Author Topic: COTRG stem/limb die back?  (Read 1025 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
COTRG stem/limb die back?
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:38:14 PM »
Hi,

I just started growing COTRG (cherry of the Rio Grande) and have 5 plants in the ground here in Orlando, Fl. I've noticed that I have stems and limbs dieing back every so often. The trees are still growing and putting out new leaves, but it's frustrating to see the trees not growing as well as they could due to this limb death. I'm afraid it will eventually kill the trees. Anyone else experience this and are the trees still worth growing?  What could be causing it?  The trees are planted in good soil with full sun. I'm not overwatering either.

Thanks,

Chrobrego in Orlando

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Re: COTRG stem/limb die back?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:19:59 AM »
I quit growing them just because of that. Have heard similar stories from others. No sure of the cause though.
Keith

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
I have a tree that I got and gave some synthetic fertilizer to and it almost killed it.
I only gave it rain water and manures and it started thriving. It is now 8 feet tall and
doing great. It flowered real heavy this spring but then we got cold and only about 50
fruit set. It flowered again and most of the fruit was small and seedless. It was completely
flattened by Irma and had to be staked back up. I have another tree I got as a plug and it
was growing real well. It has totally different leaves and it flowered this year as well.
It is 3 years old and about 4'. It didn't set fruit and the center trunk died and I have had to
cut off allot of dieback. I am not sure why? The two trees get the same water and manure.
I also have a Calycina that is growing real well but hasn't flowered yet. The fruit is very good
on the 8' tree and is very much like a Northern cherry. I try to order new seeds from different
sources every chance I get. The tree is so variable.   

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »
i think maybe fungal, and stress related.

trees planted in full sun that are stressed seem to show signs of this, it's usually not fatal.  I've seen it happen to many Eugenias, and Plinias.

There are boring beetles that can cause symptoms like this too.

I've always tried to reduce stress, especially heat/drought related, and never feed them too much at once, especially anything synthetic.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com