Author Topic: Amelie mango  (Read 4704 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Amelie mango
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »
A frew days ago I bought a few Amelie mangos from Burkina Faso in a market in Germany. They were very good. They fruit looks like a small Kent and has an indian taste profile; deep orange fibre free flesh, complex acidic and resinous taste. I thought this cultivars was the indian Ameeri, but after comparing some pictures in the web, I realized that they are not the same cultivar. Has anyone information or experience with Amelie?

I will post tomorrow some pictures.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Amelie mango
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Never heard of it but I'm sure Dongeorgio is gonna want it...expect a pm from him soon...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
hahaha!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »
Never heard of it but I'm sure Dongeorgio is gonna want it...expect a pm from him soon...

Based on the mango cultivar list, it is a tall tree from West Africa with a mono embryonic seed and fruit that weigh between 300 - 600 g.  It is also known as "Gouvernour" and, most importantly, I am ABSOLUTELY in the market for one.  If anyone has one of these, please PM me. 
George

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
Don,

How many more spaces do you have for mango trees left? 

How much land do you have all of your trees planted on?  Quite an impressive mango collection you have amassed in a seemingly short period of time.  You must have a very understanding wife :)

I look forward to pictures of a yard your someday!

Brad
Brad

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »
Dongeorgio is creating cocktail mango trees as i recall.  That's why he often has trees to trade.  Quite the collection, i must say!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:03 AM »
Brad,   The wife has agreed that she gets control of the house and I get control of the yard but I can tell that her patience is wearing thin  ;D   Gunner is correct, I am creating cocktail trees and sooner or later the lions share of my trees will be traded, sold or perhaps planted in my plazas or I may buy a plot of land for them.  The future is very hazy for my collection as I have been known to switch passions pretty quickly.   For example, I was into MMA (mixed martial arts) before this and had architectural plans for an octagon that I was going to erect in my back yard before I changed hobbies.  When I am in to a hobby, I go guns blazing until I have either perfected it or grown bored of it.  That being said, I have been into fruit trees for a good few years now (much longer than my usual timeline of boredom) and have no end in sight.   
George

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 06:58:17 AM »
haha.  I struck a similar deal with the wife last year upon moving to our house.  It's tough sometimes when i want to do something inside the house, but i have to check myself because she has been good about it.  The most she'll do is get on me about cleaning up the pots i leave around when potting up trees and seedlings, which is totally understandable. 
~Jeff

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:34:22 AM »

Dear friends,

find attached two pictures of Amelie. After eating a few of them, I have come to the conclusion that this cultivar is not a must have. It has a interesting indian taste, but it has a lack of sweetness and too much acidity. I suspect it is the kind of mango that must be picked 100% ripe from the tree, or else it does not develop its full taste. This mango is far away from the great indian cultivars.

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
Do you have any pics of the inside of the mango?
George

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:39 AM »
Don, I will make tomorrow a picture of the inside ;)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
Thanks Felipe.  Did anything change in your opinion of the flavor profile from your first tasting to now?
George

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »
Today i ate an Amelie mango from Mali, it was really great even after the treatment it got before the journey to Europe.

I also want to grow this mango!

GreeningTheDesert

• Algeria
    • View Profile
    • My Plants
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
I have not a single idea about Mango varieties, and I'm just starting to grow few from seeds. All I know is that all of them are imported from Mali, and they're quiet different in size, shape, and taste. Even the seeds do have all sort of forms and shapes, and some are Mono-Embryonic, and the others are Poly-Embryonic.

They're very sensitive to spiders though, as they caused me some problems and burned several leaves, which caused them to fall. You can check the seedlings' photos and the burned leaves on my blog: http://myplants.tk

The Mango season is ending, and with all the war going on in Mali, we have a restricted amount of produce that is allowed to come in through the borders, so my supply of seeds has almost ended and I'm not sure if the forum policies allow people to trade seeds, and if there are others still looking for these African super uber sweet fleshy mangoes' seeds :)

I have never tasted an Indian one, which everyone refers to here. The only one I could taste and found in the market was the Brazilian ones, and I totally didn't like the taste, and found that their skin is edible itself and was so thin, and it has a web-like strings that ruined the whole experience for me and neither am I gonna try another one again.

If anyone of you know he's got a good type and the seed is poly-embryonic, then hit me here. Good luck everybody.

(I was interested by the Mango addict here and his trees, and I would so much love to see some pics of his backyard)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.827.7105&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Amelie came to dominate west African countries relatively recent (1800s) mangoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk