where it is reported to bear heavily. The fruit is a large pound size fruit, with ‘Hass’ like taste. Because of the quality characteristics exhibited by this variety during many years, CTMIAMI is now field testing it in South Florida, USA. More information on this variety (and others) can be obtained at CTMIAMI’s website: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/santa-ana-hass.html

'Lamb Hass:' In California, exceptional flavor and a medium to large robust size are the hallmark of this new avocado variety. It has pebbly bumpy skin with greenish yellow flesh. It has smooth, creamy, nutty taste and is more roundish, symmetrical, than the regular ‘Hass.’ It ranges in size from 10 to 20 oz. It’s 50% to 80% larger than the regular ‘Hass.’ It’s described as a compact tree (smaller than ‘Hass’), and bears more fruit than the ‘Hass.’ The fruit is reported to keep on the tree real well. A Forum Member has reported that the fruit also keeps/stores very well in the refrigerator. This variety is a self pollinator. Fruit maturity in California is from June to October. Carlos is field testing this variety to see how the tree and fruit quality will behave in the South Florida environment, whether it’s worthy of commercial development, and whether the fruit maturity season is in the ‘S.FL-WAV,’ or borders it.  The tree that Carlos is field testing is now full of attractive, as of yet unripe fruit. As Carlos has described, it seems to like the South Florida environment. It would be interesting to learn the date(s) when the fruits begin to ripen, and the date(s) when the last fruit(s) ripen; do they ripen all at once, or do they ripen in a spread out fashion as in a matter of days, weeks, or months. So far, so good: Although still under observation, with these amazing described qualities, the 'Lamb Hass' could turn out to be a world class quality avocado for S. Florida. More info. on this exciting variety can be found at: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/lamb-hass-avocado.html

'Sir Prize:' There is not a lot of ‘info.’ out there on this variety. This review is made possible by Forum Members: JF, Concordiaranch, Californiatropicals and CTMIAMI. In California, USA, it’s Hass like, but with larger fruit, bears 4-6 weeks earlier than Hass (Feb.-Oct.). Its growth is vigorous, upright and spreading. It’s more cold hardy than Hass. And, has an excellent flavor and flesh. On June 30, 2013, Forum Member Concordiaranch, mentioned having 3.25 acres of Sir Prize avocado on a hillside (800 ft. elevation) North of Bakersfield, CA. Eight year old trees in a 20' X 20' spacing are 16' high and beginning to touch. Concordiaranch harvests Sir Prize fruit between early November and early March. CTMIAMI began field testing this variety in Miami, Florida, USA, on December 20, 2012. And, according to Carlos, this variety  “seems to love it here.” Carlos has stated on his website that on January 28, 2013, he ate a California home grown Sir Prize, and described it as having an incredible taste and quality. Commentary: This variety exhibits wonderful qualities. Future reports will update the behavior in S. Florida, USA, as they become available. For more information, please link to:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3391.msg82192#msg82192
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6134.0
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/sir-prize-avocado.html

'Holiday:' This variety is a relatively recent cultivar. Nurseries began propagating the plant in 2001. The fruit has the basic characteristics of popular varieties such as ‘Hass’ avocados. ‘Holiday’ avocados have dark green medium-thick skin that peels. Unlike the ‘Hass,’ the fruit is very large. The fruit are attractive and the tasty, delicious flavor has been described as being from good to excellent. The large, pear shaped green fruit, which holds the tree very well, grows to about six inches long and weighs between 18 to 24 ounces. The tree is much smaller than ‘Hass.’ This variety grows from well to perfect in small yards/orchards, in urban areas or in containers indoors. It is ideal for home gardeners who want to grow their own fruit without much space to spare. The beautiful tree grows from 10 to 12 (other reports also say 20 to 25) feet tall into a spreading umbrella shape that skirts the ground. Mature leaves grow to about eight inches long. It was named Holiday because the fruit ripens between Labor Day and New Year's Day (late fall and winter). T.F.F.Member JF, who’s in California, has said on this Thread that: ‘Holiday’ avocados can get quite big, and that they are of superior quality. CTMIAMI is field testing this variety in S.Florida. He top-worked a tree on December 22, 2012. As of March 30, 2013, the tree is doing very well and is on its way to possibly having flowers and fruit next year. Commentary: This is a promising candidate for the ‘SFL-WAV.’ Pictures and more information can be obtained at: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/holiday-avocado.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:28:13 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
“Avocado 24/7”
Update for the ‘South Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘S.FL-WAV’)
Group 1: ‘Utuado’ Avocado
Forum Member Carlos has about just finished doing a heck of an investigation on this variety. He has throuroughly field tested this variety for those of us Forum Members who are lucky enough to call South Florida, USA, home. The lowdown on the verdict for this avocado is that it seems to be a good, clean, healthy, quality avocado. So far, the oil content seems to be a bit low. The maturity date so far, based on ongoing observations, is that it seems to begin to mature in this location on about the last ten (10) days of October, or the first ten (10) days of November. Carlos has made the following prediction: “Does not seem it is going to get past the end of the year, so it runs with the Monroe, and no one competes with the most elegant of our late fruit.” Commentary: based on Carlos’ observations, this is a fine, healthy, quality avocado that is a tad low on the oil content. Although this cultivar will not fill the ‘S.FL-WAV,’ I’m glad it’s still being propagated, and deservedly so.
For more information and pictures, please go to: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/utuado-avocado.html

