Author Topic: Achachairu and Luc Garcinia Tasted Finally Together  (Read 4547 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Achachairu and Luc Garcinia Tasted Finally Together
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:41:53 AM »
By some stroke of luck there was some overlap with my achachairu fruiting and Luc's Garcinia fruiting. So today was finally able to make a side by side comparison of the two fruits. They are both very fine and pleasant fruits to eat. But really they are quite different, especially in texture. Luc's is very soft, like a sauce. In today's tasting it tasted and smelled like pear sauce mixed with apple sauce. The achachairu is firmer textured. Today's tasting gave me a better impression of Luc's garcinia. The nice thing about it, apart from good size, and not clinging to the seed, is that you can select stage at which you eat it. If you eat it when it's just starting to get soft it still has a little bit of tartness, and the taste is almost as complex as the achachairu. So i've raised my rating of Luc's fruit one notch to 86 and achachairu stays at 88. The skin of Luc's has just a bit of bitterness, so i tried making a drink from it's skin and will compare with the drink made from achachairu.

Oscar

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Achachairu and Luc Garcinia Tasted Finally Together
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:14:49 PM »
Can't wait to try this fruit-to-fruit face off tasting myself!

Thank you for detailing your experience.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing your expirience oscar. How old was your achachairu before it fruited?
,William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:11:28 PM »

Thanks for sharing your expirience oscar. How old was your achachairu before it fruited?
,William
The achachairu was about 8 years old when it started fruiting.
Oscar

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:47 PM »
Do you have a list of all your numerical ratings? Curious what beats Acachairu

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:54 PM »
can you compare pulp percentage, or pulp to fruit weight ratio also?
By some stroke of luck there was some overlap with my achachairu fruiting and Luc's Garcinia fruiting. So today was finally able to make a side by side comparison of the two fruits. They are both very fine and pleasant fruits to eat. But really they are quite different, especially in texture. Luc's is very soft, like a sauce. In today's tasting it tasted and smelled like pear sauce mixed with apple sauce. The achachairu is firmer textured. Today's tasting gave me a better impression of Luc's garcinia. The nice thing about it, apart from good size, and not clinging to the seed, is that you can select stage at which you eat it. If you eat it when it's just starting to get soft it still has a little bit of tartness, and the taste is almost as complex as the achachairu. So i've raised my rating of Luc's fruit one notch to 86 and achachairu stays at 88. The skin of Luc's has just a bit of bitterness, so i tried making a drink from it's skin and will compare with the drink made from achachairu.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 11:54:54 PM »
You mean ratings for garcinias or for all fruits?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 11:58:56 PM »
I didn't weigh the fruits, and the edible portions, so don't have the exact numbers. I can say though that it's better for Luc's than for achachairu, just because the fruits are bigger, and Luc's has a very think outer skin.
Also keep in mind that is my first fruiting and that there are different types of Luc's. Raul told me the fruits on the photos i posted are on the smallish side. Next year, if i get a bigger crop will weigh them and come up with some numbers pulp to seed ratios.
Oscar

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
id like to see the entire list.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
For all fruits

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 09:05:30 PM »
Oscar could you please post a picture of your fruiting achacha tree? Ive always wanted to see a fruiting size tree since i have a couple of these plants.

Thanks, William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
I have a two Lu'c that flowered at around 3 years and one has set fruit although not many for the last 3 seasons and the tree is about 2m high now. Ironically my big original Luc's has been in the ground for 8 years and is 3m high but has not yet flowered. I thought the fruit would be much bigger than achachairu but they weren't being just a bit larger. I hope my jumbo fruits quickly.They are softer fleshed than achachairu, mine had similar flesh yield and were sweeter. Yes there is a pear thing going on but also other appealing overtones. I rank them more highly than achachairu and think they are a better fruit.
Yesterday I had some big macrophylla fruits which tasted much like a sweeter achachairu with better flesh thickness and bigger fruit. The flesh was softer but the skin and air space in the fruit reduced flesh yield. I would still rate Luc's ahead of this species from the fruit I had and macrophylla ahead of achachairu on fruit appeal to me. On reflection I should check if megaphylla and macrophylla are synonyms.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 09:23:50 PM »
I have a Luc's that is more than 3m tall.  It has flowered numerous times.  It flowered a couple of months ago, now it is flowering again.  Lots of flowers but never a single fruit set. 
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »

Luc's seems to fruit faster than Achachairu and Raul must have supplied excellent precocious stock. Thanks pal and the 3rd season of fruiting is a bit sparse again. When one of these tress at 3 feet high first burst into flower I was surprised. Both of these 2 trees are intermingling and flowering now.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 09:41:48 PM »
How many years did it take and how tall were your Achachairus when they started fruiting? To those of you that have one of course ;D

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 09:52:17 PM »
First one was at 3 years and 3 feet tall and the second was at 7 feet and 5 years old and the third has never flowered at aroung 8 years and maybe 11 feet high. They thrive on neglect I have found.

