Author Topic: Button Mangosteen. (Cherapu) first flowers  (Read 2907 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Button Mangosteen. (Cherapu) first flowers
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
Oscar or any other experts out there I think this is a male tree right?   Looks like it has the pollen. 

Tree is about 5’ tall.   
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Button Mangosteen. (Cherapu) first flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:07:49 AM »
Yes, that's male flower. Usually male flowers appear first. In this photo you can see male with pollen on left and female with very sticky ovary on right:

Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15:45 AM »
wait... do trees have male and female flowers?  i thought the trees were strictly male or female...
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:17:37 AM »
wait... do trees have male and female flowers?  i thought the trees were strictly male or female...
Yes you are correct. If you look closely you can see i am holding the male flower in my hand next to a female tree. I did that for comparison, not to confuse you.
Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »
oh i see i see...  i had a fleeting moment of hope there haha..  ok i'll just wait around for the other trees i suppose. 

Oscar you remember selling me these trees 3 years ago??  haha   your babies are growing up over here in kona! 

Also my achacha tree is probably 10-11 feet tall now.. looks amazing i'm thinking it will probably fruit next year

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 05:31:46 AM »
oh i see i see...  i had a fleeting moment of hope there haha..  ok i'll just wait around for the other trees i suppose. 

Oscar you remember selling me these trees 3 years ago??  haha   your babies are growing up over here in kona! 

Also my achacha tree is probably 10-11 feet tall now.. looks amazing i'm thinking it will probably fruit next year
Great to hear your plants are doing so well. I think i recall my button mangosteen flowering two years with male flowers before i fianlly got a female to flower.
Oscar

Vegan Trader

• MIAMI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:36:05 PM »
did you ever get this to fruit? wondering if i should bother trying to grow it in South FL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
did you ever get this to fruit? wondering if i should bother trying to grow it in South FL
About same level of difficulty as mangosteen. If you can provide soil that is not limestone, protect from frost, and hurricanes, you could fruit it. They are dioecious, so good to have at least 3 plants for cross pollination.
Oscar

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 03:12:30 AM »
it has not fruited yet... i took off the shade cages around these trees a couple years ago and that was a bad move.. they stopped growing... i'll be putting shade cages back around them soon and hoping they take off again.. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »
I planted 6 of them and 2 turned out female and the males are kept short and trimmed down. They fruit pretty quickly compared to many Garcinias.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 04:12:50 AM »
Pete Kanaris latest video touring Zill's farm in Costa Rica certainly got me excited about this fruit.

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrHPJ0tGzU

go to Minute 18:00
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
Zill's orange crisp jackfruit in the video looks just the same as amber.

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 01:12:01 AM »
So far button mangosteen is my favorite garcinia. I think its way better than purple mangosteen.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 04:08:42 AM »
mike i got an "amber" jackfruit seedling tree from oscar and i can definitely vouch for extreme variation in seedlings!  not blaming anyone but this tree and the fruit is just barely average and looks NOTHING like the orange crisp jackfruit in that video hahaha...  i'm sure the original AMBER tree is awesome.   i'd love a grafted version.  But unfortunately mine didn't turn out like that.    such is life planting seedlings.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 06:26:38 AM »
I spread seeds of ambers around and heard that some turned out just like the parents and others didn't. I guess with some species like jacks that is a fact of life with seedlings.My big one is graftedbut me J33 seedling grew true. On button mangosteens, there are not many who would prefer them over mangosteens. I have both fruiting and know what I favour.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »
I'm waiting for Oscar to have these available so I can try also. 

BUTTON MANGOSTEEN (Cherapu)   Garcinia prainiana    click to add to cart $15    click to add to cart$29    click to add to cart$70    ---    ---    ---    Temporarily Out of Stock

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
I've been growing some cherapu here. They are definitely tropical trees and do not appreciate cold. I have not had one die on me yet though I do baby them. They appreciate shade or sheltered growing location.

They started flowering at 25gal size. Male trees seem to flower at earlier age than female trees.

Even though they are tropical it is a good candidate for container growing for zone pushers as they will flower/fruit at a much smaller tree size than purple mangosteen. You could grow them for many years up to 45 gallon trees if you dont mind moving them around or protecting them when needed.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 12:08:22 PM »

Great to hear your plants are doing so well. I think i recall my button mangosteen flowering two years with male flowers before i fianlly got a female to flower.

Exactly my experience. Males have been flowering for a couple years but now a female has finally revealed herself. Just pollinated her with some fresh male flower pollen. Now the wait...

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »
Congrats, I hope your hand pollination is successful!

Still no flowers on my trees, 4 of which are between 4ft and 5.5ft tall.

Exactly my experience. Males have been flowering for a couple years but now a female has finally revealed herself. Just pollinated her with some fresh male flower pollen. Now the wait...
Brandon

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2021, 12:39:23 PM »
Congrats, I hope your hand pollination is successful!

Still no flowers on my trees, 4 of which are between 4ft and 5.5ft tall.

Thanks, that's about the size the males started flowering so you are not far off. My female is more like 6ft. If your tree(s) end up females I could always give you male pollen. Obviously only female trees hold fruit.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2021, 02:10:10 PM »
It’s very easy to top work the male trees with female scions.
Peter