“Mango or Avocado 24/7”
Been there, done that; already accomplished (see earlier on this Thread).

“Mango 24/7”
Mango production in South Florida, USA (Production Void):
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December.
‘S.FL-Mango-Void:’ November, December, January, February
The solution to this problem:
November: ‘Keitt’
December-January: ‘Miracle (ChockAnon)’
February: ‘Rosigold’

‘Rosigold’ Update
Commentary: My ‘Rosigold’ mango tree is full of flowers, I mean full of them, flowers on the side that faces the sun, behind the sun, flowers everywhere. I decided to look a bit closer and low and behold, there are marble sized mango fruits on the tree! I guess I’m on my way to having ‘Rosigold’ mango for the month of February, for the very first time in my yard, we’ll see. I’ve been softly pushing (fertilizing) the tree about once per month. If this three can give me fruit in the month of February, then I want it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:04:02 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 21, 2013, 10:47:18 PM »
Mango/Avocado 24/7

'Avocado 24/7'

Today I was given some avocados by a friend of mine whose a real gentleman. He has a seedling avocado tree that he planted himself. I asked him to please keep an eye on the date that the last avocado stays on the tree, to see if his tree fills the 'S.FL-WAV' ('South Florida-Winter Avocado Void) months of March, April, May. His avocados are medium size, good, average quality, and average seed to flesh ratio. He never climbs the tree to get the avocados. Instead, he just waits for them to drop. We'll have to wait until the first few months of 2014, then I'll report on the date his avocado tree held the last fruit. This just goes to show, I've know this friend for many years, and I never suspected that he had a seedling, quality, avocado tree!

'Utuado' Avocado Cultivar Update:
Carlos has given high praises on the taste and overall quality of this avocado cultivar, even going as far as calling it a gem. On October 20, 2013, Carlos picked the first fruit off the tree. Carlos picked the last fruit off the tree on December 16, 2013. Since this was the first year that the tree produced fruit, Carlos says that we’ll have to wait until next year to compare results. On some fruit trees, like avocados (and mangos), the first year of fruit production and the taste of the fruit, are usually not the whole story. The second year of avocado production will most likely reveal a more complete picture of how this ‘Utuado’ avocado cultivar behaves here in S. Florida. For more information and pictures of this ‘Utuado’ avocado cultivar that will make your mouth water, please go to: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/utuado-avocado.html

'Mango 24/7'

My 'Rosigold' mango, which I'm trying to domesticate to give me mangos in the month of February, is on track to do so this year. As of today, the tree has about 40 unripe/green mangos. Their average size is about 3 inches in length. This mango cultivar is a real workhorse. Besides the about 40 mango fruit, the whole tree is covered with mango flowers. Cookie Monster (Jeff), has said on another Thread, that his 'Rosigold' bears fruit twice a year! My plan is to push (fertilize) it lightly every month of the year, giving it about a 1 month break after each crop. Two crops a year is really nice, but what I want is, for it to give me ripe fruit in the month of every February.

I'm planning to have the month of November to be covered by the 'Keitt' mango. And, the months of December-January by the 'Miracle' mango. By doing this, I should be able to have 'Mango 24/7.'

'Mango or Avocado 24/7:' This goal has been covered/accomplished earlier on this Thread.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:53:11 PM by LEOOEL »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
LATE LULA REPORT
« Reply #438 on: February 10, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »
Neighbors Lula still has 17-20 fruit on it today Feb 10 2014. These avocados got better as the season progressed

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2014, 08:09:08 AM »
Updated “Avocado Watch–List”'Gwen:' A seedling bred from 'Hass' x 'Thille' in 1982. The 'Gwen' tree is higher yielding and more dwarfing than Hass in California. The fruit has an oval shape. It is frost-hardy down to −1 °C (30 °F). This variety requires little more than a third of the space of the typical avocado tree and produces "twice" as much fruit. The tree naturally grows about 15 feet in height, but can be kept even smaller because the tree lends itself easily to pruning as it has small limbs. The fruit is set in huge numbers uniformly throughout the tree. Gwen avocados are similar to the Hass in appearance, taste, and texture, but are larger. The green skin is more finely pebbled than Hass, it's thick but pliable, is dull green when ripe with a gold-green and creamy flesh. Most productive of dwarf avocados, best dwarf for outdoor use, also for containers and greenhouse. Season: It's available late winter through late summer; Feb./March/April to Sept./October. As mentioned earlier on this Thread, Forum Member CTMIAMI is field testing this exciting variety.

