Author Topic: Topworking vs. single graft on rootstock?  (Read 1702 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Topworking vs. single graft on rootstock?
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
I was curious what the pros and cons of these two methods are. Is there any reason to topwork besides wanting multiple varieties of fruit on the same plant? Is it harder to graft higher on the plant?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Topworking vs. single graft on rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Less grafts is less work.  You can always graft onto another graft.  Or let the rootstock branch and do several at once.  If you let it get too large and have to do 20 grafts its going to be a pain. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »
Brad and I have been doing lots of top working larger trees and single, double or multigrafting smaller younger trees. Single or double grafting smaller seedlings is easier because you only have to get a couple grafts to take and as the tree matures, the whole tree becomes those varieties you grafted.

Top working a tree is a pain in the ass because of all the grafts(scions) that must be used. Usually on a mature tree, you will have to graft onto the smaller outer branches in order to match the diameter of the scions. Because of this, only the outer canopy becomes the new variety and the fruiting wood moves up each year. These high grafted branches can easily be accidentally trimmed off if not careful.

If a tree is topworked with multiple varieties, it becomes difficult to tell what variety of fruit or scions you harvest off the tree. I know I have received several miss identified scions that were harvested from multigraft trees and we are now extremely paranoid about getting properly identified varieties.

When I do volunteer work for my elderly friends, I often top large trees to 24-32 inches and either bark graft or wait till new branches form from below the cut and graft a few of the new branches, usually in Spring.

With top worked trees, you also have to worry about rootstock branches coming up.

Simon

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
I agree with everything Brad and Simon said, and would add that "balancing" multiple varieties on a single tree also takes extra work.  By that, I mean having to prune back vigorous varieties harder than slower growing varieties to keep the vigorous ones from taking over a multi-grafted tree.  I was just doing some of that on an avocado.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
As previously noted, it depends on what you have to work with and what you are trying to accomplish.
A small seedling will likely give you a single graft site or two. Ideal for making a clone of a particular variety.
A mature tree being top worked will very likely give you multiple graft sites.  Often allows multiple varieties on the same tree although multiple grafts of the same variety can be made.

I have done both and would use whichever as appropriate depending on my situation is.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
If you top work by cutting way back and grafting onto the new sprouts then the tree will develop way faster than the small seedling since it already has a developed root system.  This is a big advantage when appropriate.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
Finca la isla has a great point as well.

In an ideal situation, the rootstock tree has nice scaffold branches evenly spaced at the proper height.

If it has 3 or 4 main scaffold branches, you only need to put on 1-2 grafts per branch after you cut back the scaffold branches. Unfortunately, most the larger trees I’ve been asked to topworked are larger seedling trees which were not shaped when younger so they are Christmas tree shaped with scaffold branches starting around 6-7 feet or higher. Grafting at these heights is a pain.

I’m lazy so I often end up cutting back unkept trees to knee level and then bark grafting.

Simon

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Depends on the size of the rootstock.  Obviously it’s easier/cheaper to do one graft opposed to 3 or 6 or more but if your rootstock is more developed than you have to topwork. 
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk