Author Topic: First Nam doc Mai Mango 2018  (Read 3290 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
First Nam doc Mai Mango 2018
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
Had a Nam doc Mai mango just now and wow almost couldn’t eat it of how sweet it was. But there was no other flavor just sweetness. Tasted almost like sugar cane juice. I didn’t want to throw it out so I poured lime juice and it sort of helped. What’s the trick on these? did I wait to long to eat it? Was it just a bad example?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:29:10 AM by Tiberivs »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: First Nam doc Mai 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »
From my tree in California, it was extremely sweet, like  ultra candy sweet, but had an extremely mild spice and acidity complex to it which made it an incredible mango for me.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Re: First Nam doc Mai 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
From my tree in California, it was extremely sweet, like  ultra candy sweet, but had an extremely mild spice and acidity complex to it which made it an incredible mango for me.

Yea that’s what I was missing some acidity/spice would have been great. Maybe tree is still establishing itself not the oldest tree either . Also the ones I have eaten from pine island nursery ( which is also where i bought tree and the reason I bought the tree) looked different; green on outside and ripe inside.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: First Nam doc Mai Mango 2018
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 07:44:35 AM »
I had the same problem.
Jeff (CookieMonster) wrote about the different states of eating a NDM.
Long story short, if you eat it when its less ripe it will have some acidity.

Although I have a tree and enjoy the mango, I don't enjoy the aroma, it's not bad but it doesn't smell like a mango at all.

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:40:28 AM »
Mine are green now, first ones for tree, when to pick?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »
Watermelon is enhanced by squeezing lime juice over it. Ate it this way yesterday.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
In general, the trick to adding flavor complexity (ie, acidity) to a climacteric fruit is to pick it mature green and ripen indoors. This holds true even for jackfruit -- which if left to ripen on the tree retain zero acidity and are a little bland for my taste. But, it does take some trial and error, as one needs to be able to judge when the fruit is ready to be picked.

Most novices (including myself when I was new at this) believe that best flavor and sugar development is obtained when mangoes are allowed to ripen on tree. This is not true. Moreover, if fruit is prone to internal break down (ie, jelly seed), picking early mitigates the issue.

The fruit in the picture probably would have been good 2 - 3 days prior to when the picture was taken. I typically eat mine when the skin is totally green still. It takes some experimentation / trial and error to find the right stage. But once you find it, NDM is a top tier mango.

When allowed to fully ripen, NDM has a bit of a "nutty" flavor, which can be a bit offputting to the typical North American consumer.

I've already harvested about 1/2 of my NDM tree. Cutting the fruit a little early causes it to retain acidity.
Jeff  :-)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
In general, the trick to adding flavor complexity (ie, acidity) to a climacteric fruit is to pick it mature green and ripen indoors. This holds true even for jackfruit -- which if left to ripen on the tree retain zero acidity and are a little bland for my taste. But, it does take some trial and error, as one needs to be able to judge when the fruit is ready to be picked.

Most novices (including myself when I was new at this) believe that best flavor and sugar development is obtained when mangoes are allowed to ripen on tree. This is not true. Moreover, if fruit is prone to internal break down (ie, jelly seed), picking early mitigates the issue.

The fruit in the picture probably would have been good 2 - 3 days prior to when the picture was taken. I typically eat mine when the skin is totally green still. It takes some experimentation / trial and error to find the right stage. But once you find it, NDM is a top tier mango.

When allowed to fully ripen, NDM has a bit of a "nutty" flavor, which can be a bit offputting to the typical North American consumer.

I've already harvested about 1/2 of my NDM tree. Cutting the fruit a little early causes it to retain acidity.

Thank you very much for these tips. I will definitely try different things till i figure out how to pick them.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
Watermelon is enhanced by squeezing lime juice over it. Ate it this way yesterday.

Zands you ever ate a top tier watermelon such as orangeglo or gold in gold, or any for that  matter? They're good as is!!!! grocery store garbage gets the lime and tajin added which is really good.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »

Zands you ever ate a top tier watermelon such as orangeglo or gold in gold, or any for that  matter? They're good as is!!!! grocery store garbage gets the lime and tajin added which is really good.
We only get generic seeded and unseeded watermelons that can take the Florida heat. If I went to whole foods I could probably find better watermelons like you mention. But they seem to be grown in cooler areas....so prices get jacked up. I will take a look at whole foods and Doris markets.

Try juicing the rinds with a lime and some ginger

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:19:47 AM »

How would you rate sugarbaby watermelon?

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 04:43:39 PM »

This was definitely the trick picked it green. Waited for it to get soft and feel ripe still was green in color maybe very small yellow hue but overall green. And WOW amazing mango best mango I’ve had all season, definitely what I remembered when I bought it. Nice sweet creamy taste. Thanks for the tip i almost wanted to remove the tree after a few bad experiences. But this tip saved it.