Author Topic: Flowers and fruit in November  (Read 2361 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Flowers and fruit in November
« on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »
Maha Chanok fruit removed, because the tree is still too young.

Abiu seedling. Seeds bought two years ago from Oscar.

Sri Kembangan Carambola

Geffner Atemoya

Guanabana

Jaboticaba

Thai sapodilla

Canistel cv Oro

Blue Java (?)

Manzano

Carob

Anon seedling

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Flowers and fruit in November
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
Maha Chanok fruit removed, because the tree is still too young.

Looks like everything is doing really well.  Thanks for posting....but I have a question.  Why did you let the Maha mango get so big.  Its just about mature size.  If you were interested in protecting the plant from decline from carrying a fruit too early in its young life, it should have been removed when it was fraction of this size.  If it were me, I would have given it a couple of weeks and you would be eating a ripe Maha. In reality, the damage, if any there was from carrying the fruit too young, was already done. Just a thought for future reference, its water under the bridge now.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Thanks Harry! I did not cut the fruit off before, because my Dad and I did not detect it. It was a big dilemma for me. I guess this fruit was at 50%. At the end I decided to cut it off, considering that the plant has not much vigor, since it has been flowering non stop for the last 12 month.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
HOLY SMOKES, that is what your abiu looks like after 2 years from seed!!!  Incredible place you guys are creating.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »
coņo Felipe buenisima cosecha! no en balde que los isleņos se sentian a gusto en Cuba y Puerto Rico.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »
WOW HOLLY COW!!!  :o  ;D Your trees look great, and i'm amazed with your abiu and sapotilla!  :P :P :P

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
I was going to ask the same thing as Harry. My very small Nam Doc Mai did the same thing with hiding a fruit until lit was about 50% grown but I left mine on the tree. The fruit from my very small tree was extremely sweet! Perhaps you have the same issue with almost continual flowering with your mangos where you are just like us here in Cdlifornia. Do you have other mangoes that just continually flower an produce very few growth flushes? My mango trees flower and have a very heavy initial fruit set every year at the expense of vegetative growth. Please keep us updated on your plants!
Simon

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »
Ethan, I have done nothing special, only giving some manure and amoniun sulfate ;)

JF, jajaja... si, nosotros por ahi estamos como en casa, y viceversa. Lo unico es que ellos tienen lluvia, mientras que nosotros casi nadita :/

Luis, obrigado. I was also very surprised to see this young abiu flowering.

Simon, I have had Maha Chanok for only one year in ground. So far, I have not seen such a behaviour in other mangos. Let's see if it will behave in future the same way. I have been lowering the ph latelly and giving this mango plenty of water and N, so I hope this will encourage growth. Over here, mangos make three growth flushes per year and flourish on a pretty regular basis from Winter to Spring. But in my non-commercial orchad sometimes you can expect offseason flowers and fruit. This year for example, I was surprised to find a few old turpentine trees with ripe fruit by the end of this month. Usually the last mangos (Keitt) are gone in October.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
Great going Felipe! Everything looks great. I agree with Harry. I would have left that Maha Chanok on that plant, as damage was already done, and probably set up my tent and camped out next to it.  ;)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk