Author Topic: Need Id this plant  (Read 2210 times)

abimael777

• USA Puerto Rico plant zone 12
    • View Profile
Need Id this plant
« on: March 28, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
Greetings to all.
Could someone help me identify this plant. It may be a Garcinia from India but I'm not sure. I bought the plants in a community pot and from the beginning I knew that they were not the plants that I wanted but for more than a month that I had paid for them by Paypal (sent as a friend) and when I went to look for them I realized that there was I was cheated but I still brought them because I knew I was not going to be able to get the money back.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: Need Id this plant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:26:27 AM »
Looks like a yellow mangosteen.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
Yellow mangosteen or G. xanthochymus will have purple petiole.

abimael777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 11:16:43 AM »
Look diferent to my G.xanthochymus
G.xanthochymus (left) and not Id plant (right)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:40:59 AM »
Yellow mangosteen or G. xanthochymus will have purple petiole.

Here is my yellow mangosteen. New growth always looks like the young plant he has posted. Also, I keep mine in indirect light so the leaves are wider than normal.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:08:45 PM by Viking Guy »

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:09:06 AM »
From what I could find out on the Forum, 'Yellow mangosteen' is G.xanthochymus. Viking Guy, what you have is not Yellow mangosteen!!! At any stage the petiole will be purple!!! While your plant does not have.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:13:00 AM by Chandramohan »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
From what I could find out on the Forum, 'Yellow mangosteen' is G.xanthochymus. Viking Guy, what you have is not Yellow mangosteen!!! At any stage the petiole will be purple!!! While your plant does not have.

Mine is most certainly a yellow mangosteen.  As it was grown from seed, it can't be anything else.

abimael777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 01:03:39 PM »
Other G.xanthochymus

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 04:53:28 PM »
I also have a yellow and traditional from Excalibur they made ready a few years ago. Looks just the same.

Also, there are different kinds of yellow. Lemon drops like intermedia and madruno don't have any purple as far as I can tell. Mine is a G.madruno.

The OP most likely has intermedia, but hard to tell at that size.

It's my understanding that G.xanthochymus is a false mangosteen.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:06:43 PM by Viking Guy »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:36:52 PM »
Chandramohan is correct that the tree Viking Guy posted is definitely not G.xanthochymus - it is an american garcinia (formerly Rheedia which includes G.madruno). Different from the other species pictured in this thread. If we call every yellow fruited garcinia "yellow mangosteen" there would be quite a few different fruits we are calling yellow mangosteen.

G. madruno is an american (new world) garcinia species commonly called 'madrono' in Colombia and 'ocoro' in Bolivia. It is not a 'lemon drop' aka G. intermedia.

Abimael, looks like an old world (india/asia) garcinia species from the photos.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:43:03 PM by dwfl »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 03:22:00 AM »
Chandramohan is correct that the tree Viking Guy posted is definitely not G.xanthochymus - it is an american garcinia (formerly Rheedia which includes G.madruno). Different from the other species pictured in this thread. If we call every yellow fruited garcinia "yellow mangosteen" there would be quite a few different fruits we are calling yellow mangosteen.

G. madruno is an american (new world) garcinia species commonly called 'madrono' in Colombia and 'ocoro' in Bolivia. It is not a 'lemon drop' aka G. intermedia.

Not sure anyone, including myself, agreed that either of the trees pictured were G.xanthochymus.

I used yellow mangosteen the same way someone would use the word satsuma, perhaps. I wasn't referring specifically to the false mangosteen.

I specified above that mine was G.madruno--which, by the way, is referred to as one of the two lemon drops known, in addition to G.intermedia.  When loosely coining any of these, most folks I know just say yellow mangosteen in general.  I forget everyone here wants the exact Latin terminology. ::)

Anyways, where did the guy send your tree from? Seeing as you're from Puerto Rico, I find it less likely to originate from India--especially with them irradiating seeds etc.

All my Indian friends and I have to go to great lengths generally to make trades--almost comical, really.

Got me interested now, though. I may have to view this on my computer rather than my phone so I can blow up the photo.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 07:59:01 AM »
If people use the Scientific name rather than the coloquial  there wouldn't be this confusion. Viking Guy, Your plant is definitely G.madruno.
Abimael, Could you please post a photo of the petiole of the top two leaves? I thing it might be G.dulcis or G.atroviridis.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:08:03 AM by Chandramohan »

abimael777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
The seeds were collected in Las Marias, PR from a farm that its owner had more than 350 species of fruit trees. I have bought Garcinia seeds from India and about 90% have germinated. I currently have 7 varieties from India and the unidentified leaves of the plant are unlike any of them. The truth is that I don't even know what the person sold me, I only know that the Garcinia that he sold me is not what he told me it was.
Also they were more than 60 plants of supposed Garcinias and I did not find any seeds in the base of the plants and for me that is rare because the more than 20 species of Garcinia that I have have conserved the seed for more than 2 years and I have some over 2 years old that still have the seed attached to the trunk.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 12:19:21 PM »

I used yellow mangosteen the same way someone would use the word satsuma, perhaps. I wasn't referring specifically to the false mangosteen.

I specified above that mine was G.madruno--which, by the way, is referred to as one of the two lemon drops known, in addition to G.intermedia.  When loosely coining any of these, most folks I know just say yellow mangosteen in general.  I forget everyone here wants the exact Latin terminology. ::)

Completely different fruits and trees (g.madruno and g.intermedia). G. madruno is not referred to as a lemon drop (G.intermedia often is). Hope this helps you...!

G. madruno:

G. intermedia

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 03:07:13 PM by dwfl »

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »
The seeds were collected in Las Marias, PR from a farm that its owner had more than 350 species of fruit trees. I have bought Garcinia seeds from India and about 90% have germinated. I currently have 7 varieties from India and the unidentified leaves of the plant are unlike any of them. The truth is that I don't even know what the person sold me, I only know that the Garcinia that he sold me is not what he told me it was.
Also they were more than 60 plants of supposed Garcinias and I did not find any seeds in the base of the plants and for me that is rare because the more than 20 species of Garcinia that I have have conserved the seed for more than 2 years and I have some over 2 years old that still have the seed attached to the trunk.
the leaves look different than any garcinias I have. Maybe it's one of the rare garcinias from machabuca? What did david sell it to you as? It doesn't look like garcinia sp. Fst banana, maybe garcinia jorco but it looks different than my small jorcos

abimael777

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
The person who sold them to me told me it was a Garcinia sp but I have a graft of that Garcinia sp and the leaves are not alike at all. It is not Jorco because the leaves of the Jorco resemble that of G.intermedia. Maybe what sold me is another plant genus and not Garcinia.

abimael777

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »
Maybe is not Garcinia
No Id plants, no seeds

Seeds in Achachairu plants

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
The person who sold them to me told me it was a Garcinia sp but I have a graft of that Garcinia sp and the leaves are not alike at all. It is not Jorco because the leaves of the Jorco resemble that of G.intermedia. Maybe what sold me is another plant genus and not Garcinia.

Yeah, its definitely a garcinia species and ageeed it is not a new world (formerly Rheedia) garcinia species such as 'Jorco'. Can tell by the leaves. I would also agree with Chandramohan that a photo of the petiole will help with ID. I know of only a couple american garcinia species with purple-ish colored petioles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk