Author Topic: Garcinia dulcis (mundu)  (Read 13650 times)

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
Garcinia dulcis (mundu)
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:26:43 PM »
I recently ordered some seeds from Oscar and I wanted to know if anyone is currently growing this? Especially if you are successfully growing it In south Florida. If anyone is what general observations have you noticed?
I googled it and found some old threads mentioning it but nothing recently.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia dulcis (mundu)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »
Doing well at my place in Mexico .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
ya i thought this one has moderate cold tolerance, and should grow easily in FL...but I don't remember seeing it at Fruit and Spice...or in any other collection here in FL.

Wondering why this one is obscure in FL?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:42 PM »
I am positive folks from Florida have gotten seeds of this so someone has got to have a decent size tree unless they died? Luc has yours fruited yet and how big would you say it is?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:28:13 AM »
I've sent G. dulcis seeds over the years to lots of folks in FL and CA.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Ken , mine is only a few years old ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply luc.
Well if we don't get much of a response I'll try and grow these once I get the seeds from Oscar and keep the four updated.   
What do you guys think about having a designated garcinia thread like the other fruits have? Since a lot of us are growing garcinias it would be nice to reference and for new folks.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
Patrick (pj1881) has one in the ground that survived this past winter without any cold protection and last year it survived the winter outdoors in a container.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 01:33:02 AM »
wow...pretty impressive to be outside all winter.  how is the fruit, taste-wise?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
Patrick, if you see this thread could you give some info on your tree and a pic of it perhaps? 

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
My "tree" is less than amazing. Its very small, like a foot and a half tall.  It seems to not mind the cooler, low humidity of winter here though.  Its flushed twice..

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Patrick, so it is doing okay and not just barely surviving? How many years have you had it?

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
KG Knight,

I live in Southern California and I have a couple of G. Dulcis plants.  I have had them for a couple of years and haven't had any problems with cold tolerance.  If I can grow them in Southern California, I imagine they would do well in South Florida.  I also know of several people growing them in San Diego as well.

- Jacob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
Patrick, so it is doing okay and not just barely surviving? How many years have you had it?

Its not growing like a lemon drop but its not dying either.  In ground for about a year, on site for about two.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »
Good news, thanks for the replys.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
There are dwarf types that almost scramble but most G.dulcis can be sustantial trees.The fruit vary quite a bit as well in size and sweetness.I imagine there would be a range of cold tolerances between trees considering the apparent genetic diversity.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:43 AM »

Its not growing like a lemon drop but its not dying either.  In ground for about a year, on site for about two.

I am ignorant on this---is lemon drop mangosteen a fast grower or slow?  couldn't tell from the context....maybe just woozy from the dayquil
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »

I am ignorant on this---is lemon drop mangosteen a fast grower or slow?  couldn't tell from the context....maybe just woozy from the dayquil

Out of the few that I have attempted the Lemon Drop seems to be well suited for South Florida, it grows very steadily without slowing.

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
I recently ordered some seeds from Oscar and I wanted to know if anyone is currently growing this? Especially if you are successfully growing it In south Florida. If anyone is what general observations have you noticed?
I googled it and found some old threads mentioning it but nothing recently.

I am growing Garcinia Dulcis in Palm Beach county east of I95. I have had two plants for about one year.  I think they were probably about 3 years old when I got them.  However, they were in a small pot so it's hard to say. They may be older. Initially, I kept one in a container and I put one in the ground after a couple of months.  It appears that the one I put in the ground is doing quite a bit better than the one in the container and started branching out to a beautiful pyramid shape, so I planted the second plant in the ground about a month ago.  I have not let either of these plants dry out at all.  The soil has been constantly wet since I got them and I also water the leaves with an empty gallon water jug. I check on them when I wake up and when I get home from work to make sure that they aren't dry.  I mixed topsoil, compost, and potting soil together and amended the sandy soil that is in my backyard before I planted them. It appears that this is doing very well for them as they are slowly putting out new leaves and branches steadily.  I have some seedling lemon drop mangosteen that are growing at a comparably slow rate.  After about 1.5 years most of my lemon drop seedlings have about ten leaves to give an idea of how slow these garcinia plants grow. It appears exponential however as even though the G. Dulcis are growing slow, they were bigger when I received them and had a few branches.  So now the plants have a bit more branches than they did initially.  It will be nice to see how the lemon drop mangosteen compare to Dulcis in growth speed as they grow older.  One of the Dulcis appears to be more symmetrical than the other.  I have attached pictures of the one that I put in the ground first. I have heard from a very reliable source that they will and do fruit in Palm Beach County. I have also heard that Dulcis is the best Garcinia that is known to fruit in Palm Beach County. Honestly, I have personally seen many people try a garcinia and complain that they are too sour. However, I have never met a garcinia fruit that I didn't love. We all hope for a sweet one, but the sour ones are great too! 

Daniel

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
Daniel,

Thanks for all the info and pics

Your tree looks like the garcinia aristata they have at fruit and spice park

Garcinia dulcis doesn't have spinescent foliage.

The only two species I can think of are aristata and livingstonei...I wonder if they can hybridize??  I see some aristata that look like a mix between both species (as your tree does). Maybe it's just variation within the species?

I have two different varieties of aristata ... One has smaller leaves , with less pronounced venation
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 08:04:32 PM »
Daniel,

The only two species I can think of are aristata and livingstonei...I wonder if they can hybridize??  I see some aristata that look like a mix between both species (as your tree does). Maybe it's just variation within the species?

I have two different varieties of aristata ... One has smaller leaves , with less pronounced venation

To be honest I change my mind about all my Garcinia plants every time that I come on this forum.  I will try to do more research but I think that many of these Garcinia species are compatible for hybridization.  From what I was told the plants I took pictures of were planted from seeds taken from a G. Dulcis tree that is fruiting in South Florida.  The man has also told me that he has seen Garcinia trees produce different fruits on the same tree.  I have also purchased an Imbe plant that has huge leaves unlike the specimens from Fairchild.  So could that plant that I posted pictures of be a cross between Dulcis, Aristata and Imbe.  Absolutely.  I know a man who has two mature trees that he told me were planted from Whitman's Rheedia Sp.  Both trees have different leaf structures.  And both trees make small round fruit that taste very similar to whitman's Rheedia Sp. which I have tasted. The man also told me that he planted 100 seeds from Whitman's Bumpy Lemon Rheedia Sp. two times and they all came out round of varying flavor qualities. That makes me think that the Rheedia Sp. was a hybrid. I do not want to name  names because I know that some private collectors do not appreciate this at all. However, I am very eager to share what I have heard and experienced as convoluted as it may seem.  I would love to post more pictures and information as I get the chance.  I would also like to personally thank you for your seedlings that you sent me.  They are all safe and happy.  Lots of new growth!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »
Doesn't look like G.dulcis to me either and has much in common with imbe but a little different in openness,foliage shape and colour.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
Doesn't look like G.dulcis to me either and has much in common with imbe but a little different in openness,foliage shape and colour.

Spinescent foliage = garcinia aristata

His plant looks exactly like the one at fruit and spice

Imbe has thorns when juvenile, but they do not persist

The chance of a hybrid between dulcis and aristata (or livingstonei) is remote to say the least.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Daniel,

To be honest I change my mind about all my Garcinia plants every time that I come on this forum.  I will try to do more research but I think that many of these Garcinia species are compatible for hybridization.  From what I was told the plants I took pictures of were planted from seeds taken from a G. Dulcis tree that is fruiting in South Florida.  The man has also told me that he has seen Garcinia trees produce different fruits on the same tree.  I have also purchased an Imbe plant that has huge leaves unlike the specimens from Fairchild.  So could that plant that I posted pictures of be a cross between Dulcis, Aristata and Imbe.  Absolutely.  I know a man who has two mature trees that he told me were planted from Whitman's Rheedia Sp.  Both trees have different leaf structures.  And both trees make small round fruit that taste very similar to whitman's Rheedia Sp. which I have tasted. The man also told me that he planted 100 seeds from Whitman's Bumpy Lemon Rheedia Sp. two times and they all came out round of varying flavor qualities. That makes me think that the Rheedia Sp. was a hybrid. I do not want to name  names because I know that some private collectors do not appreciate this at all. However, I am very eager to share what I have heard and experienced as convoluted as it may seem.  I would love to post more pictures and information as I get the chance.  I would also like to personally thank you for your seedlings that you sent me.  They are all safe and happy.  Lots of new growth!

I may have some info on tree ID in the pictures:

I have a couple of those exact trees which I got from Excalibur. At the time I got them from Richard he identified them as GDulcis personally to me; this was clearly a simple confusion on his part because when I went back a couple of months later for another one he clearly said to me that they were without doubt R.Aristata aka Cuban mangosteen and not GDulcis. The identifying characteristic of R.Aristrata is the needle-like pointy leaf. They're supposed to be dioecious. I have a small seedling of GCulcis and it has no pointy leaves. I hope that helps.   
Federico
Homestead, FL

Daniel

• Palm beach county
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:54 PM »
Daniel,

I have a couple of those exact trees which I got from Excalibur. At the time I got them from Richard he identified them as GDulcis personally to me; this was clearly a simple confusion on his part because when I went back a couple of months later for another one he clearly said to me that they were without doubt R.Aristata aka Cuban mangosteen and not GDulcis. The identifying characteristic of R.Aristrata is the needle-like pointy leaf. They're supposed to be dioecious. I have a small seedling of GCulcis and it has no pointy leaves. I hope that helps.

I think that rheedia aristata it is! Maybe I can move this post to the times I got a different tree thread! Anyways how long would you expect this tree needs to fruit? And has your similar tree fruited? Thank you all for your shared thoughts. i really don't mind about the mix up.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »
Rheedia is the antiquated name, it's garcinia now

Btw G aristata is endangered
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
Daniel,

I think that rheedia aristata it is! Maybe I can move this post to the times I got a different tree thread! Anyways how long would you expect this tree needs to fruit? And has your similar tree fruited? Thank you all for your shared thoughts. i really don't mind about the mix up.

My trees have not fruited and I don't know how long it takes to fruit, but I would love to know if someone has any info!
Federico
Homestead, FL

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »
Seems to take years to fruit...maybe 8-10?

The grow very slow
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
time to change this thread's title to Garcinia aristata:  Cuban mangosteen
~Jeff

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:27 PM »
K I've tried to gather from this thread weather G.dulcis.is di or monoecious. any word on this. Also re germination this is my first time germinating and I've read they can take up to 6 months.wow.I also read that soaking them in gibberellin(growth hormone) can speed things up. That's from wiki how. do they like sub surface or surface germination.

Also I'd like to add some observations from the three trees I've come across here in goldcoast australia. one was about 10ft very healthy and fruiting (alighter crop about 60 fruit) in 80% shade and in the hinterland at about 2-300m altitude so can get cold there in the winter and nighr time temps fall. another one was in 50% shade 8ft tall at sea level in very dry conditions. this one had a massive crop on it and is the o in my video. The other one was a 3ft tall in full sunit looked a wee bit yellow like sunburn but still have adozen fruit on it.Ithe was also in dry area. seems to be very versatile and can fruit young.
Watch "garcinia dulcis mandu yellow mangosteen" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/tDu2ZuohAtI

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:04 PM »
K I've tried to gather from this thread weather G.dulcis.is di or monoecious. any word on this. Also re germination this is my first time germinating and I've read they can take up to 6 months.wow.I also read that soaking them in gibberellin(growth hormone) can speed things up. That's from wiki how. do they like sub surface or surface germination.

Also I'd like to add some observations from the three trees I've come across here in goldcoast australia. one was about 10ft very healthy and fruiting (alighter crop about 60 fruit) in 80% shade and in the hinterland at about 2-300m altitude so can get cold there in the winter and nighr time temps fall. another one was in 50% shade 8ft tall at sea level in very dry conditions. this one had a massive crop on it and is the o in my video. The other one was a 3ft tall in full sunit looked a wee bit yellow like sunburn but still have adozen fruit on it.Ithe was also in dry area. seems to be very versatile and can fruit young.
Watch "garcinia dulcis mandu yellow mangosteen" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/tDu2ZuohAtI
Hi Josh,  I was in the idea that G Dulcis is Dio.  The trees that you mention in those 3dif locations was in any of those locations a single isolated tree or in the 3places were group of trees?
El verde es vida!

Joshua

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »
No different locations..isolated trees

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »
No different locations..isolated trees
Interesting,  if I understand right this 3 trees you're talking were in diferent. Places and all were single trees with fruit? If this is the case maybe they are not Dioecious or at least not all of them, did you try the fruit of the other trees? If so was as good  with the video fruit or different?  Thanks
El verde es vida!

Joshua

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »
Yes tried the fruit from all tree. All similar fruit

Joshua

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 06:23:48 AM »
has anyone else got some germination happening. These were surface germination but subsurface also sprouting so no difference

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
Nothing yet, hoping i see some progress soon.
I assume when the weather over here warms up a bit they'll start sprouting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk