Author Topic: Cherimoya Flower Aroma vs. Fruit Flavor  (Read 1285 times)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Cherimoya Flower Aroma vs. Fruit Flavor
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:19:20 PM »
I was researching all the work that has gone into breeding mangoes, and Gary Zill's technique of crushing the leaves to determine sap aroma.

I have noticed when pollinating the cherimoyas that the flowers have distinctive aromas, and was wondering if it's just me, or do those aromas reflect the flavors of the picked fruit?

I'm thinking of using this method for selecting Annona on the basis of aroma.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Flower Aroma vs. Fruit Flavor
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 11:24:02 PM »
I feel like an issue with that is if the tree is old enough to have flowers, fruit is only a year or so off at most (maybe you don't let it set fruit the first time it flowers) and then you can just try the fruit. If all you need is a leaf smell, the iteration time is a lot faster - don't need to wait for flowers.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 11:52:47 PM »
I feel like an issue with that is if the tree is old enough to have flowers, fruit is only a year or so off at most (maybe you don't let it set fruit the first time it flowers) and then you can just try the fruit. If all you need is a leaf smell, the iteration time is a lot faster - don't need to wait for flowers.

My thought was to graft the saplings onto a mature tree to hasten maturity, which should get me to flowers sooner.

I have noticed that flowers when broken up have uniquely identifiable aroma characteristics, but only after they open as female. The aroma intensifies by male stage, but outside the active bloom period, I haven't been able to tell them apart by smell.

So I don't think that they have a sap component like mango unfortunately.

If I only have a limited space on adult rootstocks, that limits the selection process a bit, so I was thinking to speed up the selection any amount since they are so easy to graft when active.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:09:42 AM »
At first i thought the same way but when i compare an AP which have strong aromas with a cherimoya not so aromatic in bloom, the cherimoya are  superior in flavor.

What i notice is that if u use a superior cultivars pollen then the fruit is always better than the subpar pollens.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »
At first i thought the same way but when i compare an AP which have strong aromas with a cherimoya not so aromatic in bloom, the cherimoya are  superior in flavor.

What i notice is that if u use a superior cultivars pollen then the fruit is always better than the subpar pollens.

Is that the pollinated fruit which is better?

Or is it the fruit of the offspring?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
aroma of anona bloom has no bearing on flavor of fruit.