Author Topic: Avocado seedlings waiting to be discovered in people's yards  (Read 12565 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado seedlings waiting to be discovered in people's yards
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
John probably you do well there growing Monroe it is a late season fruit of good quality. Also I'm experimenting with a new variety I got from Fairchild called Utuado also late. Do you sell your fruit commercially?

Thanks for the Monroe recommendation.  The next time I am in Australia I plan to seek out some good varieties.

I've only had my farm for a little over a year now.  All my trees are young, except for a few dooryard trees here before me and the fast growing ones such as papaya and banana.  I'm growing mostly citrus, mango and hopefully avocado, but also a little of a wide variety.  It's just a hobby farm.  15 acres.

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Hi Carlos

BTW, I love your webpage it is very informative. As nullzero commented, we have hundreds of seedlings growing around Socal. If you are ever in the area let me know an I'll get you in contact with Julie Frink, curator of the avocado collection in UC Irvine south coast research where she oversees hundred of varieties and she is also a life long member of the Orange County CRFG.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
JF Thanks, I started the web page to keep my own research and then got bigger. The main reason I went on the web was I found some varieties like Florida Hass with very little accurate verifiable information. One nursery repeats what they copy from a web page and so on.  In the web I have connected with people growing the trees in different parts and they contribute facts not fiction to the variety.   I would love to go to So. Ca. The last time i was there was in the L.A. earthquake. If I get back there I sure will love to meet Julie.

I think that backyards are holding a lot of good varieties of many fruits. We need to be more aware and keep and eye on them and share with others.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
Just finish having dinner with the new seedling "El Pipe". Clearly the offspring of a Russell, see the seed, texture and flavor are about the same. A bit more creamier. Peeled without difficulty

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »
Carlos, that is great news for the "El Pipe" avocado.  It peels easily is a big plus.  :)  How do you like it flavorwise compared to for example a Russell, a Donnie or a Hall?
Adiel

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
Adiel good question. Better than Donnie (anything is) About the same, actually very similar to Russell. El Pipe was a bit creamer. I have not tasted a Hall recently. I would rate a good Monroe better. I hope this gives you an idea.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:13:57 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ksloss

• USA, Hawaii, Hilo, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »

Aloha from Hawaii Island
I was searching the forum for previous posts on avocado varieties and this seemed like an appropriate post to revive as I am inquiring about a backyard avocado seedling. This was most likely placed in the backyard 2008-2009. I had a habit of taking the most delicious avocados i would find at the farmers market and place them along the back property line. From what I have researched it seems to match characteristics most closely to that of the Hulumanu but I can not be certain as I am not even sure I have actually eaten this fruit. It definitely seems to be predominantly West Indian, very thin green skin, fairly smooth, almost paper thin and not gritty at all. It is the creamiest avocado I can recall eating.  The skin from the seed often detaches and sticks to the fruit. In previous years I have seen the seed actually sprouting inside the fruit, which I have never seen before in an avocado. Occasionally the seed can be rattled while still in the fruit. Harvest season seems to be Aug-Nov, although I did wait until beginning of December to harvest previously.
The first season this seedling fruited about 2 years ago I had approximately 200 fruit and could not keep up. I was throwing what I thought were surely over rancid fruit in the compost until one day I decided to try. To my surprise not only was the fruit not rancid, but flavor and texture seemed to improve. When 1-2 days over-ripened the fruit is so soft and creamy it spreads similar to room temperature butter.

I realize this is a seedling and likely may not match up exactly to an existing variety. So if there are no suggestions as to what this could be, I would like to ask the question "Which is the creamiest avocado?" Thanks!

Karl

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 07:54:51 AM »
Having experimented with 100 's of varieties I find that the "creamiest" avocado in an area is not the best in another location. Each area has its own characteristic that make a fruit better. In addition flavor dependents on many thing not only oil content. All of this gets combined with individual taste and preference, plus the tree owner will infuse his or her own particular flavor due to culture. Finally mother nature will put its stamp in the process, every  year is not the same, fruit is not the same.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk