Author Topic: Another experience with Top Tropicals Nursery  (Read 43621 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Another bad experience with Top Tropicals Nursery
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
I'm surprised that you would need to order from Top. It kind of seems odd, because there are many good sources in Florida? Can't you order from PIN and cut out the middle man, especially because you've a nursery?

TT is a much better source than Pine Island and POG for those of us who live in CA and Hawaii... There's a  reason the you see a lot of Florida Mango Tree Purchases are through TT when looking at the purchase history on this forum coming out of CA and Hawaii...

correct me if I'm wrong***Their online Catalog has the largest  Tropical Fruit tree selection out all nurseriers on the Web. ***Unlike Pine Island, their Mango Trees are approved and certified for CA shipping and are not charged with a * $100.00 agricultural inspection tax. Literally a 40 dollar tree turns into 140 dollars without shippping. Sure in Florida Pine Island is probably the cream of the Crop brother.... but not in California in Hawaii. TT=Better selection, better prices, great shipped healthy tree, good customer service counting the last 2 years.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
The title of this thread needs to be changed. It is prejudicial against Top Tropicals. It gives readers the impression that all transactions with TT have been bad, when in reality it is a mix with many swearing by Top Tropicals

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »
The title of this thread needs to be changed. It is prejudicial against Top Tropicals. It gives readers the impression that all transactions with TT have been bad, when in reality it is a mix with many swearing by Top Tropicals

I agree, most of this thread has good reports about TT and this title definatley comes off as bashing them sending the wrong message.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
I agree with Clay. I have ordered at least a dozen or so mango trees from Top Tropicals and most have been healthy, some smaller than anticipated, some larger than anticipated. The one that arrived unhealthy they replaced without issues. Still waiting to harvest fruit to verify all of the varieties I bought, but I would still purchase mango trees from them without question. I have learned though, that it is better to stick with 7 gal size because 3 gal can vary so much, and when you get a really small one it does take so long to get to any substantial size. Definitely worth the extra 50 or 60 bucks for 7 gal to save the years of waiting, and chance of survival goes up greatly as well.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »
TT is  the  cream of the  crop brother  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »
Title should remain the same.  It is what prompted me to read the entire thread.

I have ordered from nurseries around the country, and none of them even come close to what I have experienced with Top Tropicals.  Their shipping method is by far the best there is, and very limited to no damage other than occasional defoliation of the more sensitive varieties.

Other nurseries ship trees loose and they arrive with broken and dangling branches (usually pulling down bark).  Last few trees I got from one place (with former good experiences), sent me a Bosch Pear that was left with zero of the 12 branches because they were all broken off and I had to plant a 7' stick.  The smaller plants were wrapped and breaking off around its bare roots.  Very unfortunate.  I told them about it, and they did not offer any form of resolution--nor did they even acknowledge what I told them.  Disappointing.

Not Top Tropicals.  Every communication whether phone or email has been quick and conclusive.  Very professional, and no trees have been mislabeled or diseased.

Top Tropicals also leaves your flowers and fruit in tact so you can choose what to cull.

I am happy happy with Top Tropicals.  Other vendors, I'm a bit more hesitant to purchase from due to other issues.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »
I had a bad experience with TT or it's just my luck. I ordered variegated plant from them last April and got just regular green leaf plant. I communicated with Heather by email for a few months. She said it was their mistake and she will try to find me that particular plant but it will take some time. Then she said she found one and still is waiting for it to arrive... Well, to make long story short she stopped responding to my emails. Today I sent another email and we will see what happens.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2015, 11:53:27 PM »
I made the comment of the needing to look to top because it surprised me that those in hawaii would need access to unusual varieties. It's more obvious after Oscar's comment, the unique varieties of florida are slower to get to hawaii, and top has a niche there.  It's just not the way I imagined it in my head because of the diversity in our most tropical state, hence the statement "that seems wrong somehow".

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2015, 12:34:32 AM »
I'm surprised that you would need to order from Top. It kind of seems odd, because there are many good sources in Florida? Can't you order from PIN and cut out the middle man, especially because you've a nursery?

I've ordered from PIN also. They don't have nearly quite as good as a selection as TT, especially on mangoes. Obviously TT is getting their mangoes from other sources besides PIN, i'm guessing probably Zill's.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
Been a hater of TT for so long, it's nice to hear some positive experiences for a change.  All the flak TT received from this forum and others had to have made its way back to them eventually.  Sounds like they have been turning things around for the better.  Hope it continues.  It's difficult wanting a plant and trusting someone you don't know to pick a good one out and get it to you safe and sound.  Good luck to all.  Maybe I might even look at their website again.  Baby steps.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »

I've ordered from PIN also. They don't have nearly quite as good as a selection as TT, especially on mangoes. Obviously TT is getting their mangoes from other sources besides PIN, i'm guessing probably Zill's.

They will get their products from many sources.  I will leave it at thst.  They sre basically plant brokers.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Been a hater of TT for so long, it's nice to hear some positive experiences for a change.  All the flak TT received from this forum and others had to have made its way back to them eventually.  Sounds like they have been turning things around for the better.  Hope it continues.  It's difficult wanting a plant and trusting someone you don't know to pick a good one out and get it to you safe and sound.  Good luck to all.  Maybe I might even look at their website again.  Baby steps.

You dont want to look at their website,  it may cause a regression in your feelings towards them.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »

PIN actually sources almost all their mangos from Zill HPP, with a few coming from Lara Farms. TT seems to look under every crack and crevice for anything 'rare'. I've even received a phone call from them looking for something and I don't whole sell trees.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
PIN actually sources almost all their mangos from Zill HPP, with a few coming from Lara Farms. TT seems to look under every crack and crevice for anything 'rare'. I've even received a phone call from them looking for something and I don't whole sell trees.

So TT is basically a nursery version of George? Every time he goes to Excalibur he checks Rob's cracks and crevices very carefully for anything rare.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:30 AM »

So TT is basically a nursery version of George? Every time he goes to Excalibur he checks Rob's cracks and crevices very carefully for anything rare.

Only after you have serviced him.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »
i've searched every crook and nanny for Myrciarias!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »
Anytime Sheehan speaks of nooks and crannies, I'd be wary!  But now we know where Rob keeps the rare, hard to find stuff!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »
If your looking for the Fruit Punch mango, I bet Top Tropicals will be the First *Online Nursery to have them...their slecetion is the best online period....These scavengers are looking High and low to increase their online catalog..

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
I think they monitor forums like these   Almost everytime we mention something rare here, I'll find them harboring it shortly after.  lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:04:01 PM by Viking Guy »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
I think they monitor forums like these   Almost everytime qe mention something rare here, I'll find them harboring it days shortly after.  lol

We know for fact they monitor this forum...probably are reading this thread right now.  They have stolen mango descrition and pictures from this forum n used them on their webpage...so yeah...the shadow lurkers.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
To show what a joke they are, for those familir with the fruit, this is their pathetically incorrect description of Coconut Cream (and their picture is just as bad).

EXTREMELY RARE AND HARD TO FIND! EXCLUSIVE OFFER.
Coconut Cream Mango - this variety is so exceptional, it is patented. Delicious, fabulous creamy coconut-mango flavor. Very large juicy fruit, and probably the most colorful! Brgiht red-orange-yellow. Flavor is exceptional with a coconut hint. Fiberless. Pulp is bright orange.

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:25 PM »
I suggest, if you think they are so great, to browse their mango varietiesthey list for sale and see how many pictures and descriptions are wrong.  How about the Dunkan?

Here is another good one (are they describibg the mango or the frozen desert product from the grocery store):

Orange Sherbet (Orange sorbet) is new variety producing medium size round bright yellow fruit when mature. Fruit weighs up to one pound. One of the best new varieties for backyard growing. Flesh has no fiber. Excellent sweet taste. Flavor is sweet citrus-orange and less lemony than Lemon Meringue mango. Tree is moderately vigorous. 

- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
To show what a joke they are, for those familir with the fruit, this is their pathetically incorrect description of Coconut Cream (and their picture is just as bad).

EXTREMELY RARE AND HARD TO FIND! EXCLUSIVE OFFER.
Coconut Cream Mango - this variety is so exceptional, it is patented. Delicious, fabulous creamy coconut-mango flavor. Very large juicy fruit, and probably the most colorful! Brgiht red-orange-yellow. Flavor is exceptional with a coconut hint. Fiberless. Pulp is bright orange.

lol...Yeah they sold me on that bullshit description when i bought it....Found out it in fact has barely in red at all....well at least my blind purchase turned out to be a good one based on the forum feedback on this forum... The bogus descriptions and the plagerism needs to stop forsure.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Hmmmm...of the hundreds i have picked, they have had no red coloration whatsoever.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
As for mangos, I've only ordered Nam Doc Mai from them.  Looks pretty legitimate far as I can tell.  As for descriptions, I never read or pay attention to those on seller websites--it's almost all fluff.  I go straight to other sources like this forum if it is something I haven't tried.  Perhaps they aren't the best, and I was unaware of the plagiarism, but I can't find a better source of tropical rares--especially ones like my wife wants for her aquatic/terr mini environments.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk