Author Topic: Which wild Annonas have good fruit?  (Read 1439 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Which wild Annonas have good fruit?
« on: November 07, 2019, 04:30:15 AM »
I think most of us have tried cultivated Annonas like mucosa, muricata, atemoya, cherimoya, squamosa and reticulata. Some of us have tried cultivated rarer species like ilama and soncoya and are positive. We have also argued about which are the best cultivated Annonas and routinely compared varieties.

With semi cultivated species like A,montana and scleriderma and I suppose even A.glabra the consensus seems to be that scleroderma can be pretty good but the other 2 not so much.

With such a great group of fruits not many of us can comment on the wild species and just how good quality their fruit is. Some examples are:

A.crassiflora seems to have a few fans but have any forum members really tried it and can give a good account?
A.salzmanii has positive reviews and if true might be a good one to grow for fruit.
A.cornifolia sometimes gets good reviews and may be worth growing for fruit.

My question is have forum members tried other wild Annona species and can report they have good fruit of reasonable size, flesh yield, taste or even tree productivity and can report they are well worth growing? Which ones are worth targeting by people more interested in trying novel tasty fruit rather than being a stamp collector of species?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Which wild Annonas have good fruit?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
Thanks to Antonio for presenting this information for everyone!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
Thanks B2B that is very helpful.It's good to know A.spinescens is on the team because I have a young one in my yard. I also have an A.salzmannii to be planted soon and that features well on that list.

Fruit Monster

• Australia, Eastern Seaboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 05:45:29 AM »
I've tried A. Crassiflora on several occasions. It's readily available at the markets in Belo Horizonte when it's in season.
The flavor is intense and has an uncanny resemblance to musk stick lollies.
Seed count is rather high. I enjoyed eating it but it's not the kind of fruit I'd want to eat too often.
Overall I'd give the fruit a 6/10

I think most of us have tried cultivated Annonas like mucosa, muricata, atemoya, cherimoya, squamosa and reticulata. Some of us have tried cultivated rarer species like ilama and soncoya and are positive. We have also argued about which are the best cultivated Annonas and routinely compared varieties.

With semi cultivated species like A,montana and scleriderma and I suppose even A.glabra the consensus seems to be that scleroderma can be pretty good but the other 2 not so much.

With such a great group of fruits not many of us can comment on the wild species and just how good quality their fruit is. Some examples are:

A.crassiflora seems to have a few fans but have any forum members really tried it and can give a good account?
A.salzmanii has positive reviews and if true might be a good one to grow for fruit.
A.cornifolia sometimes gets good reviews and may be worth growing for fruit.

My question is have forum members tried other wild Annona species and can report they have good fruit of reasonable size, flesh yield, taste or even tree productivity and can report they are well worth growing? Which ones are worth targeting by people more interested in trying novel tasty fruit rather than being a stamp collector of species?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
Thanks B2B that is very helpful.It's good to know A.spinescens is on the team because I have a young one in my yard. I also have an A.salzmannii to be planted soon and that features well on that list.
You can watch Antonio's presentation on promising annonas here:
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEWKOOMvfl0&t=36s
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4bXyH7m94Y&t=134s
Josh Starry just posted about Annona spraguei. That one might also be promising with a bit of selection work for larger size and less seeds.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »
Thanks Oscar and that is exactly what I am looking for. Great information and it filled in a lot of gaps. Antonia has a pleasant and informative style.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 02:07:00 AM »
Thanks Oscar and that is exactly what I am looking for. Great information and it filled in a lot of gaps. Antonia has a pleasant and informative style.
Glad you enjoyed it. The videos of the presentation by Marco Lacerda from e-jardim.com are also great. Check them out:
Brazilian Myrtaceae (jaboticaba family) plants with possible commercial promise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzogeD2EbB8&t=995s

the best of Brazilian rare fruits:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFhLMuo5A0
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAae-q5Cl6w (unfortunately this got cut short due to batteries getting drained).
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk