Author Topic: Inca Peanut (Plukenetia volubilis) High in protein and Omega fatty acids  (Read 11958 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Inca Peanut, of the family Euphorbiaceae, distant relative of acerola, and Dicella nucifera.

Has anyone successfully grown and fruited this one in USA?

I'm taking care of a few plants for a friend, and I want to learn as much as I can about these, especially from other growers on the forum.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:37:31 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Inca Peanut (Plukenetia volubilis) High in protien and Omega fatty acids
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
I have only one vine, and I am keeping it inside the greenhouse, for now.  I may need another one for cross pollination.  I prefer to grow vines in pairs for cross pollination.  They tend to produce better that way.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:14:41 PM by Berto »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:49 AM »
If i remember correctly, male and females are on separate vines, so you should plant at least 3 plants on an arbor. I had some growing in one gallon pots when i left, didn't get a chance to get them into the ground. Hope they're still alive and kicking.  ???
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
Oscar,

From what I've read, I understand that male and female flowers are on the same inflorescence.

I bet a lone vine can fruit, although I'm sure it's best to have a pair at least.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
Hi Adam,

How are your vines doing?  Have they fruited yet?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Not yet!

hopefully later this year!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
Plukenetia is in the Euphorbiaceae...but Dicella and acerola (Malpighia) are in the Malpighiaceae.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Plukenetia is in the Euphorbiaceae...but Dicella and acerola (Malpighia) are in the Malpighiaceae.

but they're all members of the order, malpighiales...and as I stated initially, inca peanut is distantly related to the family maplighiaceae.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
I have been growing plukentia for years.  I introduced it into Costa Rica and, as I understand it, from here it was taken by Doug Bullock to Maui for the Hawaii intro.  The material came from Jim West.
A single plant will produce, usually within about 8 months from planting out.  The fruits don't fall on their own like passiflora so don't let them go up a tall tree.  When they turn black they are picked and left to dry out a bit.
We and others sell these nuts at our farmers' market.  They are very nutritious and tasty when cooked.  I don't think you can eat them raw.
The problem is the processing.  Husking is very tedious and we are "pendiente" (waiting) anxiously for someone to come up with a mechanized solution.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
My vine is flowering and I noticed male and female flowers!  The vine is growing quite well here in Fort Myers.  I am looking forward to tasting the nut.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I have been growing plukentia for years.  I introduced it into Costa Rica and, as I understand it, from here it was taken by Doug Bullock to Maui for the Hawaii intro.  The material came from Jim West.
A single plant will produce, usually within about 8 months from planting out.  The fruits don't fall on their own like passiflora so don't let them go up a tall tree.  When they turn black they are picked and left to dry out a bit.
We and others sell these nuts at our farmers' market.  They are very nutritious and tasty when cooked.  I don't think you can eat them raw.
The problem is the processing.  Husking is very tedious and we are "pendiente" (waiting) anxiously for someone to come up with a mechanized solution.

Finca La Isla, this is amazing that you're growing nuts in tropical Costa Rica (and Hawaii). I did not know that this was possible in a tropical location. This nut is definitely worth looking into.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
don't forget about brazil nuts, and pili nuts...and the plethora of other nuts that can be grown in tropical locations.

Finca La Isla, this is amazing that you're growing nuts in tropical Costa Rica (and Hawaii). I did not know that this was possible in a tropical location. This nut is definitely worth looking into.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile

Peter .looking at videos on youtube ( from Colombia ) it seems they have a system to husk them .

Do you also extract the oil ?

Looks like I would like to try growing these .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

Not really a nut in classical sense of nut, as Inca nut grows on a vine, not a tree. Just like peanut is not really a nut in usual sense of the word.
But there are tree nuts that grow in the tropics: Macadamia, pili nut, tropical almond, tropical walnut, malabar chestnut, java almond, to name a few.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
Yes, Plukentia is very easy to grow and quick to produce.
I have seen reference to mechanized husking but nothing has appeared here.  I share this nut around and it is popular and everyone says they are going to make the husking work.  But.... we are waiting, I am a grower, not a mechanical engineer.  Some have volunteers husk these nuts, I pay a worker $2 an hour, which is the local wage, to husk them.  Easy to sell and easier to eat.
Peter

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Peter,

here is a link with some info about how they process Inca P-nut...I believe the oil is rendered from the fruits for maximum profits.

http://www.akimoo.com/2013/oil-production-and-demand-inchi-sacha-plant/
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
Hi
Thanks for the link.  Yes, ambitious big business is stepping in as with noni and mangosteen husks.  We're on the sidelines, making much more modest claims for the very appetizing nuts themselves. 
Along time ago I planted caryodendron orinociense.  We called it inchi nut.  A few years ago I did a search of "inchi" to see if anything would come up about the caryodendron.  There is so much about sacha inchi that I don't think anyone uses the name or any longer associates "inchi" with the caryodendron.
Peter

dreamfrutas

• Letīs Trade!
    • View Profile
I gave seeds of Inca Peanut to Bill Williams, an this was the last plant he sowed and got fruiting. I remeber his happy face showing me the vines with fruits!!

I grow it here in Rio, and I love the plant!!

Carlos

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Inca Peanut (Plukenetia volubilis) High in protein and Omega fatty acids
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »
I just harvested my first pod of inca peanut.  I have only one vine and it produces male and female flowers.  Therefore you need only one vine to produce pods, as written before.
I ate one raw nut and it tasted bitter and astringent.  I am going to pan roast the leftover four nuts tomorrow.  One pod produced five little nuts.
One vine of Pluketia Volublis fruited in Fort Myers, Florida.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
Inca peanuts roasted is absolutely delicious!
It tastes like a mixture of roasted peanuts and roasted cashews!  I really loved it!

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:33 PM »
I just harvested my first pod of inca peanut.  I have only one vine and it produces male and female flowers.  Therefore you need only one vine to produce pods, as written before.
I ate one raw nut and it tasted bitter and astringent.  I am going to pan roast the leftover four nuts tomorrow.  One pod produced five little nuts.
One vine of Pluketia Volublis fruited in Fort Myers, Florida.

I read that these are inedible raw.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 10:29:16 PM »
Inca peanuts roasted is absolutely delicious!
It tastes like a mixture of roasted peanuts and roasted cashews!  I really loved it!

thanks for the report Berto!

I tried them raw and it was super astringent...I gotta try them roasted!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile