Author Topic: To Cut or Not to Cut  (Read 774 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
To Cut or Not to Cut
« on: August 02, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
My young Lychee had die back on the main trunk and the horizontal limb on the right is growing faster than the
vertical section. Should I remove the horizontal limb on the right to allow the vertical one to grow faster or just
leave it as is?

TIA

Michael

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: To Cut or Not to Cut
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
My vote: Leave Be

Small tree with limited resources in trunk and limbs. I would not deplete those resources.

In about 3 years, you could always air layer any unwanted limbs if you wait.

Tree will eventually grow vertically more. Presently few limbs horizontally and plenty of sun hitting all horizontal limbs without shading them so tree has no huge urge to grow vertically currently.

I don't see any Kents on that mango tree. I hope you had some this year on another tree?

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: To Cut or Not to Cut
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
My vote: Leave Be

Small tree with limited resources in trunk and limbs. I would not deplete those resources.

In about 3 years, you could always air layer any unwanted limbs if you wait.

Tree will eventually grow vertically more. Presently few limbs horizontally and plenty of sun hitting all horizontal limbs without shading them so tree has no huge urge to grow vertically currently.

I don't see any Kents on that mango tree. I hope you had some this year on another tree?

Thanks!
That's my Carrie in the background. My Kent had about 50 mangoes but were hit hard by anthracnose due to all the rain.
Michael