Author Topic: Anyone love this mango - Mangifera odorata  (Read 2626 times)

3L

• Thailand, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Anyone love this mango - Mangifera odorata
« on: June 25, 2019, 04:02:48 AM »
I am not sure if it is Mangifera odorata, found on wikipedia as follows:

"Mangifera odorata (commonly known as kwini,[3] kweni, kuweni, kuwini, or Saipan mango[2]) is a species of plant in the family Anacardiaceae. It is native to Guam, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam[1] and cultivated in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Kwini or Mangifera odorata is a mango species that is native to tropical Asia. The fruit is light orange in colour and juicy sweet when ripe. The tree emits a fragrant resinous smell. The tree flowers throughout the year and the flowers too are strongly scented with its fragrance. The sap on unripe kwini fruits is poisonous. The fruits are spherical, almost round in shape, dark green to green when ripe."

I love this mango so much and just has a chance to got 2 graft trees and some seedings.
Many people don't like it because of its smell even it is so sweet and tasty.

Anyone else love this mango or growing it?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone love this mango - Mangifera odorata
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
For sure it smells. In Malaysia last year, had to keep it on the Airbnb patio with the Durian out of respect for the owners.  But like Durian, I do enjoy the taste.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
the same wiki entry in Thai is expanded, translated some interesting parts

มะม่วงจิ้งหรีดเป็นไม้ยืนต้น (cricket mango) เปลือกต้นสีเทา มีน้ำยางทำให้ระคายเคือง ใบเหนียวคล้ายหนัง โคนก้านใบโป่งพอง ดอกช่อ ดอกย่อยสีออกเหลืองอมชมพูอ่อน ผลแบบเมล็ดเดียวแข็ง เนื้อหนา สีเขียวหรือเขียวอมเหลือง ผลของมะม่วงจิ้งหรีดเมื่อสุกเป็นสีส้มอ่อน รสหวาน ออกดอกตลอดปี (flowers year round) เนื้อผลสีเหลืองอมส้ม แน่น มีเส้นใย (large fibers) รสหวานอมเปรี้ยว (sweet and sour) ฉ่ำน้ำ มีกลิ่นฉุนและกลิ่นขี้ไต้

เป็นพืชที่พบตามธรรมชาติน้อย (not naturally occurring) มักพบเป็นพืชปลูก คาดว่าเป็นลูกผสมระหว่างมะม่วงกับส้มมุด (likely a cross between indica and foetida)  ผลสุกรับประทานได้ ผลดิบใช้ดองเกลือหรือตำน้ำพริก (green can be pickled or made into chili paste) ในชวานำเมล็ดไปผลิตเป็นแป้ง (seeds are made into flour in Java) เปลือกลำต้นใช้แก้โรคลมบ้าหมู (bark of trunk can be used to treat epilepsy) ยางของผลดิบมีพิษ (sap is poisonous) ต้นผลิตเรซินที่มีกลิ่น ดอกกลิ่นแรง

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
I am not sure if it is Mangifera odorata, found on wikipedia as follows:

"Mangifera odorata (commonly known as kwini,[3] kweni, kuweni, kuwini, or Saipan mango[2]) is a species of plant in the family Anacardiaceae. It is native to Guam, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam[1] and cultivated in Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Kwini or Mangifera odorata is a mango species that is native to tropical Asia. The fruit is light orange in colour and juicy sweet when ripe. The tree emits a fragrant resinous smell. The tree flowers throughout the year and the flowers too are strongly scented with its fragrance. The sap on unripe kwini fruits is poisonous. The fruits are spherical, almost round in shape, dark green to green when ripe."

I love this mango so much and just has a chance to got 2 graft trees and some seedings.
Many people don't like it because of its smell even it is so sweet and tasty.

Anyone else love this mango or growing it?

