Author Topic: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread  (Read 51166 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
I always assume that if they drop, they are ripe. The seeds have to be colored up, if they are white then there is usually little flavor. Some people like them heavily wrinkled and others eat them with only a little bit. I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules. My P. edulis is in full swing so right now that is what I am eating. The fruit comes in waves and there is enough to make a juice from or drizzle over fruit salad. I've got to figure out a way to grow a ton of these.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
I always assume that if they drop, they are ripe. The seeds have to be colored up, if they are white then there is usually little flavor. Some people like them heavily wrinkled and others eat them with only a little bit. I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules. My P. edulis is in full swing so right now that is what I am eating. The fruit comes in waves and there is enough to make a juice from or drizzle over fruit salad. I've got to figure out a way to grow a ton of these.

Thanks for the info - yeah, I went ahead and ate this one 2 days after it fell. It was....okay. I don't have enough experience eating these to really know what to expect.
I have 20 something fruits forming, so I will experiment and see what I can see.

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but how are you managing your edulis? In a pot that you bring indoors? If so, what kind of setup do you have indoors?

I am starting to fear that incarnata may not be worth growing for fruit......edulis is so far superior, it seems.

If I had the resources, I would love to try to breed a great-tasting incarnata.

This "Iridescence" vine is supposed to be just that, but I have not tasted yet. So far I am disappointed - the fruits are the smallest of all the vines I have growing - not much bigger than golf balls  :-\

P.S. I actually really like eating the maypop skin...it has the funkiest sweet/savory flavor, makes me think of sweet potato or parsnip chips.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »
Don't give up too quickly, a lot of the stuff I grow had weak flavor in the beginning. It seems that after the plants mature they taste better. Mine also seem to have richer flavor if I remember to fertilize them on a schedule.

I still like my P. incarnata vines. Maybe this year the two will have ripe fruit at the same time and I can see how close or how far apart they are flavor wise. I can send you seeds or even fruit from mine and you can compare. I don't really manage the Maypops, they just do what they want out in the garden. I intend to build some sort of trellis system so I can get to the fruit better, but the garden chore list is long.

I have the P. edulis in a large horse feed bucket (maybe 35+ gallons). I stuck into that a very strong and tall tomato cage. The pot is tall and combined with the cage it is over 6 feet tall. The vine climbed up quickly and I wove it in and out of the rods on the cage to try and keep it compact. I drag it into my hoophouse for the winter after first frost. Inside it tends to go wild and climb all over everything. Outside for the summer it seems happy to just drape down from the top of the tomato cage. I haven't had to trim it once this summer and I have it parked next to an elevated wooden deck with railings I thought it would cover up.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
The Maypops I planted back in May have been blooming the past few weeks, but we're only 2 to 6 weeks away from our first frost depending on the weather so I'm doubtful they'll fruit this year.  Should be interesting whether or not they come back next year; they are well mulched and south facing so I think they have an outside chance.

Fabio

• Croatia, Istra USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
The Passiflora incarnata is self fertile plant or she needs a pollinator and  who is the best pollinator for her ?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »
The Passiflora incarnata is self fertile plant or she needs a pollinator and  who is the best pollinator for her ?

They simply need a genetically different incarnata in order to set fruit, or another Passiflora species such as caerulea or cincinnata, or even edulis if you have one.

Have fun!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »
I had big plans to expand my maypop collection this year. I stratified over 100 seeds of both pure incarnata and the "iridescence " hybrid for 4-6 months.
I sowed them 2 weeks ago but have not had the speedy germination I seem to have gotten last year (wish I had better notes).
So far I only have one little seed that has emerged. There were some issues with the soil drying s but, so I may have set things back a few days until I corrected.
Anyway, just a little frustrating so far but trying to be patient. I tried to save only seed from really tasty fruits, excited to see if I can get some high quality fruits out of the offspring. especially the Iridescence offspring - hoping for larger fruit size.  This vine had excellent tasting fruits but very small and very little pulp. For
The record, though, a very tropical and complex flavor - floral, reminded me of flavicarpa a bit. Not all that sweet.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
My big maypop sprout-out was a pretty big flop.

I believe the seeds were dried-out by my heat setup - only one out of nearly 100 seeds germinated.

I lost all my Iridescence seeds.

Fortunately I discovered a ziploc in the fridge of essentially unmarked seeds, and I was able to sprout these easily. They're about 4-5 inches tall now.
I only saved seeds from tasty fruits, so these have at least that much going for them, but it was not what I hoped for - i don't know the parentage of these seedlings. I'm hoping at least 1 of them has Iridescence genetics from cross-pollination.

On a more important note, I think i have commented before on little brilliant-orange hopping beetles that love to eat my maypop leaves.
Well, i discovered a few weeks ago that they were eating the emerging maypops in my garden. They were basically completely pruning all new shoots at ground level.

I have been spraying a pure neem oil emulsion (water, neem, dr. bronner's soap) and it seems to be working quite well. All previous attempts to deter these pests had failed.

So FYI for anyone else facing these guys. (I still don't know what they're called other than "leaf hoppers" I guess).

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
One of my seedling vines from last year is displaying some curious morphology this year as it has emerged.
The tendrils are sporting their own flower buds (or pseudo-flower buds).

Pretty wild! The earlier leaves are also massive - I would estimate 8 or more inches across. Not sure if all the leaves will end up this big.
Hasn't bloomed quite yet so will be interesting to see what happens.
The odd thing is that it did not display any of these features last year. It did flower and fruit.

Oh - I think I just remembered. Last year this vine DID have one oddity - several 5-lobed leaves. Standard is 3. So something wacky with the genetics of this fella.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2018, 04:45:45 AM »
This passiflora seams to be very interesting! I will try it!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:11:12 AM by Luisport »

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:32 AM »
Very interesting indeed. Keep us updated on your plants @Triloba Tracker.

I have also ordered some Incarnata seeds from TradeWindsFruit, as it seems to be impossible to get seeds or plants through local retailers here in Austria or even Germany. I planted the seeds in pots and put them outside, but so far none of them have come up. I will try stratifying the remaining seeds and plant them in the next season I guess...

I also have a Passiflora Caerulea that I bought from a local supermarket for 8€ (with flower buds on it), and to my surprise, it even set fruit. When I looked it up online, several websites said that Caerulea is self-infertile.

https://imgur.com/a/pA5jiL5

I have put the fruit in a repurposed garlic mesh as the local slugs love the tropical Passiflora flavor and constantly chew on the plant ;D

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »
Good luck with your incarnata seeds. I may have some next year (after stratification) that I could send you.
I think you would like incarnata fruits better than caerulea.
I will get some more pictures posted soon. Some of the tendril-flowers seem like they may actually mature and open.

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
Yeah, would like to get some seeds. Add me to the list :)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
The tendril-flowers have abscissed, which i kind of expected.
However, getting some other insteresting genetics out in my "vineyard"

This vine is throwing 5-lobed leaves:

I also have a brand new seedling with pure white flowers (a la "Alba" maypop available in some catalogs). Need to get a picture of that.
I wish I had ability to grow all my seeds out...just love the roulette of the genetics...

oneiromant

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2018, 11:06:26 PM »
My Maypop died over winter!  All of my Zone 7+8 plants were just fine, pretty disappointed.  If anyone has seeds this year from some decent fruit I'd love to buy them :)

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
My Maypop died over winter!  All of my Zone 7+8 plants were just fine, pretty disappointed.  If anyone has seeds this year from some decent fruit I'd love to buy them :)

Bummer!!! I should have more seeds than  you can shake a stick at. We’ll see.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
What time of year do they usually flower for you?
Mine opened its first flower today. I am very excited as this is my first succesful attempt at growing this species. I've tried and failed twice before. I guess the key really is keeping it dryish during winter, at least where I live. It is around 2m tall right now.

cheers

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2018, 02:09:30 PM »
That’s awesome! Nice job.
I would say here they start flowering in mid-May.
I have had mixed results trying to grow in pots. One year I had some that did ok and fruited, by this year they’ve done poorly. Though I will say I have not fertilized as I should. I found they respond well to fish emulsion/fertilizer. This year I used Miracle Gro All Purpose on the seedlings and they didn’t seem to like it.
Also the more sun you give, the more flowers you’ll have. They will not flower at all if too shady.

I’m currently interested in figuring out how to maximize fruiting via pruning or training. I have a theory that if you can train to a single runner, this is ideal. Wondering if pruning all side growth from leaf axils will help further or harm. I waited too late to try training a long runner but am trying to keep most side growth pruned over the last couple weeks.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2018, 02:36:20 PM »
That’s awesome! Nice job.
I would say here they start flowering in mid-May.
Does that mean they emerge in May (maypop) and flower within the same month? We lack the heat here, so it would be normal that we are later but that is awfully quick!

Though I will say I have not fertilized as I should. I found they respond well to fish emulsion/fertilizer. This year I used Miracle Gro All Purpose on the seedlings and they didn’t seem to like it.

None of these fertilisers are available here – would you be able to recommend a N-P-K ratio so I can try to find something similar?

I’m currently interested in figuring out how to maximize fruiting via pruning or training. I have a theory that if you can train to a single runner, this is ideal. Wondering if pruning all side growth from leaf axils will help further or harm. I waited too late to try training a long runner but am trying to keep most side growth pruned over the last couple weeks.
Sounds interesting, keep us updated. I will let mine grow freely, now that it finally does grow.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2018, 03:28:20 PM »
No, for me they can start to emerge in late March and are flowering by late May. I have a lot of sun where mine are planted.  The milder the winter the sooner they emerge.
The fish fertilizer i used I think was 5-1-1 which seems insufficient for flowering etc but when I used it, my seedlings flowered while still indoors before I could move them outside. This maybe been due to stress from root crowding because I failed to pot them up properly. But overall they seemed much happier than this year with chemical fert.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »
Haven't shared any pics in a while so here are some shots of my maypop garden.
There are a total of 13 distinct vines on a 32-foot long "fence." It's made of 6 cedar posts sunk in concrete and 2 16-foot "cattle panels" which are galvanized wire of 4x4 inch grids.
To keep the the critters away, I have a 2-foot high chicken wire fence around the whole perimeter.

Production seems to be really good so far this year. Plus, I doubled my output by planting 8 new seedlings.

The vines by now have definitely gone AWOL, coming up outside of the fence-in area.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
One of the best part of raising passion vine is they are the host food plant for the Gulf Fritillary, a native down here on the Gulf Coast.  Truly a flying jewel.  Occasionally we get a wandering migrant Zebra or Julia of the Heliconia genus. The closer to Mexico the better the chances of seeing those guys. They also feed on passion vine.  While I do rarely see adults in the Houston area, I have never been so fortunate as to stumble upon a breeding population down here.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »
Yep good point! I get lots of Gulf Fritillary visitors. Of course the larvae can decimate the vines so I have to be careful. I haven’t paid a lot of attention in the past to the timing of their arrival but this year I haven’t  seen any. Not sure if there are climatic reasons or just that it’s too early. I suspect the latter.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »
Nice looking, familyJ!
 Is that a hybrid? That looks almost exactly like my Iridescence and Casanova vines .....