Author Topic: It’s really big, but is it big enough?  (Read 2305 times)

smartdriver

• East Los Angeles/ Alhambra, CA 10A
    • View Profile
It’s really big, but is it big enough?
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
Building new planter boxes for my wife’s 1x Atemoya and 2x Longan tree. Our soil is clay and limited space for growing so planter boxes will be on top of concrete, any advice is appreciated. Will be hard to move without hoist or platte jack, especially when filled with soil.

Also I was recommended to use Osmocote Plus Outdoor and Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food in March, June, October, is it correct?

Wondering if the size is okay for mature root growth? 42”L x 42”W x 36”H (Actual 44x44x34)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Re: It’s really big, but is it big enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:21:25 PM »
Did I do my math is correct??
1 gallon = 231 cubic inches
42 x 42 x 36 = 63504 cubic inches = 275 gallons

It does look big but is it really 10 times bigger than a 25 gallon pot?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:23:19 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
The trees you’re trying to grow in pots are all huge trees when fully grown. They are not recommended for pot culture but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done, it’s just not ideal.

You will have to treat the trees almost like Bonsai trees. The trees should initially grow fine as long as you’re giving them good soil, water and fertilizer but eventually the pot will fill with roots and the root health will deteriorate due to root circling and fibrous feeder roots choking itself out.

At that point, you will have to trim the roots and the canopy. Doing this is a difficult task but it will renew the vigor and production of the tree. Potted trees need root pruning. Not root pruning trees that have been in pots for extended periods of time is one of the biggest mistakes that gardeners make.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
Something seems amiss. A container of that size would be roughly a cubic yard, but it doesn't look like those boxes could hold anywhere near a cubic yard  of soil. That trash can in the background is probably 60 - 80 gallons and it looks bigger than the boxes.
Jeff  :-)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:06:56 PM »
No is is Not Big enough.

Over the next 2-3 years, your plant will become root bound and the dead and decaying roots will cause a slow decline over time.

Short term you're Ok, the good news. Long term it's bad news. Ever seen citrus in a container after 5-6 years, not a pretty site.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:09:21 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:26 PM »
I’ve seen some really big trees growing out of containers smaller than that.  Longwood Gardens is pretty well known near me and they have a dozen or so very heathy grapefruit and kumquat trees in containers about that size.  It might be work out fine.  I don’t know anything about your tree types though.

The palace at Versailles has a ton of citrus trees in containers like that that are in casters.  They wheel them in for the winter.  You could do the same.

Acacia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »
Plant them in those boxes and then start working on removing all that concrete and fixing the soil

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »
Haha! In all seriousness, that's what I would do.

Plant them in those boxes and then start working on removing all that concrete and fixing the soil
Jeff  :-)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »
Smart driver I took a Gallon of Sand and emptied into a 8'' x 11'' x 2 5/8'' box and got 231 cubic inches, so the Formula is correct.   Sand fills a C.I. better than growing Soil. Here's something else I did, I measured one of my 25 Gal. Container top to bottom was 18'' high,divided it by 2 and measured it at  mid. point 9'' high, I then measured across it was 20 1/2'', I divided by two = 10 1/4'' inches, here's the equation ------->>
10.125'' x 10.125'' x 3.14(pie) x 18'' =5794.18 divided by 231= 25.08 Gallons, that would be filling my 25 Gal Container to the top.

Jeff I agree,  a 42''x42''x 36'' =63504'' divided by (1 Cubic Ft.1728'') = 36.75 C.FT. Divided by 1 Cubic Yard (27C.Ft.)=1.36 Yards of Soil.
The first pic. appears to be around 4ft wide, maybe that one will hold that much, but the Pic. of the planters don't look big enough to hold  1.36  Yards of Soil, but according to measurements they will hold that amount, if those where inside dimensions.

Carlos

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 05:34:12 PM »
Tsk tsk, have none of you heard about the TARDIS?
Its bigger inside than it looks outside :)

Sorry, couldn't help it, tribute to all Dr Who fans out there..

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Orkine , yes I have heard, Time and Relative Dimension in Space  Tardis it develops the Mental link with the ussers.
Very much like Containers and Soil!!!!!
Carlos