Author Topic: Yay!! Pickering...finally found one!!  (Read 10922 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Yay!! Pickering...finally found one!!
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
I've been picking Pickering mangoes off the same little tree with 10 fruits, since late feb..still have 2 left on the tree about 1-2 weeks from ripe...seems like harvest is over an extended period

My pickering is flowering for the 2nd go round (1st time-no fruit set) and has little fruitlets starting to develop! Maybe my pickering season isn't over after all

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
holy cow! your pickrang is flowering now? thanks for update MarinFL
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »
I've been picking Pickering mangoes off the same little tree with 10 fruits, since late feb..still have 2 left on the tree about 1-2 weeks from ripe...seems like harvest is over an extended period
late February ???  When did it push the initial inflos ? 
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
bs bullie

oops meant April!! the 27th to be exact.

not late Feb!  thanks for noticing!! 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
The Pickering family emerged as notable Englishmen in the county of Yorkshire where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated as Lords of the manor of Oswald Kirk and estates in that shire, and this branch was represented by Sir William Pykering. They later branched to Coram in Coverdale in that same shire. The main stem of the family branched westward to Winderwath in Westmoreland of which Sir James Pickering was the scion of the family. He purchased Tichmarsh in the country of Northampton and they became involved with the distinguised Norman family of Umfraville. Sir Gilbert Pickering was one of the leaders of the group which captured Guy Fawkes and his conspirators in the gunpowder plot. Their present family seats are at Tidmarsh, Whadden and Hindmarsh. They are also registered as a distinguished family of the the U.S.A. Distinguised members of the family at this time include Sir Gilbert Pickering.

The Pickering name means "people from the pointed hill". There are several places in England with the "Pickering" name including the "Pickering Castle" just outside of Pickering, Yorkshire.

http://members.shaw.ca/rjvatromp/pickring/pick2.html

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »
Thanks ALL!!

Wow Marin, that is great news about your Pickering re-blooming this late in the year...I also have a couple of inflos with a few tiny mangoes forming on my Potted Glenn...definitely a weird year for strange happenings for Mango trees this year. Not sure if mine will fully develop ( I have 4 almost mature mangoes on it right now) and a growth flush hardening off as well.

You definitely need a Pickering DNT72800!

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
Thanks ALL!!

Wow Marin, that is great news about your Pickering re-blooming this late in the year...I also have a couple of inflos with a few tiny mangoes forming on my Potted Glenn...definitely a weird year for strange happenings for Mango trees this year. Not sure if mine will fully develop ( I have 4 almost mature mangoes on it right now) and a growth flush hardening off as well.

You definitely need a Pickering DNT72800!

Nancy I had 4 Glenn mangos on my potted tree thst all fell off this week due to all the excessive amounts of rain we have gotten. They ripened in a few days and tasted like ....NOTHING!!! Nice color though, if that's any consolation (not) :(

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Oh Shoot...Sorry about your Glenns Marin! I know you guys have had SO much rain lately...we've been the opposite, very dry! We did however get almost an inch last Sunday from a feeder band from Tropical Storm Beryl...that's' been about it as far as rain goes. I'm sure all that rain you received caused those Glenns to taste like nothing  :(

I hope mine taste good...I'll let you know. Shouldn't be too much longer maybe a week or two?

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Oh Shoot...Sorry about your Glenns Marin! I know you guys have had SO much rain lately...we've been the opposite, very dry! We did however get almost an inch last Sunday from a feeder band from Tropical Storm Beryl...that's' been about it as far as rain goes. I'm sure all that rain you received caused those Glenns to taste like nothing  :(

I hope mine taste good...I'll let you know. Shouldn't be too much longer maybe a week or two?

Nancy, I think next time there are mangoes on that tree and it starts raining like that again I will put a poncho over the pot around the base of the tree to keep all that rain out! Mango Rain Gear :)

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
That's a Great idea Marin!! I've actually done that to my potted mango tree before. I put a large plastic garbage bag and place it on top of the pot to cover it up and use clothespins to secure it. I place it so its like a tepee  (water runs down like a hill) and outside the pot. I do this when we have more than 2 days in a row of heavy rain...Ahh the things we do to keep our plants and us happy,lol...

When the pot was small its not a big deal to bring it in the garage...but when they get too large to move...we have to improvise  ;D