Author Topic: Jakfruit cultivars in Florida  (Read 12031 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Jakfruit cultivars in Florida
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Here's a list I put together of Jakfruit cultivars that I have seen or heard of in Florida. Which ones have I missed and where is their place of origin? 

Bali Beauty (Indonesia)
Black Gold  (Austr)
Borneo Red (Borneo)
Cheena  (Malaysia)
Cochin (Austr)
Dang Suria (Thai?)
Dang Rasimi (Thai)
Excaliber Red
Fairchild (FL)
Golden Nugget (Aust)
Golden Pillow (Thai)
Honey Gold (Aust)
J-30  (Malaysia)
J-31 (Malaysia)
Lemon Crunch
Lemon Gold (Austr)
Mai-1, 2 & 3
NS-1  (Malaysia)
Tabouey  (Indonesia)
FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit cultivars in Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Bangkok Lemon - Thailand

I've never heard of Bali Beauty. Sounds interesting.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
I also have a grafted tree from Thailand called Rien Bhat. And I think there is one being sold called Zima or Ziman Pink. That's all I can think of as having been seen here in Florida.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »
Harry
Which Jakfruit was this one? By the way, I defrosted some J-31 pulp from last year and it was awesome!

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
Excalibur Gold
Christela Red
Tong Pracert (Thai, I believe)
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
I also saw grafted jackfruit trees at Excalibur named "Martin" and "Malay". Can't ever remember trying them and I don't think they are currently propagated and I think the only trees are in large containers.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:47:48 PM »
How about 'Thai Globe'.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 07:14:36 AM »
I have a grafted Jack I purchased from Lara Farms Nursery.  Julian Lara called it a Lara Farms Jackfruit.  I have not tried it, but he had some really nice things to say about it.  It is a Gold Nugget seedling ...

So far, it has a very slow and compact growth habit compared to my other Jack trees.  The leaves are also smaller, roundish, and very deep green.

I planted it about 1 year ago as a 1 gallon, and it is still pretty small ..

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
I have a grafted Jack I purchased from Lara Farms Nursery.  Julian Lara called it a Lara Farms Jackfruit.  I have not tried it, but he had some really nice things to say about it.  It is a Gold Nugget seedling ...

So far, it has a very slow and compact growth habit compared to my other Jack trees.  The leaves are also smaller, roundish, and very deep green.

I planted it about 1 year ago as a 1 gallon, and it is still pretty small ..
The slow growing/more compact part is odd as seedlings are usually faster growing and more leggy.
- Rob

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
Here's a Vid with Ziman pink Jackfruit from Hawaii! very figorous tree, I may say...
"Raw Food" Episode 40 - Jenna In The Jungle - The Jackfruit (Raw Food)

A website that Felipe provided...Has Grafted Black gold Jacks for sale! I will sure get a tree in the near future!!!

''Black gold'' is also one of the most cold tolerate Jack cultivar out there!!! Which is a plus ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »
The slow growing/more compact part is odd as seedlings are usually faster growing and more leggy.

I think its a grafted variety of a golden nugget seedling. I saw them selling at Lara's when I was there a few weeks ago with Patrick.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »

I think its a grafted variety of a golden nugget seedling. I saw them selling at Lara's when I was there a few weeks ago with Patrick.

Yep.  It's grafted.  I'll take a pic of it when i get a chance and post it here..

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »

Yep.  It's grafted.  I'll take a pic of it when i get a chance and post it here..
Ahhh, gotcha.  Make sense.  My grafted Bangkok Lemon is also slow growing and keeping very compact.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
Harry
Which Jakfruit was this one? By the way, I defrosted some J-31 pulp from last year and it was awesome!

That would be my Dang Rasimi.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
That's one Dang nice Jakfruit tree!
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
I also saw grafted jackfruit trees at Excalibur named "Martin" and "Malay". Can't ever remember trying them and I don't think they are currently propagated and I think the only trees are in large containers.
I just noticed today that they have some recent grafts of Malay.  They also had one named "Excalibur" (which is in addition to Excalibur Red and Excalibur Gold).

...and I picked up my Excalibur Red.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
"Best" Florida Jackfruit
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 11:49:46 PM »
In your opinion, what's the best Jackfruit that grows in Florida?  Why do you like that particular variety. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Re: "Best" Florida Jackfruit
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
This has been discussed in many threads on this site...did you try the search feature ?

Mods - IF you feel the need, might want to make a poll out of this question.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
I was gonna merge this post with Noel's thread on FL jackfruit once I had some time.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
This has been discussed in many threads on this site...did you try the search feature ?

I used the search feature and found a nice thread on Jackfruits in the Pacific, which was helpful.  I also read the Jackfruit section of  "Florida's Best Fruiting Plants" by Boning.  I am aware that desireable characteristics include:  high recoverable flesh ratio, low seed count, size of fruit, low latex, heavy production, minimal rag and crisp texture.  However, it is difficult to tell which Florida variety is most desirable for a backyard variety.  My inclination is towards a NS1, but I wonder if it is the Hayden of the jackfruits (good in the day, but not the best of what's available).  Do jackfruit trees have thorns?  Which is the lowest latex content with reasonable production?  I've heard of mature trees producing annually 2000 lbs of fruit for a 40' jackfruit tree.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Mr Clean those are good  characters to focus an appraisal on but flavour should get a jersey as well.NS1 is a good standard but does not have the richness or sweetnes of some.200lbs is chicken feed for some trees and would only be 5 fruit.I couldn't guess what a heavy bearing 80 foot trees would produce.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

I used the search feature and found a nice thread on Jackfruits in the Pacific, which was helpful.  I also read the Jackfruit section of  "Florida's Best Fruiting Plants" by Boning.  I am aware that desireable characteristics include:  high recoverable flesh ratio, low seed count, size of fruit, low latex, heavy production, minimal rag and crisp texture.  However, it is difficult to tell which Florida variety is most desirable for a backyard variety.  My inclination is towards a NS1, but I wonder if it is the Hayden of the jackfruits (good in the day, but not the best of what's available).  Do jackfruit trees have thorns?  Which is the lowest latex content with reasonable production?  I've heard of mature trees producing annually 2000 lbs of fruit for a 40' jackfruit tree.
Are you looking to sell it or eat and enjoy it ?  Since you are growing it in the South Florida area, and assume you are growing it for personal consumption, I would go with any of the following:  Mai 1, Mai 2, Mai 3, Dang Suria (Red Morning), Bangkok Lemon, Excalibur Red or Excalibur Gold (if available and withing your size/price range) or J-31/J-30 (I have had only one of the two and do not remember which...Noel/FloridaGreenMan gives the nod to J-31).  These are by far the sweetest, richest and most complex tasting available in the area.  Forget about the latex, seed to flesh ratio (you will get plenty of fruit which to have plenty of flesh from a mature tree), and size of the fruit (again, you will get plenty of flesh from plenty of fruit from a mature tree).  I also would not focus on a 40 foot tree.  Do you want to be harvesting a 20-40+ pound fruit from 30 feet to 40 feet in the air ?  Plant two and keep them at 10-15 feet ala Richard Campbell style and you will be comfortably set with your jackfruit fill from year to year.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:54 AM »

No, jackfruits don't have thorns. But if one hits you on the head during a hurricane you're in big trouble! Seriously though, i think Rob is right, all of them will give you plenty to eat. Problem might be TOO MUCH to eat. Frankies nursery here is pushing the smaller fruits, the solo jacks, could call them ice box jacks. About texture, the crisp vs. soft texture is a personal preference thing. I don't find the soft textured ones to be any problem at all to eat, but some think they are slimy or gooey. Certainly some soft textured ones taste better to me than some crisp textured ones. Also texture can be controlled to a great extent by how ripe you let them get. I would also look to ones that are proven to do well in your area. Getting the latest  won't necessarily be the greatest if it doesn't grow well where you live. So i would emphasie vigour of tree and cold hardiness in positive qualities list.
Oscar

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »
indonesia kalikedung jackfruit

nangkadak var

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:01:38 AM by bocah »

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
Will someone please let me know when Excalibur has fresh jackfruits, so I can try them?
www.FLMangos.com