Hylo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »
Do grafted/seedling types of these garcinias affect time to fruit and/or fruit size?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 08:21:59 PM »
Do grafted/seedling types of these garcinias affect time to fruit and/or fruit size?
IDK anwer to your question. I would suspect fruiting would be faster from grafted trees. But grafting would have additional advantage of selecting for good types. It seems there is quite a bit of variation from different mother trees in the wild, as to size, shape, and even exterior color. Also some may be dioecious and others not. And some may be light producers and others heavy producers.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 09:24:58 PM »

I’m wondering what anyone thinks about my Luc’s tree. It’s about 6 years old and 5m tall. It flowers nicely and frequently. These photos were taken today. The flowers have always fallen off, never producing a single fruit. It is the only one in the vicinity. I have another that is far away and hasn’t flowered as it hasn’t really grown like the one in the photo. People say that single trees set but this one sure hasn’t.
Peter

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 02:05:22 AM »

I’m wondering what anyone thinks about my Luc’s tree. It’s about 6 years old and 5m tall. It flowers nicely and frequently. These photos were taken today. The flowers have always fallen off, never producing a single fruit. It is the only one in the vicinity. I have another that is far away and hasn’t flowered as it hasn’t really
grown like the one in the photo. People say that single trees set but this one sure hasn’t.
Peter

Hey peter,

Why dont you try transplanting your other smaller tree near your bigger tree? That would probably fix the problem plus it would be a nice experiment.

,William

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 04:19:36 AM »

I’m wondering what anyone thinks about my Luc’s tree. It’s about 6 years old and 5m tall. It flowers nicely and frequently. These photos were taken today. The flowers have always fallen off, never producing a single fruit. It is the only one in the vicinity. I have another that is far away and hasn’t flowered as it hasn’t really grown like the one in the photo. People say that single trees set but this one sure hasn’t.
Peter
I'm thinking some trees are dioecious. Raul also reported some single trees in the wild that never fruit. Your flowers look like females.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 04:46:53 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
I’m thinking a transplant is too risky.  I’ll wait until the other tree flowers then try pollinating.  It will be interesting to compare the flowers.  I could graft from the other tree as well but, in any case, I want to see it flower first.
Thanks,
Peter

Hylo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
IDK anwer to your question. I would suspect fruiting would be faster from grafted trees. But grafting would have additional advantage of selecting for good types. It seems there is quite a bit of variation from different mother trees in the wild, as to size, shape, and even exterior color. Also some may be dioecious and others not. And some may be light producers and others heavy producers.
I reckon you're correct...selected grafts can improve taste and should bear earlier, although I wonder if grafting affects fruit size like in other Garcinias?
I found this from https://www.agrifutures.com.au/farm-diversity/mangosteen/ regarding farm plantings of G .mangostana -
"Grafted trees are occasionally produced, but although they are reported to be earlier bearing, the trees are small and produce smaller fruit compared to seedling trees. Grafted trees are rarely used for commercial production due to their low vigour, but are ideal for backyard production."

Can anyone report if fruit size is smaller on grafted Lucs?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2020, 12:52:40 AM »
I reckon you're correct...selected grafts can improve taste and should bear earlier, although I wonder if grafting affects fruit size like in other Garcinias?
I found this from https://www.agrifutures.com.au/farm-diversity/mangosteen/ regarding farm plantings of G .mangostana -
"Grafted trees are occasionally produced, but although they are reported to be earlier bearing, the trees are small and produce smaller fruit compared to seedling trees. Grafted trees are rarely used for commercial production due to their low vigour, but are ideal for backyard production."

Can anyone report if fruit size is smaller on grafted Lucs?
I think that quote is only true for mangosteen, which is quite an unique plant among the garcinias.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 12:55:43 AM »
I’m thinking a transplant is too risky.  I’ll wait until the other tree flowers then try pollinating.  It will be interesting to compare the flowers.  I could graft from the other tree as well but, in any case, I want to see it flower first.
Thanks,
Peter
Compare with flowers from one of my trees that i think is male.

Oscar