Author Topic: FGM: Happy Holidays to the Forum members  (Read 15051 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: FGM: Happy Holidays to the Forum members
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
Merry, merry, happy and healthy to all.  Actually, it is perfectly legal to drink and drive in all states.  Just don't drive while intoxicated. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
Harry, thanks for that clarification! (:>) Have a happy one!
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »
Merry, merry, happy and healthy to all.  Actually, it is perfectly legal to drink and drive in all states.  Just don't drive while intoxicated.

Surprised you say that being a lawyer. :o If you drink and drive at the same time you will have an open bottle. You will get arrested here for open alcohol bottle, even if you don't have over the legal limit in your blood, i think now it's .085.
Maybe you meant drink and then drive afterwards?? I also wouldn't do that because you will have alcohol on your breath. Here there are road checks during holidays. Who wants to have that hassle of breath, blood test, and lecture from a cop?
Or maybe you meant drink a Shirley Temple, or non alcoholic beer, and then drive?
Oscar

jabotica

• U.S.A.-N.of Okeechobee,Florida-zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »
As I was getting ready for a long winters nap ,I got good vibes from Loisport,s vidio
I will have vissions of sugar plums in my dreams along with the good sounds of
flaminco. May we all have a warm winter and happy holidays

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 08:19:19 AM »

Surprised you say that being a lawyer. :o If you drink and drive at the same time you will have an open bottle. You will get arrested here for open alcohol bottle, even if you don't have over the legal limit in your blood, i think now it's .085.
Maybe you meant drink and then drive afterwards?? I also wouldn't do that because you will have alcohol on your breath. Here there are road checks during holidays. Who wants to have that hassle of breath, blood test, and lecture from a cop?
Or maybe you meant drink a Shirley Temple, or non alcoholic beer, and then drive?

I think that post was made in jest.  I found it amusing.

He does have a valid point. It's legal to have a few and then drive, just don't drive if you're intoxicated.  Too many drunks getting away with road murder.  And what's ironical is these scumbags are usually not injured or killed....it's always the innocent other guy.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »
No you cannot have a few and drive. Unless by a few you mean one beer? A couple of any hard liquor and i believe your blood level will land you in the slammer. Anyway, even if you don't land in jail, your reaction time will definitely be slowed down with any alcohol at all. Why not drive first and then you can do all the drinking you want. Pickle your brain if you so choose, without endangering anyone except yourself.
Oscar

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
Our school just spent months on an anti drinking and driving campaign. Just saying, just cause your not over doesn't mean that you won't kill someone, even one little drink is enough to destroy you and someone else utterly. It's plain stupid.

Enjoy these videos:

http://youtu.be/r5hxzdwQ7HA

http://youtu.be/Z2mf8DtWWd8

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
After you have "a few" you're not a very good judge of whether you are intoxicated or not. That is the very big problem! All drunks think they are just fine driving,and that's why they do it. Too many roadside gravesites here, and almost all of them caused by people that only had "a few".  :( :( :( :'(
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
Folks, we've taken this way too far....If I want to see drunk driver videos, I will go to the AA drinkers forum. Let's enjoy the Holidays in the safest manner possible and get a designated driver if you need one. Now let's get back to the FRUIT Forum. Thanks!
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »
2 servings of alcohol gets a 200 pound man over the legal limit and subject to arrest (if not fatal accident). So much for having a few legally before driving!
Enjoy the holidays safelly.

How Many Drinks Does it Usually Take to Reach the Legal Limit of the Blood Alcohol Percentage for Driving?
There is no exact answer to determine how much you have to drink to reach the legal limit for driving. However, there is a way to approximate whether you are approaching the legal limit in your state (usually 0.08 blood alcohol level) based on your weight, how much you have had to drink, and how long you have been drinking.  For example:

If you are around 100 lbs., you can generally only have about one serving of alcohol before being over 0.08, and only two servings before being above 0.1 (for those states where the legal limit 0.1)
However, a person is closer to 160 lbs. can have about 3 servings of alcohol and still be below the legal limit for driving
A good rule of thumb to use is that no matter what your weight is, if you have had three servings of alcohol in rapid succession you are most likely over the legal limit for blood alcohol level when driving.

Your blood alcohol level will also depend on how much time you have spent drinking. If you have a spaced your drinks out over a lengthy period of time, such as the span of a few hours, your blood alcohol level is going to be significantly lower than if you had the same amount of drinks in the span of one hour. Generally, you can subtract 0.01% from your estimated blood alcohol level for each 40 minutes that go by while drinking.

What Is 1 Serving of Alcohol?
Keep in mind the amount of alcohol that constitutes 1 serving differs depending on the type of drink.  For example, 12 oz. of hard liquor is a far greater amount of alcohol than 12 oz. of beer, and as a result will have a much greater impact on your blood alcohol level. Generally, the rule is 1 serving of alcohol is equal to 1 oz. of 100 proof liquor, a 12 oz. beer, or 4 oz. of table wine.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/amount-of-drinks-it-takes-to-get-over-the-legal-limit.html
Oscar

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
Folks, we've taken this way too far....If I want to see drunk driver videos, I will go to the AA drinkers forum. Let's enjoy the Holidays in the safest manner possible and get a designated driver if you need one. Now let's get back to the FRUIT Forum. Thanks!

Too much stupid hijackings here! Where is the Forum God???

------------------------

Hayppy Holidays, Noel!
Thera

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
Happy Holidays to all!  Thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement. This community is extremely special.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:29 PM »
Happy Holidays and best wishes for a Blessed and wonderful new year to all T.F.Forum Members (and members to be) that are former or current veterans, or military service members/families, thank you for defending our freedoms.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
Happy Holidays Everyone!!...:)

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
Merry Christmas to all...  And to all a good night:)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
WOW, beautiful fruit, nice job.  Send us some of that tropical fruit, we're freezing here!

Merry Christmas from St. Nick's Christmas Tree farm, and a little 'taste' of Texas back atcha !!!

(If you want a good laugh, please click on the first photo.)  ;D

The last photo is incredibly beautiful!
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
Merry Christmas forum chums. It is 8.45am on Christmas morning and Santa has already been and is heading for many of you now. I realise many of you are living in the past.

I am baking coral trout, pumpkin, potatoes and sweet potatoes for Xmas lunch at my brother's place.

It was about 27c celcius when Santa came last night so he would have been working up a sweat in his thick outfit. It is a mild rainy 30c now so is much cooler and more pleasant than is usual for Xmas. I will be getting back to the original meaning of Christmas this year and have already begun drinking.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
Happy Christmas folks. We'll be crowing down on turkey and mango, and tonnes of fruit with achachairu, mango, waiana grapes, massive Fei zee Sui lychees to start and boiled prawns and peanuts then trifle to finish it all off. My stomach hurts already!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »
I'm all with FruitLovers. Don't do it. Any amount of alcohol impairs your driving. Don't make someone lose a loved one on Christmas. It should be also noted that this is an international forum and not all jurisdictions are the same. Iceland for example has a zero-tolerance alcohol policy. If they measure any alcohol at all on your breath, you're going to jail.

Christmas is now over here - well, at least the big day (the 24th). The kids had a great bit of time and hardly noticed the damage when a 10-meter strip of roof peeled off the front of our place and banged repeatedly in the wind in a nearby semi. Glad my car wasn't parked where it usually is, a 3-meter long 2x4 would have landed on the windshield. Did I mention that we get lots of wind up here?  ;)

Now looking forward to New Years., where an average of 2 kilograms of fireworks for every man, woman and child will be set off. Twice as much as NYC's 4th of July celebration. It looks like a war zone for hours, it's awesome.  :)  We don't have a military, we have to blow something up!

What from the tropics was on all your tables? I didn't have anything too exotic in the food, but for decoration I had a fruit basket containing banana, mandarin, purple and yellow passionfruit, mango, kiwano, and tamarillo. I really wanted some langsat and mangosteen with dessert but the store I buy them from didn't get their shipment this week (second time in a row  :Þ).
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
BMc now that is a coincidence because I will be having prawns, turkey, mango, lychees and trifle/xmas cake as well. You can't get much more Australian traditional than that. Each adult brings particular dishes and lunch starts early.

Unlike Iceland there is no wind here and the air is heavy and humid but still milder than usual.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
82F 28 Celsius yesterday and today and for rest of the week for the costal valleys of Orange County if that's not your kick some of the best winter surfing in the world and if you like the fluffy stuff great skiing in the high mountain just a typical Christmas in SoCal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:25:16 PM by JF »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »
I'm all with FruitLovers. Don't do it. Any amount of alcohol impairs your driving. Don't make someone lose a loved one on Christmas. It should be also noted that this is an international forum and not all jurisdictions are the same. Iceland for example has a zero-tolerance alcohol policy. If they measure any alcohol at all on your breath, you're going to jail.

Are you saying that going out to a restaurant or friend's and having a glass of wine renders one an illegal driver in Iceland?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »
Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »

Are you saying that going out to a restaurant or friend's and having a glass of wine renders one an illegal driver in Iceland?

Yes. It's zero tolerance - anything you drink must be completely out of your system before you take the wheel. And the police are active enforcers.

And I'm quite supportive of both of those facts. Any level of alcohol impairs driving, and car accidents are already the number one killer of adults to begin with. 0,07 (3 drinks for your average man, 2 for your average woman - legal in the US) is a 2,09 times greater risk. I personally do *not* want people with double the risk of killing me driving around on icy roads during the holidays. I don't want people even 10% more likely to kill me. Having no acceptable BAC also draws a much clearer line as to what's acceptable. If you want to drink, get someone to drive you home. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:21:16 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
Merry christmas everybody!  :)