Author Topic: Most Northern Avocado Grove?  (Read 3657 times)

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
Most Northern Avocado Grove?
« on: October 06, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
The most northern Avocado trees?  Hello my name is Ryan. I live in Hiouchi California outside of Crescent city.  It’s right near the Oregon border.  You’re a couple pictures of my tree there about 20 feet tall and about 3 1/2 years old .  We have a clay type toil with tons of rocks and about 70% rock .  It’s right near Jedediah Smith redwoods .  You’re protected by a little foothills there about 600 feet tall .  Have a micro climate up here it’s about 75 to 85° in the summertime .  I really never gets below 30° and if it does it’s only for a couple hours which would be about 28° .  I have one large Hass and one large Zutano tree.  It’s always about 60 to 80% humidity up here  .  We get anywhere from 80 inches to 150 inches of rain here.  Plan on planning an orchard on another property above my house that faces west .  I believe they’re also microclimates outside of Eureka and Brookings California .  Maybe even up farther north along the Oregon coast .  I was wondering if anyone had any input or knew other people growing avocado trees this far north.  No there’s a guy south of Eureka that has started an Orchard.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Most Northern Avocado Grove?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
Looks and sounds amazing.  Love the old growth redwood parks in that area.  Prarie creek was one of our favorites.  Would love to buy 20 acres on a river there and disappear.

Your avocados are probably amazing if left on the tree for extended periods.  I guess hass should be extra ripe now after 18 mo on the tree?
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
Most northern are in Europe in france and Italy at same altitude as Toronto.
https://youtu.be/lOWGg9Sq95U

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:30:45 PM »
Ok. I mean in the USA.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
Looks and sounds amazing.  Love the old growth redwood parks in that area.  Prarie creek was one of our favorites.  Would love to buy 20 acres on a river there and disappear.

Your avocados are probably amazing if left on the tree for extended periods.  I guess hass should be extra ripe now after 18 mo on the tree?

Got my first crop last year. Tasted just like hass in the store. Will have to see how long they stay on the tree for.  I kind of just planted them out of maybe it will work out .  Not many people I’ve ever tried up here .  We don’t have a lack of water problem .  I’m gonna  planet orchard of about 100 trees .  With the theory I could sell cheaper and better avocados than the stores .

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »
 Seems like four winds growers is the best shot of getting more avocado trees up here .  Does anyone have any idea of a better supplier I’m going to get the trees about $28 each with shipping .  The trees are 5 x 5 x 12“,  about 3 feet tall .

I’m also looking for Gem avocados and Sharwil but can’t find any.  Anyone know of any nurseries that are selling them at a reasonable price ?  I’m going to be buying about 130 to 150 trees .  I’ve also sparked interest in a couple of my neighbors and they’re going to be purchasing about 40 trees .

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
You should plant seeds and graft your own trees.  Otherwise you probably need to contact brokaw nursery for a large order.  Thats who 4 winds buys from.
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Wow, that's way cool Ruger your in a nice micro climate for sure best of luck on your new orchard. I would add Brad's advice is best choice 8)

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
You should plant seeds and graft your own trees.  Otherwise you probably need to contact brokaw nursery for a large order.  Thats who 4 winds buys from.

Would you suggest I use Zutano rootstock?  I hear that most everyone does but I’m not for sure what the difference between Zutano and colonial rootstock is but I do know that the Zutano tree seems to be the most vigorous avocado tree .  My Zutano tree is about twice as vigerous as Hass.

Another follow-up question is there any avocado tree that has more vigour than the Zutano? I grew up with the Zutano tree in Sacramento and it was about 3 feet wide at the base but the tree was 40 feet in each direction above our pool and had anywhere from 600 to 900 avocados ever year.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
Zutano seems to be a fine rootstock.  You might be able to order 100 zutano seeds in bags from brokaw for cheap.  I would go with those.  Clonal rootstock can be more salt tolerant(doesnt matter for you) or more root rot resistant. 

I would try and contact brokaw and tell them what you are doing and what your soil and rainfall is like and see what they say. 
Brad Spaugh

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 11:08:46 PM »
Zutano seems to be a fine rootstock.  You might be able to order 100 zutano seeds in bags from brokaw for cheap.  I would go with those.  Clonal rootstock can be more salt tolerant(doesnt matter for you) or more root rot resistant. 

I would try and contact brokaw and tell them what you are doing and what your soil and rainfall is like and see what they say.

I called Brokaw nursery today .  They want like $32-$34 a tree so I doubt that four winds is getting them from them anymore because they’re offering me a 30% discount if I buy more than 120 trees.  It would make each tree about 24 1/2 dollars plus shipping which would be about $28 . They also can not get Gem or Sharwil trees.

The trees from four winds are 5 x 5” and 12 inches deep and 2 to 3 feet tall .  Not sure where they’re getting them from but they can’t be getting them from Brokaw. Brokaw doesn’t give discounts not matter how many you buy too.   Somehow four winds is still getting a discount for over 120 trees .

Of course I will graft my own trees when I’m able to grow some Zutano seeds I do have a Zutano tree so I should be able to start doing that soon .

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
Ive bought trade wind trees and they are ok, they are lanky twigs but of course they will grow fine once they get going. 

You can get much nicer trees at clausons in san diego for 18$ each.  I dont know if they will have 100 trees to sell, maybe hass trees.  You can call them, but those are 5 gal trees in grow bags in DG.  Much bigger rootstock and tree than the mail order trees.  They are heavy like a brick though. 

Theres also Atkins nursery in san diego county that quoted me 3$ each for zutano rootstocks in small grow bags also.  You could call them as well but neither of those places are going to send you trees.  You could drive them back I guess but it might not be worth it.

I will have a lot of bacon seeds if you are interested.  They will be ready in december and make great rootstocks.  The trees are super vigorous.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and keep us updated. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:34:28 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
One other thing to condsider is when planting young avocado trees is its important to start with good trees that wont need staking or will need minimal staking.  Thats a big advantage to growing your own trees from seed.  You can direct sow them or plant in pots and transplant.  But your trees if left out in the elements will never need to be staked.  Or only minimal corrective staking.  If you buy 100 trees from trade wind, you will have to stake every one of them and probably need multiple stakes to get them to stand up properly.  Their trees are really weak and lanky and will require a lot of labor to correct.  Trust me on this that is much nicer to start with strong trees that dont require a lot of corrective staking and pruning.  When you have to do 100 trees, it will be a ton of labor spent on correcting trees that were bad from the start.  If you want to see some pics of trade wind trees I can take some tomorrow.  If you are patient, getting seeds or seedlings and grafting will save you a lot of money and your trees will start out on the right foot also.  Just something to consider.  These are things you figure out the hard way after planting lots of trees from various nurseries and growing and grafting your own.  Ive got about 70 avocado trees and wish I had known a lot of these things before I started. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:44:39 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 05:11:35 AM »
They seem to have outdoor avocado trees even in the UK. And somebody tried to persuade me to grow them in Germany, too.

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
Your trees are looking really healthy and even better they are producing fruit.  Do you irrigate them during the summer or are they on rainfall alone?

About 12 years ago I saw an Avocado tree in Brookings, Oregon.  I asked the owner about the tree and they did not even know what kind of tree it was.  It was around 12-15 feet tall but I did not see any fruit on the tree.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
Your trees are looking really healthy and even better they are producing fruit.  Do you irrigate them during the summer or are they on rainfall alone?

About 12 years ago I saw an Avocado tree in Brookings, Oregon.  I asked the owner about the tree and they did not even know what kind of tree it was.  It was around 12-15 feet tall but I did not see any fruit on the tree.

In the harbor it’s probably not hot enough to fruit. Unless you get past the foothills to block the ocean flog it never get above 70 degrees in the day.

Yes I water them once a week from June to late August. There is no rain during those months. Every other time of the year we get 80 plus inches.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 01:43:51 PM »
Ive bought trade wind trees and they are ok, they are lanky twigs but of course they will grow fine once they get going. 

