Author Topic: Germinating seeds in a Ziplock bag  (Read 12295 times)

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating seeds in a Ziplock bag
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »
 This has been the method I employ to germinate seeds and have had great success, Limits the work of planting a bunch of seeds in soil.. until you know which ones are viable.. I use a paper towel myself. I don't have problems with mold when I soak the seeds in a water and bleach mixture. which kills anything on the seed coat.  It's has worked lots of times for me!  ;D Much easier to keep up with  on seeds that take a long time to germinate.. I get tired of watering little pots  with soil... but keeping them in a ziplock keeps them most until they germinate,, then BAM action is on, pop em' in some soil and they take off  ;D

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
Hello  :)
I would like to hear your opinion about the durian seeds.  Is that the/a suggested method?
Is a pretreatment neccessery? They tend to attract mold very easy!
Mike

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:22 PM »
FGM, when do you usually remove the sprouted seeds and plant them in a pot, when they are completely out of the shell, when they have just started to push the tap root, etc.?

I plant them in pots as soon as I start seeing the root pushing out. You don't want the roots to get real big in the bag because they will start to get deformed.   
FloridaGreenMan

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
I plant them in pots as soon as I start seeing the root pushing out. You don't want the roots to get real big in the bag because they will start to get deformed.

Thank you, Noel. I got that root deformation with my Chewy sugar apple seeds. Instead of going straight, the tap roots started to spiral and branching out even though they're not out of the shell yet.

Also, my Eugenia Candolleana seeds took only 10 days to push out roots with this ziploc method. Amazing!
Thank you, Noel.

Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 02:59:07 AM »
Hello  :)
I would like to hear your opinion about the durian seeds.  Is that the/a suggested method?
Is a pretreatment neccessery? They tend to attract mold very easy!

The reason durian seeds attract mold easily is because pulp sticks stubbornly to seed. It is quite difficult to remove 100% of the pulp off and any remaining pulp is what gets moldy. If you clean the seed very well you won't have this problem. Also cover seed with very small amount of potting soil, 1/4-1/2 inch of soil. I noticed in Thai experiment station that the seeds were not covered at all but sprouted right on soil surface of soil:
This would work only in places with high humidity. Their starting trays had 100% germination.
Oscar