Author Topic: Inca Peanut (Plukenetia volubilis) High in protein and Omega fatty acids  (Read 11935 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Inca Peanut (Plukenetia volubilis) High in protein and Omega fatty acids
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
Luis, thanks for posting. The second video you posted is quite informative. It is in spanish for those of you that can understand it. Peter, they show machinery for extraction as well as pressing for oil. Seems like this is obviously an up and coming promising crop.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 06:18:49 AM »
Luis, thanks for posting. The second video you posted is quite informative. It is in spanish for those of you that can understand it. Peter, they show machinery for extraction as well as pressing for oil. Seems like this is obviously an up and coming promising crop.
Hi Oscar, yes this is very interesting, a real superfood! This nut can substitute fish to populations that can't have it due it's huge concentration on omega 3, 6 and 9 faty acids. It was considered the best oil in Paris competition and it's great to skin, hair and to take as suplementation. Here is another great link: http://www.macapunch.com/ingles/sachainchi.html

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »
I forgot to say that it's possible to eat the leaves by cooking them.  ;)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »
Very interesting.  I was motivated to look at quite a few videos having to do with sacha inchi and it is quite informative.  Probably, the Spanish is hard to follow for many but I like the Colombian Spanish.  The few times that I briefly saw mechanized peeling of the skin directly surrounding the seed were brief and the machines looked big, expensive, and intimidating.  You could see that the seeds still needed to be further picked over by workers.
Nothing was said about simply eating the seeds and the necessity to cook them.  It is all about the business of making oil and exporting it.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 04:05:18 AM »
Very interesting.  I was motivated to look at quite a few videos having to do with sacha inchi and it is quite informative.  Probably, the Spanish is hard to follow for many but I like the Colombian Spanish.  The few times that I briefly saw mechanized peeling of the skin directly surrounding the seed were brief and the machines looked big, expensive, and intimidating.  You could see that the seeds still needed to be further picked over by workers.
Nothing was said about simply eating the seeds and the necessity to cook them.  It is all about the business of making oil and exporting it.
Peter
yes that video is about global sales si emphasizes production of oil.But i bet seeds also eaten locally.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
Peter
yes that video is about global sales si emphasizes production of oil.But i bet seeds also eaten locally.
I read somewere that we can eat seeds and leaves.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
Yeah, I would be pretty sure the seeds are eaten locally.  Funny though that the videos only talk about how much income the people are going to get and about all the wonderful health benefits of the oil without mentioning that the campesinos can easily improve the quality of their diets by consuming some of the production in the form of roasted seeds.
Peter

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 10:12:27 AM »
Yeah, I would be pretty sure the seeds are eaten locally.  Funny though that the videos only talk about how much income the people are going to get and about all the wonderful health benefits of the oil without mentioning that the campesinos can easily improve the quality of their diets by consuming some of the production in the form of roasted seeds.
Peter
Money always Money!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
Hi,

If anyone could find information about how to properly prepare the inca nuts - that would be great. I heard that they taste best if you roast them, but for how long and at what temperature? I cannot find any specific information about this.

Tomas

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
Hi,

If anyone could find information about how to properly prepare the inca nuts - that would be great. I heard that they taste best if you roast them, but for how long and at what temperature? I cannot find any specific information about this.

Tomas
And by the way, full sun or patial shade? Thank's!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Hi,

Tomas

You could see in videos you posted that they were out in open (full sun). I have mine also planted in full sun. And some in partial shade. Both are doing well.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
Hi,

Tomas
ok, it's good to know...

You could see in videos you posted that they were out in open (full sun). I have mine also planted in full sun. And some in partial shade. Both are doing well.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »
Hi Tomas
The easiest, and probably the best, is to roast in the frying pan with a little oil slowly, not too hot.  The nuts will brown and need to be cooked right through.  We add a bit of salt and sometimes some chiles, garlic, kiffer lime, etc.
Peter