Author Topic: possible new order for yumberries and other exotics from chinese nursery  (Read 11849 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
so now that the Californian order from the Chinese nursery (http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/) arrived with about half the trees in good shape, i would like to try and put together a new order from them for delivery to Harry's place in Florida. Each individual  buyer would be responsible for picking up their trees from Harry's place  and Harry would not be able to provide any care and attention to the trees beyond allowing a place for them to be parked in his yard.

The nursery sells several varieties of yumberry, lychee (including a supposedly seedless lychee), jackfruit, longan, dragon fruit etc. I am not sure what his minimum order is or what is price per tree- that I imagine will depend on how many trees we order. I believe on the last order for Yumberries, they paid under $20 a tree. When I tentativly reached out to him, he had mentioned that we may have to stick to two varieties of tree, so I suggest you start with yumberry and lychees and then add any other trees you want with the understanding that if there is not a large enough request for those trees, we may be limited to lychee and yumberry.

I am willing to put the order together. Please post here what trees you would like and what quanity, if you would like to be part of the order. I suggest that you order two of any tree so that if one tree arrives in bad condition, you have a back up.
I will be ordering yumberries and his seedless lycee.

I will give everyone a week (to till next Friday, March 9th) to place their tentative order, at which time I will contact the nursery and ask him if he can fulfill our order and what the cost per tree is.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
What importation permits are required to you to import these trees?

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
no idea- if we get a reasonable order together, i will make inquiries

gabodymod

• Zone 10 FL
    • View Profile
I have not imported lychee and yumberry but I have done so for mango from Thailand. The process is extremely tedious. In a nutshell , the permit took 5 to 6 months and they had to be quarantine for two years. ( I remember the many phone calls to diff gov, dept. and the unannounced tree inspections from them.)
After having said that. I would be interested in buying some mango trees.

Guillermo.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
no idea- if we get a reasonable order together, i will make inquiries

I think you should probably find that out before. I know for fact a few of the things you mentioned need a two year quarantine and would be impractical to order in a group order. Check the post entry quarantine PDF and you'll know what you need to do. I assume the yumberry does not need peq but I am not home so I cannot verify.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
sheehan- would the import requirements be specific to FL and different than the import requirements to CA?
I was assuming that importing to florida would be the same or less stringent, as importing to CA, and so was planning on finding out what the CA group did and then doing the same.
as i am making abundantly clear, this is my first foray into importing!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I would think it would be harder to get them into Cal than FL.  Sometimes things get "overlooked" and other times they don't.. In the end a gamble could result in the incineration of the trees by customs and a total loss! (not to mention the legal issues!)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
There was a customs delay, they held up the plants additional days :(. Thankfully it was cool 60s during the day, otherwise I think we would of had a lot more declining/dead plants. Shipping to China to FL, would take additional days (considering the long wait time and hotter temps, without water most would perish). For Myrica rubra, it may be easier to get scion wood from the CA group. Start up some seedlings now, and graft in a year.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:20:32 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Now that I think of it, shipping to me may not be the best idea on several of the grounds stated previously. Of immediate and significant concern is Florida's quarantine requirements.  This could create a legal issue for me. Assuming the quatrantine was imposed I would either have to baby sit all these plants for two years or ignore the law, which as  a lawyer,  may lead to some not so career furthering consequences.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
Allrighty then- consider the idea scrapped!

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
I'm heading up to Philadelphia next week and usually find the strangest things at this one shop run by a couple from Thailand. If they don't have it this year they'll have it next year after I nag and beg them.

Hopefully the folks in CA will have better luck than I am having in NC with Myrica rubra. It could be that my larger tree is from Taiwan and just isn't as cold hardy as other versions of this plant.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I'd really love to get that seedless lychee and i think so would Dr. Zee, at our experimental station. Let me see if my post entry permit is still in order and will get back to you all on this possibility. How are the lychees shipped? Are they air layers?
Not sure if Myrica rubra will fruit here? Don't they need some chill hours?
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I would be curious of the available jakfruit.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I'd love two of those seedless Lychees myself. Please keep us updated.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
A new order should be happening soon. Seems like there's more interest in it after the recent mention in the CRFG Fruit Gardener magazine.

I helped with communications with the Chinese seller last time. He's not a grower and didn't understand that dioecious trees need a male tree for pollen. He also found somewhere a tree that produces baby-shaped fruits that to me were obviously pears grown in molds. I compared some online prices and figured he's making good profit from the deal so there's not much reason to cheat us, especially knowing that we plan to do a second order if the first one was successful.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
I understand that this latest shipment went a little better...minus the USDA/Customs holding the plants again.  Maybe someone could talk to them ahead of time, giving them a heads-up on the shipment or discussing with the powers-that-be why the plants were held both times?

Anyway...do you know if any of the plants from the last shipments survived and growing well?

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
fyliu- please include me in the next order. I want to order a couple of yumberries trees.
what do you mean the seller is not a grower.
i thought the seller is a giant nursery in china who grow thousands of trees

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I would take two seedless lychees and two No Mai Tsze if the order goes thru!
Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
According to the inspectors the holdup was between the airport and the inspection station just outside the airport. Some special person needs to perform that part of the delivery. The inspector did know to look for the package from our calling in every day after the tracking showed it's in the U.S.

I heard some people who didn't know to do the humidity tenting lost their plants. I checked there's no roots on some of mine so all of them are still in plastic bags. The Dongkui plants did grow roots and one rooted above the graft. This is one variety that online sources recommend burying deep.

Yes the seller does go to a large nursery 200 miles away to get trees and package them. His business office is in the city. He said it's better for shipping. I get the feeling there are growers in the operation but his role is just to sell. The photos of his packaging and shipment to a buyer in Japan was encouraging and there's actual variety names and not just red, purple, black, pink.

Too bad lychee has the 2 year postentry quarantine requirement. One friend in San Diego still wants to get some in a separate order. For yumberry orders email Tynan Wyatt(tynanwyatt@aol.com) or myself(fangyiliu@hotmail.com). Tynan got the permit for Myrica rubra only so we can't import anything else with it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:55:49 PM by fyliu »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Zands,

You probably want these grafted trees, seedlings from what I told is like playing craps on what you are going to get.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Zands,

You probably want these grafted trees, seedlings from what I told is like playing craps on what you are going to get.

tanks mucho on that! Not much on yumberries on the internet but I like what I see. Have you eaten one or anyone else eaten one? Can you perhaps find in an Asian supermarket?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Zands,

tanks mucho on that! Not much on yumberries on the internet but I like what I see. Have you eaten one or anyone else eaten one? Can you perhaps find in an Asian supermarket?

Myrica rubra is very popular in China, where its called “yangmei”. It ranks up there with Lychee in unique flavor and taste from what I hear. Guess thats why its called yumberry, a berry like tasty flavor?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:58:21 PM by nullzero »

JujubeTexas

• View Profile
Has anyone tried grafting on a Southern Wax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera)?
If they took, that would resolve quite a few problems. They plant those suckers at every gas station in Central Texas.

lee

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
I'm still trying to get mine from March stabilized. I've been looking at getting other possible rootstocks. The seed place I found is out of stock on it for now.