Even though I'm not growing it under Florida/Cali field conditions which is your primary focus, just wanted to report that my Gwen is full of blossoms, this after being grafted to a Florida pit March of last year.  Compared to my Reed, it shows about 1/3 of the vigor.  That's why it's a dwarf!   ;)

Having said that, we need to have a thread (which I'd be glad to start) for those growing tropical fruits strictly under glass - in greenhouses.

Keep up the good work Leo!

Mark

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 12, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »
"Avocado 24/7"

Thanks to Carlos' research and his bringing forward the article on the 'Kampong' avocado, 'Avocado 24/7' has finally been accomplished as a preliminary first generation/draft.

I am aware that this is not a scientific declaration, as Carlos is currently doing his professional/scientific field testing of the 'Kampong' avocado. Although this is an unscientific, layman, declaration, I'm very comfortable with it. The Article found by Carlos is from the year 2000 and authored by Dr. Richard Campbell. I've been to several live lectures by Dr. Richard Campbell and was fortunate to also have personally met him. In the past, I've bought fruit trees based on his suggestions as to how the trees would behave in time, and time would prove his recommendations to be true. So, I've come to trust his recommendations and I feel very comfortable with what he says in the article that the 'Kampong' fruit production is moderate.

The first generation/draft, accomplished, 'South-Florida Winter-Avocado-Void' Cultivar Tree List:

1 Janurary: 'Monroe'
2 February: 'Lula,' 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
3 March: 'Don-Carlitos' (per: CTMIAMI; alternate bearer?), 'Kampong'
4 April: 'Kampong'
5 May: 'Kampong'
6 June: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds' (per CTMIAMI: Doni & Simmonds taste better in July)
7 July: 'Doni,' 'Simmonds,' 'Catalina'
8 August: 'Catalina,' 'Simmonds,' 'Miguel'
9 September: 'Catalina,' 'Bacon,' 'Miguel'
10 October: 'Hass,' 'Bacon'
11 November: 'Hass,' 'Oro-Negro'
12 December: 'Monroe,' 'Oro-Negro'

I had known about the 'Kampong' avocado but in a different article than the one brought forward by Carlos. In this, different, article, it mentioned that the fruit production of the 'Kampong' was low. Now, to me, there's a big difference between low and what Dr. Richard Campbell calls moderate. I, am eaguer to find out and, think that it will be very interesting to get, the results of Carlos' field testing of the 'Kampong' in South Florida, USA.

The Article by Dr. Richard Campbell mentions that the 'Kampong' can grow to a height of 20 meters, which is the same as 65.6 feet. The bigger the tree, the greater the production. The article mentions that the size of the tree can be maintained/controlled with no problems.

The way I would 'play' the 'Kampong' is as follows: after the tree gives up the last avocado, I would generously fertilize it only that one time per year, and then repeat the same process each following year. The goal is/would-be to domesticate the tree to produce avocados every year, from February to May.

"Mango 24/7"

I'm also calling "Mango 24/7" as being accomplished, again, only in an unscientific, civilian, layman way, as a first generation/draft.

As proposed, I'm now eating mangos off of my 'Rosigold' mango tree in the month of February. I decided to accomplish this last year and it has worked. The only problem is that since I adequately fertilized/pushed the tree every month for the past year, I will not get any ripe 'Rosigold' mangos in the month of March, as I usually do. My solution is to top work a 'Haden' tree with 'Rosigold.' In this way, I'll then have 2 'Rosigold' trees. I'll fertilize one tree every month, and the other I'll fertilize only once a year (after the last fruit on tree is gone). In this way, I'll have mangos for the month of February and March of every year. Of course, this will need to be field tested in subsequent years in order to be confirmed.

As mentioned before, the mango production for the month of November will be covered by 'Keitt.'

My next step is to remove all the mango fruit buds off of my 'Miracle' mango sometime around April of this year, in order to force it produce mango in the months of next December and January.

Mark in Texas, thank you for the kind words, sounds like a great idea for some kind of Glasshouse Avocado 24/7 Thread or something. I have to admit that I've always been very impressed and I've admired you guys up north with fruit trees in 'glasshouses.' During the years that I lived in Louisiana, it never crossed my mind that such a thing was possible. But, after seeing what you guys are able to grow in them, I'm now totally of the belief, that if you and others set your mind to it, that you also could have 'glasshouse' avocado 24/7. If I were in your place, I would concentrate on productive, dwarf avocado varieties, since I don't like to be bothered too much with the trimming/maintenance.

