Author Topic: Please help read yellowing citrus leaves  (Read 2507 times)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Please help read yellowing citrus leaves
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »
The attached photo is of leaves collected from one of my in ground young Satsuma trees in Louisiana.      The yellow leaf issue started about 6-8 months ago, and may be getting worse.  The vast majority of the leaves are still like the green one shown in the photo, however there are some solid yellow leaves, and  several of the blotchy ones.      The yellow leaves easily detach from the tree.   I have CLM on all of my 9 in ground citrus trees, though it tends to be worse later in the year, I also just discovered Cottony Scale on another of my young Satsumas which is planted about 50 feet away from the one where I collected these leaves.  The other trees appear healthy other than some CLM  damaged leaves.

thanks for your help
Ike

Isaac-1

• View Profile
Re: Please help read yellowing citrus leaves
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »
Someone must have some thoughts

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
The only thing that I can think is a nitrogen deficiency, but the yellowing pattern is a little some what different than normal.  When the deficiency is less sever nitrogen deficiency shows up on the older leaves of the tree, while the newer leaves will still have some green.  In a sever case totally yellow leaves with no variation of color, or yellow-orange veins with a little green out on the sides.  What is your fertilizing schedule for this tree, and what do you use?

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
Isaac I ask you a maybe stupid question: are there other trees in the nearby whose roots can get to your satsuma?
I had exactly the same "weird" yellowing pattern on one of my pomelos a couple of year ago.
At last i found out it was rootbund by a thick net of feeding roots from a neighbour tree (a muntingia calabura) which were literally suffocating the pomelo interfering with its normal nutrients uptake
Lorenzo

Isaac-1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:11:59 AM »
The last year or so I was using Epsoma Citrus Tone to fertilize all my in ground citrus, feeding generally Feb - Aug every 6 weeks or so.  This spring I switched to a locally blended commercial fruit tree mix 18-9-11, which is much cheaper than the Epsoma Citrus Tone.  Also last year I did scatter some Azomite around all my fruit trees for the micro nutrients, and last year I added Epsom Salts around all my citrus, as my soil generally is extremely deficient in Magnesium, again same amount around the other younger citrus.  Soil testing this spring from the citrus area, still shows levels of Magnesium on the low side.   I have my citrus trees planted on a 25-30 foot spacing, arcing outward from my older mature citrus / fig tree, so root competition should not be a factor, also I have 3 other citrus trees planted about the same time on this arc (the one with the issue is 2nd from the end of the arc).

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
Hi everyone,
In my situation, I agree with the root bound nutrient competition theory behind why my orange bonsais are beginning to show yellowing of the bottom, older leaves. I also am thinking about giving them some 8-7-6 miracle grow liquid fertilizer in case they are nitrogen deficient. I also heard yellowing leaves could be a sign of too much nitrogen/fertilizer. I know this is not the problem with my trees because I have only fertilized them once in 3-4 years because they were repotted yearly and received new organic soil each time.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
Willpolinate, citrus use fertilizer in the ratio of 5-1-3 (5 parts N, to 1 part P, and 3 parts K).  Your fertilizer ratio of 8-7-6 supplies way too much P, especially for a tree being grown in a container.  Fertilizing your trees only once in  4 years is why your trees are so small.  A 4 year old container citrus tree should be 3 to 4+ feet high.  A citrus leaf has a life span of approximately 18 months then is discarded.  The bottom yellow leaf is just an old leaf that has lived out its life, and is going to be dropped by the tree. The leaf is yellowing because the tree is first reabsorpingg (saving) any nutrients before discarding it.  A symptom of supplying too much nitrogen is NOT yellow leaves
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:59:50 AM by Millet »

willpollinateforfood

• United States, Connecticut, USDA hardiness zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
I don't mind my bonsais being little considering my desperate lack of space. I appreciate the information! I will get the proper fertilizer and give everyone an update at the end of the season to see how they have improved. What a cool fact too, that citrus leaves have an 18 month lifespan. Is this the case for guavas too do you know?  Interestingly, quite a few websites claim yellowing leaf edges can be a sign of too much nitrogen, which is why I was troubleshooting.
Thank you for helping my trees and me!
Sincerely,
Kelly
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:53:38 PM by willpollinateforfood »