Author Topic: Lanternfly invasion attacking vineyards and stone fruits!  (Read 1172 times)

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
Lanternfly invasion attacking vineyards and stone fruits!
« on: August 21, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
A warmer winter means that this invasive species have new territories to conquer, and the ones without any natural predators. Birds and chickens don't like them... And now they're beginning to eat the US Agriculture. Let's hope these can be stopped.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-voracious-unstoppable-bug-is-killing-off-vineyards/?mbid=social_fb_onsiteshare&fbclid=IwAR1dHg8dzN_FQCdTwkOXE7HEOXOIEZ31Qx4AcCnT2AvS3Tx6NKNwtb0agVg&verso=true

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Lanternfly invasion attacking vineyards and stone fruits!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
The scientist lady doesnt know that the bug excrement makes one of the best honey,verry dark,expensive ,and its the only type of honey wich people that are allergic to pollen can eat( because its made of bug poo,it has no pollen in it).That why its called honey dew.
If the bees or ants collect the sap and excrements ,then it would not mold and it wont be a big damage to the treesand vines, wich is caused mainly by the mold.
She says ,,stinging insects ,, instead of bees  ;D.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:50 AM »
UC Riverside was awarded a grant to study a small Chinese wasp that may predate on it. Hopefully it can be nipped in the bud before it infests California.
https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/spotted-lanternfly-wine-california-420744/
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »
I live right in the middle of this.  They are very common to see, and fun to squish.   So far they do not seem to have caused any damage to my in-ground temperate fruit trees, nor my containerized citrus.  Or anything else for that matter.  They must be eating something, but they don't seem to be eating my fruit trees.  I don't know why, but I am happy about it.

They hop like grasshoppers, but they get tired after 2-3 hops.  So it is like playing hop-scotch going after them... hop, hop, hop, squish.

By the way, this is only happening in southeastern Pennsylvania, so you guys don't have to worry about it... yet.  I'm sure they will spread
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:02:57 PM by brian »