Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211516 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
Carlos, yamagatas starting to ripen. If I have room I'll pack some for you in August.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Zands and Mark in Texas, some fruit trees/plants need to be 'pushed' more than others with fertizizer... i.e. I have an edible 'dendrocalamus gigantus' bamboo, and it needs to be 'pushed' quite a lot, about once a month.
It seems to me that striking a balance between organic, chemical, manure... fertizing would be an appropriate, balanced method to use.

JF, while CTMIAMI is very busy doing his avocado magic, allow me to say that this 'Avocado-Cultivar-Comparison-Tasting' is now really getting exciting and interesting, with you sending Carlos Yamagata avocado cultivar, and Cuban007 sending Carlos Hass avocado cultivar.
Let the 'Avocado-Cultivar-Comparison-Tasting' ('ACCT') begin.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:17:17 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2013, 01:25:05 AM »
Johnb51, so Fuerte tastes better than Hass, good to know, thanks for the info; can't wait to try it.

Fuerte are the first CA avocados I ever ate.  They're unbelievably good and superior to Hass, I would say, although it's been several years since I had one.  The market has definitely latched on to Hass with more than a half-dozen Hass-type varieties and almost year-round availability.  But let's not fight over avocados, boys!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:05 AM »
Carlos, yamagatas starting to ripen. If I have room I'll pack some for you in August.
I did not know you had fruiting Yamagata. Interesting they are ripening now.  Yes bring some if you can I have never tasted it. your house soil produces magical fruit.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
Johnb51, so Fuerte tastes better than Hass, good to know, thanks for the info; can't wait to try it.

Fuerte are the first CA avocados I ever ate.  They're unbelievably good and superior to Hass, I would say, although it's been several years since I had one.  The market has definitely latched on to Hass with more than a half-dozen Hass-type varieties and almost year-round availability.  But let's not fight over avocados, boys!
JF send me a Fuerte and I thought it was one of the best avocados I ever tasted. I tell you JF soil is like the holy grail of soils. If I recall it was last December.  Of course I don't expect the tree to behave the same here.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I did not know you had fruiting Yamagata. Interesting they are ripening now.  Yes bring some if you can Ihave never tasted it. your house soil produces magical fruit.
[/quote

Hey Carlos

I don't grow yamagata but friends of mine from OC CRFG chapter do. My friend made my sharwil for me last year because it  was the best of the Hawaiian avos i tried.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2013, 01:56:03 AM »
In this update of the 'Quality Avocado List' that could fill the 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida Winter Avocado Void), it would be very helpful to know if S. Florida Forum Members are growing all of these promising, quality avocado cultivars. If these cultivars were all being grown in S. Florida, we could then begin to learn of their fruiting behavior. And, we could then say for sure if they do fill the 'SFL-WAV.'

1   Sharwil (Only one Forum Member has indicated having this cultivar. It would certainly have more 'backup' presence here, if more Forum Members had this cultivar.)

2   Fujikawa (It seems that no Forum Member is known to be growing this promising quality avocado cultivar in S. Florida, USA, as of this date.)

3   Fuerte (One Forum Member has it, more are needed, if only as backup.)

4   Jan Boyce (CTMIAMI has it, and now I am fortunate to have it also.)

5   Yamagata (No forum member is known to be growing this promising quality avocado cultivar in S. FL, USA, as of this date; it's available at Top Tropicals, in Florida.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:34:50 PM by LEOOEL »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2013, 11:06:39 PM »

JF send me a Fuerte and I thought it was one of the best avocados I ever tasted. I tell you JF soil is like the holy grail of soils. If I recall it was last December.  Of course I don't expect the tree to behave the same here.

Yes, good soil in California!  But at least it rains a lot in Florida (some days too much, like today)!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:12:07 PM by johnb51 »
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2013, 01:46:20 AM »
We may have achieved/reached our goal of avocado 24/7 successfully?

Two new additions to the 'List,' avocado cultivars: "Doni" and "Monroe"

In this update of the 'List,' the 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida Winter Avocado Void) is 'filled' if one were to add "Doni," "Monroe" and the "Lula" avocado cultivars.
And, the Ripening Periods mentioned below, held to be valid/true.

1   Sharwil (Ripening Period: Unknown; Only one Forum Member has indicated having this cultivar.)

2   Fujikawa (Ripening Period: Unknown; It seems that no Forum Member is growing this avocado cultivar in S. Florida)

3   Fuerte (Ripening Period: Unknown; One Forum Member has it)

4   Jan Boyce (Ripening Period: Unknown; CTMIAMI has it, and I have it also.)

5   "Yamagata" (Ripening Period: March - April, according to Top Tropicals Nursery in FL; No forum member is known to be growing this avocado cultivar in S. FL)

6   "Doni" (Ripening Period: May - June, according to Pine Island Nursery in S. FL and ECHO Nursery in FL; I have a small young tree)

7   "Monroe" (Ripening Period: November - January, according to Pine Island Nursery; I have a small young tree)

NOTE: I live in Miami, South Florida, USA. And, During the first six months of this year, January - June, I've had no ripe avocados in my yard.
If the above Avocado Cultivar Ripening Periods were to be true for South Florida, then the 'South Florida Winter Avocado Void' (SFL-WAV) would be filled except for only one month, the month of February. Which, would also be filled if we added the Lula avocad cultivar to the above list; This year, I was able to pick the last Lula avocado fruit from a tree in S. FL, in early March.

To confirm that the 'SFL-WAV' is filled, actual verification of the above 'Ripening Periods' is needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:29:47 AM by LEOOEL »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
Carlos grows Doni/Donnie.  He says they ripen June to August.
John

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »
Leooel,
Fujikawa is being evaluated here in Fort Myers.
My tree looks like it was double grafted and is growing at a super slow snail pace.  The tree is barely a couple feet tall and flowered like there was no tomorrow. 
I plan to graft a few scions on  Choquette rootstocks to observe the growth rate.
My understanding is that Fujikawa is an excellent variety in Hawaii.  Lets hope it will adapt to our wet and humid climate.           

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
Leooel,
Fujikawa is being evaluated here in Fort Myers.
My tree looks like it was double grafted and is growing at a super slow snail pace.  The tree is barely a couple feet tall and flowered like there was no tomorrow. 
I plan to graft a few scions on  Choquette rootstocks to observe the growth rate.
My understanding is that Fujikawa is an excellent variety in Hawaii.  Lets hope it will adapt to our wet and humid climate.         

Fujikawa will have to adapt to your drier climate. It rains a lot more here and is more humid than in Florida. (Average rainfall here is 150 in. per year.) Only your average temperatures are higher. I'm guessing it, and most other Hawaiian cultivars, will do just fine there. They grow here fine in Kona where it is probably more like your climate: drier and with higher average temperatures.
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
Actually I had a Domi for lunch today. It was very good. They will stay in the tree until the end of July and improve as time goes on.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
Actually I had a Domi for lunch today. It was very good. They will stay in the tree until the end of July and improve as time goes on.

I know you're not a fan of Miguel, Carlos, but since I have both a Simmonds and a Miguel, I'm hoping Miguel also will "improve as time goes on,"  meaning I'll try to leave the Miguels on the tree until September/October and make the Simmonds last until August.  Do you think that's doable, Carlos?
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:54 AM »
Johnb51, 'Ripening Periods' tend to move-around/dance a little every year, more in some years than others (I've specially noticed this with my two Keitt mango trees).
But, if Carlos has said that the 'Ripening Period' for 'Doni' is June-August (and not May-June), then I guess we still need to look for an avocado cultivar that fills in the month of May.
To be on the safe side and in order to have avocados 24/7, I agree with what Carlos has said, that when we finally fill the 'SFL-WAV,' we will keep going and fill it in with a few more cultivars.
By the way, I did not know that Carlos has the 'Doni' avocado cultivar, although I'm glad he has it, I must say that I'm not surprised, he has an excellent collection.

Berto, that is awesome/exciting news, that you're currently evaluating 'Fujikawa' in Fort Myers, thank you for that, God speed to you and your efforts.
If your 'Fujikawa' is flowering like crazy, that is definitely a good sign. If it's growing slow, it's probably because it's shooting its roots deep underground in search of well water, and when it finds it watch out, it'll probably start growing at a good pace. Although, I'm sure that 'Fruitlovers' probably knows more about the 'Fujikawa's' growing habit than we do.
With your help, and the help of other members in the 'Tropical Fruit Forum,' we should have the 'SFL-WAV' filled in no time (because time flies my friend).

CTMIAMI, I would also like to thank you for originally bringing the wonderful Fujikawa avocado cultivar into the 'radar' of this thread.
Also, I'm waiting for the 'Dupoi' and 'Fuerte' avocado fruit that I got from you to ripen. When they do, I plan to report on their (taste) quality.
They are really nice, good looking avocados, thank you for the generous, thoughtful treat of letting me try them out.

Fruitlovers, thank you for your encouraging comments/predictions as to how 'Fujikawa' should/will do here in South Florida. Your observations make a lot of sense.
I guess that as far as avocados go, South Florida, USA, can be considered to be 'virgin avocado territory.'
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:40:54 PM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »

I know you're not a fan of Miguel, Carlos, but since I have both a Simmonds and a Miguel, I'm hoping Miguel also will "improve as time goes on,"  meaning I'll try to leave the Miguels on the tree until September/October and make the Simmonds last until August.  Do you think that's doable, Carlos?
May be doable if you cut your nitrogen intake to almost nothing. If you are fertilizing too much the fruit will get large and drop on both.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2013, 01:18:18 AM »
In this update of the 'List,' to fill the 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida Winter Avocado Void), the 'Fuerte' avocado cultivar has been removed.

The reason for the removal of 'Fuerte,' is due to the description given to 'Fuerte' by ECHO Nursery in Florida:
"'Fuerte' (B type) is a Mexican & Guatemalan cross, commercially grown in many regions of the world. The fruit is small (12-14 oz.) with dark green bumpy skin.
This cultivar is better suited to drier climates - a wet summer can cause the fruit to rot. This variety is not recommended for Florida. Bears Nov-Dec."
NOTE: 'CTMIAMI' is currently in the process of more accurately observing the actual behavior of 'Fuerte' in S. Florida.

1   Sharwil (Ripening Period: Unknown; Only one Forum Member has indicated having this cultivar.)

2   Fujikawa (Ripening Period: Unknown; Forum Member 'Berto' is growing this avocado cultivar in Ft. Meyers, along with others)

3   Jan Boyce (Ripening Period: Unknown; Forum Members 'CTMIAMI' and 'LEOOEL' have it.)

4   Yamagata (Ripening Period: March-April, according to Top Tropicals Nursery in FL; No forum member is known to be growing this avocado cultivar in S. FL)

5   Doni (Ripening Period: May-June, per Pine Island Nursery in S. FL and ECHO Nursery in FL; June-August, per 'CTMIAMI'; 'CTMIAMI' and 'LEOOEL' have it)

6   Monroe (Ripening Period: November-January, per Pine Island Nursery (Forum Members have confirmed this); Nov-Dec, per ECHO Nursery; Forum Members have it)

P.S.   If we were to create an avocado cocktail tree made up of 'Monroe,' 'Lula,' 'Yamagata,' and 'Doni,' then, theoretically, quality avocados would be available to anyone in South Florida, USA, during the first six months of the year, if they had this avocado cocktail tree; NOTE: This would only be true if the Ripening Periods for 'Yamagata' and 'Doni' held to be true. In order to have avocados for the last six months of the year, another avocado cocktail tree would be needed.

Good progress has been made as far as the Ripening Period information on the 'List'. Only three of the six cultivars on the 'List' have a Ripening Period that is unknown.
Thank you again to 'Berto' and everyone else, that has contributed to having quality avocados 24/7 in S. Florida a reality, please keep it coming.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:32:00 AM by LEOOEL »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
May be doable if you cut your nitrogen intake to almost nothing. If you are fertilizing too much the fruit will get large and drop on both.

Carlos, I'm a nitrogen freak and perhaps I need to change my ways.  I give my tropicals a high N food like a slow release 18-4-9 Polyon or Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6.  Sometimes Peters Citrus FeED - 20-10-20.   I've got 8 very nice Oro Negro hanging on a small tree and don't want to screw this up.  Trunk girth is at least 1 1/2" which apparently is the key element of how many to leave hanging.  May sound trite to a commercial grower but to me who is doing the greenhouse thing, I'm trying to "do good" regarding my foods.  You've done the tissue cultures and you Florida growers seem to hit your mangos and cados with a high K food.  Am I going gonna screw this thing up ya think?

Since most of your cados are grafted to Waldin, here's the relative effect of rootstock on scion leaf nutrient uptake according to studies done by Lahav and Whitney, 2002.

West Indian rootstock
N - L
P - H
K - M
Ca - L
Mg - H

(high, medium, low)

Thanks,
Mark
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:27:06 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Mark, nothing wrong with Nitrogen. I used it extensively on my early varieties. Now on the late varieties like Monroe, Lula  and your Oro Negro fruit that stays in the tree a long time it causes fruit to keep growing and eventually drop in the early range of maturity.  Example if you feed a lot of nitrogen most of the Monroes will drop by the first week in January of course you would pick them. Lower or almost nothing nitrogen will keep the Monroes a few extra weeks in the tree.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2013, 09:56:25 AM »
Mark, nothing wrong with Nitrogen. I used it extensively on my early varieties. Now on the late varieties like Monroe, Lula  and your Oro Negro fruit that stays in the tree a long time it causes fruit to keep growing and eventually drop in the early range of maturity.  Example if you feed a lot of nitrogen most of the Monroes will drop by the first week in January of course you would pick them. Lower or almost nothing nitrogen will keep the Monroes a few extra weeks in the tree.

Thanks.  I'll back off or switch to high K food come fall, perhaps Peters Blossom Booster - 10-30-20.  In spite of the high N food, it's amazing how compact the Oro Negro is growing - short internodes.  I'm beginning to think it's the Bonzi PGR at work.  Had little effect on the others.  Also, the ON is one of the few cados that doesn't burn when hit with an insecticide.  I can't even use Forbid 4F at a tiny rate of 1/8 (.5ml) per gallon without most of my varietals' small leaves rolling up and turning black or at least getting margin scorch.  Got rid of the mites but the damn white flies are still there. 

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Mark I want you to live many years, Forbid is actually forbidden on food items is only for ornaments.   Try insecticidal soap, or light oil, test it first or Bayer Citrus systemic. it is imidacloprid. It does not get into the fruit at least on avocado.  The better alternative find someone to split a gallon of Admire pro  $170.00  and make your own solution of 5ml to a gallon for 50 cents instead of buying the Home Depot for $14.00. It will last you several years. Do not apply  before or during blooming.  Good by while fly and all other sucking insects.  Remember too much of anything is bad. It take a few weeks for the tree to up take this product so start with 3 ml per gal and see how it is 30 days later.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permision.
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Mark I want you to live many years, Forbid is actually forbidden on food items is only for ornaments.   Try insecticidal soap, or light oil, test it first or Bayer Citrus systemic. it is imidacloprid. It does not get into the fruit at least on avocado.  The better alternative find someone to split a gallon of Admire pro  $170.00  and make your own solution of 5ml to a gallon for 50 cents instead of buying the Home Depot for $14.00. It will last you several years. Do not apply  before or during blooming.  Good by while fly and all other sucking insects.  Remember too much of anything is bad. It take a few weeks for the tree to up take this product so start with 3 ml per gal and see how it is 30 days later.

Carlos, according to a tech at Bayer, Forbid is only labeled for ornamentals because it has not been put through the EPA process.  IOW, Bayer has not submitted it for testing on edibles.  Doesn't mean it's harmful to one's health....just hasn't been tested.  It acts like an oil by drying out the pest, in all stages of development as opposed to being a toxin.

I buy and use the hell outta imdacloprid and used it several times as a spray and drench on my greenhouse stock as well as my vineyard.  I still have white flies and the down side is it must have killed mite predators because about 3 months after a couple of applications I had the mite attack, on everything.  Also, Admire Pro is a rip off.  Another down side to Admire is the limited shelf life.  The active ingredient will settle out over time and not go back into solution by shaking it.  Try this at 1/10 the cost for the same product labeled on about anything edible and a WP powder which is much more practical.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Adonis+75+WSP+Imidacloprid+75%25&_sop=15   

1.6 oz/300 gallons or 1 --2 oz per acre!

Did you know that only 10 ppb, (yes, that's billion) will kill sharpshooters, leafhoppers and such?  Those pests carry and inject into the xylem a deadly pathogen called Pierce's Disease which has wiped out vineyards from coast to coast, especially Cali and Texas.  Imidacloprid not only kills these carriers, it actually repels them.

Appreciate the responses, hope mine will save you some time and money.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:50:57 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
May be storing Admire Pro over a long time may not work but I find it indispensable
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
May be storing Admire Pro over a long time may not work but I find it indispensable

I do too but perhaps you missed my points in my previous post I said:

"I buy and use the hell outta imdacloprid and used it several times as a spray and drench on my greenhouse stock as well as my vineyard.  I still have white flies and the down side is it must have killed mite predators because about 3 months after a couple of applications I had the mite attack, on everything.  Also, Admire Pro is a rip off.  Another down side to Admire is the limited shelf life.  The active ingredient will settle out over time and not go back into solution by shaking it.  Try this at 1/10 the cost for the same product labeled on about anything edible and a WP powder which is much more practical.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Adonis+75+WSP+Imidacloprid+75%25&_sop=15   

1.6 oz/300 gallons or 1 --2 oz per acre! "

Just trying to save you money while getting the same results.  "Back in the old days" I bought Admire Pro, BUT, there is no reason to buy Admire Pro now that the patent has expired which has induced a huge price drop in imidacloprid.  Last time I bought it was an order for 7 sealed foil packs.  That's (4) 2.25oz packs of the 75% WP per foil pack, enough to make 1,700 gals. of spray material, for $36!!!!!  ;)   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:27:01 AM by Mark in Texas »

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
I have a 1 pound bag of Tetra San 5 WDG Miticide/ Ovicide forsale or trade.

Thanks,

Ed