Author Topic: Brazilian Pitanga Seeds "Surinan Cherry" (Big Fruits)  (Read 2319 times)

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
Brazilian Pitanga Seeds "Surinan Cherry" (Big Fruits)
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »
Hi guys!
I have been harvesting a lot of Pitanga fruits this week and I would like to sell some of the seeds for those interested in something different.
I acquired the seeds in 2011 from a Brazilian friend who lives South of Brazil, in Santa Catarina. The tree produces big fruits, sometimes small too depending of the season. Fruits are very juice and sweet if picked ripe, otherwise the fruit will be a little tart.

Price is $9.99 for 15 seeds including shipping to US ONLY! Sorry but I will not be sending it overseas.
Here are some pictures and I'll upload some videos later.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:21:05 PM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian Pitanga Seeds "Surinan Cherry" (Big Fruits)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Fruit is slightly bigger than a quarter and usually have 2-3 seeds, small fruits have only 1 big one.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:55:12 PM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
I think the Pitanga do cerrado is a different botanical species with a dwarf habit and often a slightly different type of leaves. The one you have looks like Eugenia Uniflora to me, but I am not a botanist.
When you offer seeds for sale it is often helpful to say upfront how sure you are of the identification or wether you are just guessing. There are a lot of varieties of Eugenia Uniflora out there and they can be very different looking from one another. Some of them are reportedly very good!

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
Hi Solko.
Thanks for replying.
The fruit is very similar to the pitanga do cerrado but like you said, leaves are different. I sent an email to a Brazilian botanist and I’m waiting for a reply.
Thank you.

I think the Pitanga do cerrado is a different botanical species with a dwarf habit and often a slightly different type of leaves. The one you have looks like Eugenia Uniflora to me, but I am not a botanist.
When you offer seeds for sale it is often helpful to say upfront how sure you are of the identification or wether you are just guessing. There are a lot of varieties of Eugenia Uniflora out there and they can be very different looking from one another. Some of them are reportedly very good!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:58:54 PM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Sowmya

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »
Hi! My name is Sowmya and I am looking for the Pitanga seeds. I am from La Jolla. Do you have them ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:28:01 AM »
They are E.uniflora usually called Surinam cherry, brazil cherry or pitanga. They are not E,pitanga.