Author Topic: Another experience with Top Tropicals Nursery  (Read 43240 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Re: Another bad experience with Top Tropicals Nursery
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »
They will get their products from many sources.  I will leave it at thst.  They sre basically plant brokers.

That is all I really need, someone to package up what I want and send it. So for me it works. Doesn't make sense for me to fly to Florida (around $1000 round trip, plus 12 hours each way) to buy a half dozen trees and mail them to myself. So if they found a niche, I will support it. As long as they continue to ship quality trees packaged as well as they have, they have my business.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2015, 05:18:01 PM »
I'm surprised that you would need to order from Top. It kind of seems odd, because there are many good sources in Florida? Can't you order from PIN and cut out the middle man, especially because you've a nursery?

I've ordered from PIN also. They don't have nearly quite as good as a selection as TT, especially on mangoes. Obviously TT is getting their mangoes from other sources besides PIN, i'm guessing probably Zill's.

They will get their products from many sources.  I will leave it at thst.  They sre basically plant brokers.

Yes that is correct, they basically are redistributing plants purchased from other nuseries. It doesn't seem like they grow anything themselves. This in itself is no crime. Loot at Amazon for example...doing same thing. Part of American business model. The problem comes in though that when you are not growing the plant yourself you may not know that much about it. I think this is what causes some of the misinformation and incorrect photos on their website.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
I think they monitor forums like these   Almost everytime we mention something rare here, I'll find them harboring it shortly after.  lol

i see they already have Myrciaria glomerata... :P

I wonder how long it will take them to figure out it's mislabeled?  and furthermore how long will it take their customer base?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »
More accurately, TopTropicals does not propagate their own plants. That's fine. A lot of places that do propagate do not sell to the public, or their customer relations are lacking, so TT effectively serves as a good retail front. You'll have a lot of difficulty finding other sources for most of the plants that TT sells, and I'm not talking about their fruit trees.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
Just looked at their website for the first time in years.  Wow...Rob was correct, shouldn't have done it.  Lots and lots of varieties listed but disappointed to see that only a fraction are actually available.  And the prices for many of these?!  Holy shit!  Personally, it would have to be a variety that I was desperate to have and no one else in the country had available before I would purchase a plant from them.  A seedling durian for $125?!!  The size of the plant they show available is the same size we can get from PR for $10.  If I lived anywhere in Florida, I would make a day trip to Excalibur, PJ's, or any number of member nurseries listed on this forum and spend the day there picking out my own plants instead.  Could visit other members in the area and just make a full day out of it.  Aside from California and Hawaii, sorry, I just don't see the attraction.  Just my small-minded opinion.  Glad I checked the site out...won't need to do that again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
Just looked at their website for the first time in years.  Wow...Rob was correct, shouldn't have done it.  Lots and lots of varieties listed but disappointed to see that only a fraction are actually available.  And the prices for many of these?!  Holy shit!  Personally, it would have to be a variety that I was desperate to have and no one else in the country had available before I would purchase a plant from them.  A seedling durian for $125?!!  The size of the plant they show available is the same size we can get from PR for $10.  If I lived anywhere in Florida, I would make a day trip to Excalibur, PJ's, or any number of member nurseries listed on this forum and spend the day there picking out my own plants instead.  Could visit other members in the area and just make a full day out of it.  Aside from California and Hawaii, sorry, I just don't see the attraction.  Just my small-minded opinion.  Glad I checked the site out...won't need to do that again.

Another forum member wrote me asking about that durian. They said TT says on their website that it's grafted? I doubt that is the case. Yes for a seedling that price would be way over the top. Dare i ask how much a grafted durian would be?  :o
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
Oh, it definitely said grafted when it was first posted. I have a screenshot of the page. I ordered it and asked if they could send a pic of the graft line. Then I was informed it was a mistake and it is not grafted. I told them I wasnt interested in a seedling and to just cancel the order.  Wasn't angry at that point, figured it was just a mistake on the website. But then they tell me a refund will take 7-10 business days. All they have to do is to go on PayPal and refund me. Would take about 60 seconds of their time. Getting pretty frustrated with them. If I don't have my refund by the end of the day on Monday I am just going to go ahead and do a chargeback on my credit card.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:53:44 PM by Jsvand5 »

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »
I had no problems getting a refund when one of my plants died after arrival. All vendors always state that refunds take a while to show up; it doesn't mean they take a while to process them, it means the bank takes a while. You're only supposed to do chargebacks if you tried to alleviate the situation with the vendor but they don't cooperate. Just be patient.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
A charge back takes longer than 7-10 days, and it is unlikely they will give you one if the vendor has stipulated a reasonable timeframe, and that timeframe has failed to pass.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
I had no problems getting a refund when one of my plants died after arrival. All vendors always state that refunds take a while to show up; it doesn't mean they take a while to process them, it means the bank takes a while. You're only supposed to do chargebacks if you tried to alleviate the situation with the vendor but they don't cooperate. Just be patient.

It's a little different when I am not returning something. My order was placed for about an hour before it was discovered that they did not have what they claimed. All they have to do is go on PayPal and click refund. And if I call the credit card company I will have my money back immediately. I had to do it a few years ago

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »

It's a little different when I am not returning something. My order was placed for about an hour before it was discovered that they did not have what they claimed. All they have to do is go on PayPal and click refund. And if I call the credit card company I will have my money back immediately. I had to do it a few years ago

Please be patient and wait the week. Don't do the chargeback. What happens is that Paypal penalizes the vendor when there is a chargeback an additional $20 to "research" it.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
They should be penalized.   They knowingly posted something for sale they didnt have. 
- Rob

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »
I did not return anything. I'm in California, they're in Florida, why would I ship back a dead tree? I informed them the tree was dead so they refunded me the amount I had paid for it (excluding shipping obviously). It had arrived alive but immediately began dying despite giving it the proper care.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
I did not return anything. I'm in California, they're in Florida, why would I ship back a dead tree? I informed them the tree was dead they refunded me the amount I had paid for it (excluding shipping obviously). It had arrived alive but immediately began dying despite giving it the proper care.

I believe what he is saying is that uou purchased something,  had a problem and requested a refund.   He made a purchase, order was never processed.  When he called less than an hour after making online payment to confirm what he was getting they informed him their post was bogus, as many of them are, he said he didnt want it and refund the money.   As this was never an actual purchase,  and paid via PayPal,  they should have processed an instant refund. 
- Rob

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
I made two purchases from tt.

1 from their retail nursery before it moved locations. A Tikal dapodilla and a pickering. Both are in ground and doing great. Supposedly (at least then) the website and the retail location were completely separate ops.

2nd purchase was.online. a Valencia pride mango and a Jamaican cherry/strawberry tree. The strawberry tree doing great. The vp was a keitt. I like Keitt better as it turns out so win win but I wouldn't order again given cheaper local alternatives.

come to think of it, I made a separate purchase at the retail nursery...

A Florida haas avocado and a Glenn mango.

The Haas has yet to set fruit but is growing well (though slow) it is flowering now and i expect this year it will set fruit. The Glenn died in a tropical storm band a year or two back (snapped at graft line) and was replaced by the pickering.

However in all instances, nurseries like fruitscape had far superior and far cheaper selections. Plus the dudes there are pretty informative and like working with customers.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:26:22 PM by demingcr »
- Colin

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2015, 10:37:53 PM »
Avocado trees are not self-fruitful; you need at least two trees, with one being an A type and another a B type.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »
Avocado trees are not self-fruitful; you need at least two trees, with one being an A type and another a B type.

I don't think this is strictly true as the flowers change sex during different hours of the day. Certainly, additional A-B varieties will improve pollination.

Regardless, the tree has set plenty of fruit and there are a lot of Avocado in a radius around my property it just hasn't held to maturity.  I may look into grafting a branch of variety onto the tree if it continues to languish.
- Colin

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »
I've only had one bad experience with TT but not really since they replace the wrong mango they initially send me. I only use them for mangos so I'm not interested in the other stuff they sell. I don't care about their definitions as long it's the correct variety they're advertise.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't feel comfortable with this? At what point does the line between useful information exchange and almost sabotaging a business gets crossed/blurred? It's not like we are talking about HD or Lowes here that can withstand (and also fight back online) against negative web portrayals..rather this is a smaller business in a very niche market and community that may be severely affected.

Also while I'm sure most of the intentions here are genuine to help members of the forum here, who really knows if there aren't direct competitors here with different aims.  I like to learn of the posters' good and bad experiences with nursuries and those experiences already come through where necessary within conversations on various thread topics. But a whole topic and title dedicated to bashing a business seems harsh (no matter how true).

I've never used TT, and have no horse in this race...but I'll tell you straight up that I've had pretty bad experiences with two of the more highly celebrated nursuries here on this forum..one in South Dade and one up in Western Palm Beach Co (and for Citrus another highly regarded nursery that ship from Tampa area)..but I chalk that up to noone is perfect ESPECIALLY operating in a space like this with living tropical trees,lots of them, shipping etc.

That's not to say they shouldn't be held to account for errors and poor service, and that as customers we should just shut up and take shoddy service, but there's no better way than this? I'm no legal expert, but I'd be careful if this was my website, as to where the line is about slander.

Just my 2 cents.....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:07:57 AM by Jani »
always longing for a JA Julie

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2015, 07:30:29 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't feel comfortable with this? At what point does the line between useful information exchange and almost sabotaging a business gets crossed/blurred? It's not like we are talking about HD or Lowes here that can withstand (and also fight back online) against negative web portrayals..rather this is a smaller business in a very niche market and community that may be severely affected.

Also while I'm sure most of the intentions here are genuine to help members of the forum here, who really knows if there aren't direct competitors here with different aims.  I like to learn of the posters' good and bad experiences with nursuries and those experiences already come through where necessary within conversations on various thread topics. But a whole topic and title dedicated to bashing a business seems harsh (no matter how true).

I've never used TT, and have no horse in this race...but I'll tell you straight up that I've had pretty bad experiences with two of the more highly celebrated nursuries here on this forum..one in South Dade and one up in Western Palm Beach Co (and for Citrus another highly regarded nursery that ship from Tampa area)..but I chalk that up to noone is perfect ESPECIALLY operating in a space like this with living tropical trees,lots of them, shipping etc.

That's not to say they shouldn't be held to account for errors and poor service, and that as customers we should just shut up and take shoddy service, but there's no better way than this? I'm no legal expert, but I'd be careful if this was my website, as to where the line is about slander.

Just my 2 cents.....

No and i even have no experience at all with any nursery from the US.

But on this forum slandering is quite common unfortunately. It seems that on the West coast lives another breed of people.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2015, 07:48:33 AM »

Just my 2 cents.....

Look at the definition of slander, it has to do with making false statements that are injurious to the other party. I really doubt that people here are making any false statements about their experiences. Also if you look through the whole thread you will see many people, including myself, have had very positive experience with TT. Subject heading of this thread is not reflective of that. I think only problem with this thread is that there might be some conflict of interest, especially with nurseryman in Florida giving opinion about another nursery in Florida. Obviously there could be some prejudiced opinion in that case. But we can all factor we is giving the opinions, whether they were a customer or not, whether they purchase something or not. As far as legality of such postings, look at Dave's Garden where nurseries are much more critically roasted. Don't think there is any legal problem with customers saying what their experiences were.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
I do have a problem with misinformation, though, as it spreads like wildfire with so little info available on the internet about certain species/cultivars, etc.  Plus, with limited space, I need to know that the golden sugar apple is actually just a pond apple.  That's all I care about...because one bit of misinformation could affect many down the line with budwood exchange and whatnot
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »
At what point does the line between useful information exchange and almost sabotaging a business gets crossed/blurred?
I personally know several of the members who have full blown nurseries, home nurseries, or work for nurseries...and I don't believe any would maliciously slander another company.  If they have posted critical comments, then I do believe they have the facts and experience to back up their claims.  TT has been taking shit from every tropical fruit forum I've ever been a part of, and it seems overwhelmingly obvious that the criticism is well-deserved.  I'm not saying that there hasn't been positive experiences, there plainly has been, but overall, it has been touted as a nursery to stay away from.  I was willing to give them a benefit of a possible turnaround in practices, but after viewing their website and further posts, I'm back to my original opinions and would never consider ordering from this nursery.  If you've had good luck, that's great, good for you.  I truly hope it continues for you.  But for those who have read all of the posts, seen reviews from other forums, if you place your first order from them and you get groin kicked for it, well, you were warned. 

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
@ Fruitlover, fair enough and I'm not in anyway making any definitive   statements of what's and who's  right or wrong about how this or any other nursery operates or anything legally. I have no horse on this race. Re: slander and the definition you posted..it seems like it hinges on what's knowingly false, while I like you think the overwhelming contributions by posters here on this thread are genuine or true..none of us can say all of it is..such is Internet anonymity. But I get what your saying..

I just think this is kinda  slippery especially in such a connected niche market and all things should be considered when they're threads like this that could potentially move the market and hurt what are likely family owned small businesses.

always longing for a JA Julie

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Jani - please keep in mind. TT is not a family owned nursery but a plant brokerage business.  I know for a fact they will take orders and then visit/contact other nurseries in an attempt to fulfill the order.  That is in no way the practice of a nursery.
- Rob