Author Topic: Sharpening A Grafting Knife  (Read 2474 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Sharpening A Grafting Knife
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
I know we have discussed different brands of knives and how to sharpen them but I wanted to share my experience with these two products.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-SteeleX-D1130-Japanese-Waterstone/dp/B0000DD2C9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388084920&sr=8-3&keywords=wet+stones

http://www.stropman.com/HD-Compact-Leather-Strop-HD-Compact.htm

By using the two surfaces of the wet stone followed by the two sides of the strop (white and green polish) I have been able to EASILY bring the cutting edges of all grades of grafting knives to mirror surface, RAZOR sharp edges.  I brought an $8 eBay grafting knife edge to the point I could shave with it.  I had remembered Jeff H. mentioning the leather belt and couldn't get my edges past the "really sharp" point so I found the paddle strop above and bought it to stuff my Christmas stocking.   I am really impressed with the finished edge provided by this paddle.  I'm sure you could make one with a good quality cow hide. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:12:33 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Shapening A Grafting Knife
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
How does one use a stone and a strop? Where do you hold the blade to and do you hold it at an angle?  Do these items come with directions?  I've never used either of these before and was just trying to figure out the best way to keep my grafting knife sharp to this is a very timely post for me.  Please elaborate on the process
George

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:12:46 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Sharpening A Grafting Knife
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
I mostly use a water stone for sharpening, but all stones eventually develop a hollow in the center with a lot of use.  To achieve a razor sharp knife edge, I prefer the Scary Sharp method that uses sandpaper instead of a stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_sharp

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Sharpening A Grafting Knife
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Shapening A Grafting Knife
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
It takes quite a bit of practice to get it right.

Recently, I've gotten lazy and have just been using disposable razors with an xacto knife handle.

How does one use a stone and a strop? Where do you hold the blade to and do you hold it at an angle?  Do these items come with directions?  I've never used either of these before and was just trying to figure out the best way to keep my grafting knife sharp to this is a very timely post for me.  Please elaborate on the process
Jeff  :-)