Please excuse this long post, but I think that it's a special occasion. Thanks to Carlos, other fruit tree professionals and Forum Members for your help/assistance on getting this done/accomplished. I can't wait for new improvements to be made that will result in the 2nd generation/draft of "Avocado 24/7" and "Mango 24/7," thanks again everybody, cheers.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:59:34 AM by LEOOEL »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 12, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
.....Mark in Texas, thank you for the kind words, sounds like a great idea for some kind of Glasshouse Avocado 24/7 Thread or something. I have to admit that I've always been very impressed and I've admired you guys up north with fruit trees in 'glasshouses.' During the years that I lived in Louisiana, it never crossed my mind that such a thing was possible. But, after seeing what you guys are able to grow in them, I'm now totally of the belief, that if you and others set your mind to it, that you also could have 'glasshouse' avocado 24/7. If I were in your place, I would concentrate on productive, dwarf avocado varieties, since I don't like to be bothered too much with the trimming/maintenance.

Yep, where your heart is so go your passions, and efforts.  You guys are gonna revolutionize the Florida avocado industry.  Looks like Carlos is the Julie Frink of Florida.  The guy is amazing.

Zone 8a - I like to think we have it all thanks to plenty of chill hours and this year we must be up there around 900+, the usual being 700-800.  That means we can grow the pome fruits, vinifera grapes, etc. fruits that need cold to set fruit well.  Our fruits especially our commercial peaches are some of the sweetest, juiciest and richest in the nation.

Greenhouses - where most have a disadvantage here is the required money and time.  (Properly designed) greenhouses aren't cheap and after paying labor to have mine erected it came out to about $27./s.f. turnkey.  My dwarfs consist of citrus on Flying Dragon, Gwen, Rincon, and Hazzard avocado and Pickering and Mallika mango.  It will be a challenge to keep Reed, Sharwil, and Oro Negro in line but with 10' columns and an 18' ridge it should be manageable.

Time - greenhouses require maintenance, TLC, and the 8-5 guy with 3 kids and a wife is better off with a tropical climate and a few yard trees.  You'll have disease and insect pressure growing in a greenhouse than outdoors.  You also must provide for ingress and egress of pollinators. In spite of the very cold, extended freezing temps "my" wild honey bees are going nuts. 

One botanical 'given' is plants require a good day to night differential to do well.  I used to live in Corpus Christi, 27* latitude, and growing tomatoes and other stuff was a battle.  It was not unusual for the night time lows on an August sunrise to be 82F!  Bam, there go your blossoms.  Hard on man, beast and plants! I retired and was working with TX A&M to put in an avocado research field study, sell backyard plants and commercial fruit until I decided to move out of that oven north.  Now the trend has caught on in the coastal and warmer areas of Texas where avocado trees and other tropicals such as mangos, papayas and bananas  can be found for sale in every nursery from San Antonio down south.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:52:30 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »
 double post

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Nice work. Now we just need a post at the end of every month reporting on the avos and mangoes from that month. :)
Shane

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Leo look at this chart. I think I will give a try to Winter Mexican. I think this is the fruit sold at Nornan Brothers in 87 Avenue south of Sunset in Miami in March and April. I think it would grow well here. Well someone is growing them. I wonder if any of the Forum member is growing it he in Dade?

carlos,
winter mexican is started in my greenhouse in north fla.  3 gal grafted from jene's tropicals in st pete. planted june 2013 only vegetative growth so far.  seems to have a "weeping" growth habit.  other than that, nothing to report (yet)

treefrog
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:56:09 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 12, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Congrats Leo. We've achive this with mangos in SoCal with Sadabahar everbearing, Manohar and the resuscitation of old California cultivar Cooper and seedling of Cambodiana. With avocados we have many combination that will keep us enjoying them year round

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 16, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »
I picked the last 11 avocados from my friend's Choquette tree yesterday.  Some of them probably would have remained on the tree another month.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:13:30 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 16, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Yeah, I have tasted 3 lbs Choquettes in early April
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »

Leo, I think that is significant for you.  Add that one to your list.  Choquette in March and April. ;D  Carlos, what do you think of the Choquette flavor?  I find it pretty bland.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:06:23 AM by johnb51 »
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 18, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »

Leo, I think that is significant for you.  Add that one to your list.  Choquette in March and April. ;D  Carlos, what do you think of the Choquette flavor?  I find it pretty bland.
I agree, for a late fruit is bland.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com