We cook it in curry or make chili salsa with it in Indonesia. I am growing one from seedling here in California. Hopefully it will bear fruit someday. It is now about 2 years in a pot, healthy and trouble free so far.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:39:46 AM »
Yes that looks like Kuini. I have 3 fruiting seedling trees now, they all have slightly different tastes. I think if picked and eaten a little bit unripe then they are more pleasant. If you wait for them to drop or ripen fully they get strong smell and turpentine taste.
Oscar

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:36:06 AM »
Kweni/kuini is not my favorite because of the machine oil smell but definitely a taste experience you will remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-kAKnfHHQ&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUvKuCPQviG3Pt9BHXA6jKbz&index=23&t=0s

Try it before planting a tree since you might love or hate it😉

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
Love and hate it.  I have found a few different aromas in malaysia and indonesia.  Most im not a fan.  But a few times have found ones smelling very clearly of pineapple, durian and another one cant put my finger on taste but lovely.  Others not so much.

The fiber is my biggest issue.  But there is a lot of potential in breeding for scent and flavor!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »
Love and hate it.  I have found a few different aromas in malaysia and indonesia.  Most im not a fan.  But a few times have found ones smelling very clearly of pineapple, durian and another one cant put my finger on taste but lovely.  Others not so much.

The fiber is my biggest issue.  But there is a lot of potential in breeding for scent and flavor!

Have you been able to obtain scions of selections you found superior?

I have found intense aromas reminiscent of durian in Maha Chanok, which also has a pleasing aroma that many have a hard time describing, but is similar to the aroma of parsnips (a root vegetable).

If you are able to obtain cuttings of those varieties, it may be worth experimenting with offspring.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 12:57:00 AM »
Unfortunately i havent had luck.  The one time i tried with cuts and seeds, customs nabbed them :(  but its a species with a pretty fantastic aroma profile to say the least.

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 03:44:14 AM »

Just picked a wild Kuini. In Singapore, it is quite common to find them being planted. The aroma is intense, too strong for my liking. It does taste like a durian/mango/pineapple cocktail, and I can rarely finish the entire fruit without feeling nauseated (I am a durian lover). The other thing I noticed about Kuini is the fruit tends to have lots of sap. I have read that the sap of kuini can be very harmful.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 12:06:58 AM »

Just picked a wild Kuini. In Singapore, it is quite common to find them being planted. The aroma is intense, too strong for my liking. It does taste like a durian/mango/pineapple cocktail, and I can rarely finish the entire fruit without feeling nauseated (I am a durian lover). The other thing I noticed about Kuini is the fruit tends to have lots of sap. I have read that the sap of kuini can be very harmful.
Don't find the slightest similarity in taste of kuini to durian. It's funny to me that people equate anything at all that has strong smell to a durian.
Oscar

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 12:45:42 AM »

Don't find the slightest similarity in taste of kuini to durian. It's funny to me that people equate anything at all that has strong smell to a durian.
Durio have such a wide array of flavors, even from the same fruit, I find it natural that some people can liken so many fruit to it.
Some aromatic compound in Durio can be overpoweringly strong as to make it difficult to appreciate the other flavors(especially the sulfurous ones), but I have noticed a similar flavor in some mangoes to Durio I have sampled. Maha Chanok is an example which comes to mind.

There is likely a single or numerous shared aromatic compounds between the two.
I would describe the scent in common as 'musky/deeply tropical'.

If I was in a more tropical setting I would like to compare durian with the knowledge of their cultivar. As it is, I don't know the ones I have tried, but they were very different.

3L

• Thailand, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 02:38:09 AM »

I have to admit that I was one of them. My husband love durian so much but he hate this fruit. I told him its smell just like durian. If you love durian, how come you hate it. He told me it has too strong smell not like durian at all. Well I still cannot understand though. I think if you like durian, you should like this kuini too.

Problem is I have a lot Kuini seedings (about 30 pcs from 2 different trees). I planted 2 and seems all people around me hate it. My husband didnt allow me to plant more because of its smell. I feel bad just to throw away all of those seedings.

lingkiin

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »

Where can I get this in Singapore?