You can get much nicer trees at clausons in san diego for 18$ each.  I dont know if they will have 100 trees to sell, maybe hass trees.  You can call them, but those are 5 gal trees in grow bags in DG.  Much bigger rootstock and tree than the mail order trees.  They are heavy like a brick though. 

Theres also Atkins nursery in san diego county that quoted me 3$ each for zutano rootstocks in small grow bags also.  You could call them as well but neither of those places are going to send you trees.  You could drive them back I guess but it might not be worth it.

I will have a lot of bacon seeds if you are interested.  They will be ready in december and make great rootstocks.  The trees are super vigorous.

Thanks for the info.  Definitely will look into this but it’s a very long drive To  San Diego like 15 or 16 hours one-way .

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »
They seem to have outdoor avocado trees even in the UK. And somebody tried to persuade me to grow them in Germany, too.

If it really never gets below 30° you got a shot . I think I’m gonna find out his believe the avocados would do better if they actually get 100 inches of rain a year.  I believe they actually get that in their natural habitat of Guatemala.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
One other thing to condsider is when planting young avocado trees is its important to start with good trees that wont need staking or will need minimal staking.  Thats a big advantage to growing your own trees from seed.  You can direct sow them or plant in pots and transplant.  But your trees if left out in the elements will never need to be staked.  Or only minimal corrective staking.  If you buy 100 trees from trade wind, you will have to stake every one of them and probably need multiple stakes to get them to stand up properly.  Their trees are really weak and lanky and will require a lot of labor to correct.  Trust me on this that is much nicer to start with strong trees that dont require a lot of corrective staking and pruning.  When you have to do 100 trees, it will be a ton of labor spent on correcting trees that were bad from the start.  If you want to see some pics of trade wind trees I can take some tomorrow.  If you are patient, getting seeds or seedlings and grafting will save you a lot of money and your trees will start out on the right foot also.  Just something to consider.  These are things you figure out the hard way after planting lots of trees from various nurseries and growing and grafting your own.  Ive got about 70 avocado trees and wish I had known a lot of these things before I started.

Thanks. Looking for stronger trees. May not be doable.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »

I called both Clausons and Atkins and they have very little stock right now and don’t carry most of the kinds I’m looking for .  I have no idea when more trees are going to be in stock .  Clawson‘s has the best price at $20 a tree.  But they only really carry hass.

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 05:59:37 PM »
 I have some good news I have a friend who’s going down to San Diego so he could bring me trees on the way back .  Having a very hard time finding anything other than hass though.  Need these other varieties as well .

Thanks

Ryan

Rugerfann777

• Del Norte CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 01:33:24 AM »
Looking for a a Duke, found all my other varieties.

I heard that they do taste pretty much like the hass avocado, nutty and rich.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 03:08:38 PM »
There is grower in sheltered cove, Ca up by you he just planted a fair amount of hass but if i were you i would pay the extra cost and buy from brokaw you will have better options than limiting yourself to only growing on zutano seeds

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »
Buy and plant out young tree’s after winter.
Four winds tree’s have had weak rootstock in my opinion.
Start Bacon or Zutano for rootstock and then graft them. They could grow faster and workout better in the long run. All the scion and cultivars you want can be found here.
Winters a comin. Enjoy!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 01:33:44 PM »
Buy and plant out young tree’s after winter.
Four winds tree’s have had weak rootstock in my opinion.
Start Bacon or Zutano for rootstock and then graft them. They could grow faster and workout better in the long run. All the scion and cultivars you want can be found here.
Winters a comin. Enjoy!

Yeah I got a couple mail order trees and the roots were all rotted already in the pots.  They use a very light media in the pots to keep shipping costs down and it has to be watered daily.  And the trees look like they were all crammed together and getting labky and weak from not enough sunlight and leaning on each other. 

You are right about seeds being better.  Its hard to convince people thats the better option.  People tend to want instant gratification.  Thats just not usually how gardening goes. 
Brad Spaugh