Author Topic: dragon fruit cutting is growing roots at the top?  (Read 16024 times)

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
Re: dragon fruit cutting is growing roots at the top?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »

Look at the wavy part in the examples above.

If the "waves" were water waves...  they would be "breaking" towards the end that goes up.

Thanks! That is what I looked at and took a guess. Sadly, few of my cuttings were upside down and I wondered why they didn't shoot.  :P

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
Reading all this and realizing that my Dragon Fruit planted from seed was moving along very slowly prompted me to risk a few dollars and buy a pink Dragon Fruit cutting on ebay.
Wish me luck.

JeffDM why not buy it to MattsLandscape, He is a real deal

8)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
Reading all this and realizing that my Dragon Fruit planted from seed was moving along very slowly prompted me to risk a few dollars and buy a pink Dragon Fruit cutting on ebay.
Wish me luck.

8)

you really need to  make a trip to Fall brook 40 minutes up the road and see Matt and his !!!75!!!! plus varieties of Dragon Fruit...or just order from him....
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
Wish me luck.

8)

you really need to  make a trip to Fall brook 40 minutes up the road and see Matt and his !!!75!!!! plus varieties of Dragon Fruit...or just order from him....

Just got my pink Dragon Fruit cuttings (they sent me two) in the mail and was pleased to see that  they marked both with arrows to show which end to plant.  I'll see how everything grows and then pick a spot in the yard for more.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 01:42:25 AM »
By the way, is there a good source for DF cuttings in Los Angeles?

MattsLandscape.com is Epicacti Nursery.

http://www.epicacti.com/

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
By the way, is there a good source for DF cuttings in Los Angeles?

MattsLandscape.com is Epicacti Nursery.

http://www.epicacti.com/

Sorry guys...i was giving directions for Matts Landscape which shows up out of state on the GPS...it is Epi Cacti nursery in Fallbrook if your looking for gps directions..right off of the I-15 Rainbow exit before you hit Temecula.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ricshaw

• View Profile

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the confusion over where the nursery was located and what name it uses.
Looks like it's well worth the drive.  The only problem is the overwhelming variety - I've only got so much room in the yard.
 :)

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
JeffDM
Mat the owner of MattsLandscape have 15 gallons RIXFORD variety dragon fruit in fruiting stage if you what it, but you have to bring you truck to load it up.
 8) 

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
JeffDM

Mat the owner of MattsLandscape have 15 gallons RIXFORD variety dragon fruit in fruiting stage if you want it, but you have to bring you truck to load it up.

8)

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
So, I'm busy re-reading the comments on this thread this morning when it finally dawns on me that I planted my new Dragon Fruit cuttings upside down.  Both had roots on both ends, but somehow I thought the arrows drawn on them meant stick ↓ this end in the dirt instead of ↑ this end up.  :-[ 

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
So, I'm busy re-reading the comments on this thread this morning when it finally dawns on me that I planted my new Dragon Fruit cuttings upside down.  Both had roots on both ends, but somehow I thought the arrows drawn on them meant stick ↓ this end in the dirt instead of ↑ this end up.  :-[

Gave me a good laugh!  I always put "top" above the arrow to get the point across accurately
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
 ;D

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

I thought the same thing when I started with grafting. It was not intuitive to me that the pointy end was supposed to point away from the graft. But it's what people are doing so I got used to it. Usually I can tell by the way the leaf scars are oriented  anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk