Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Clavija species (e.x. C.longifolia / mongon)  (Read 1285 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Jim West has a species on offer, Clavija longifolia (mongon) (primrose family, Primulaceae), which like many of his species is somewhat difficult to find personal accounts of people growing it  (although not as hard as Casearea (Caesarea?) quinduensis(?)!).

Does anyone have personal experience with C. longifolia?  From extensive googling, I've come up with: it is a very aesthetically attractive plant, with a palmlike growth habit (2-4m) but a rosette of "broadleaf"-style leaves at the top, and cauliflorous fruiting habit.  The orange fruit appear to have a flesh that looks sort of like orange sherbert or caramel in pictures, with a thin, probably easily removed rind. Photos of the plant show it frequently growing (and fruiting) in varying degrees of shade, including some surprisingly deep, although I've found one picture that shows it in at least mostly sun if not full sun. Productivity looks relatively good relative to the size of its crown and the environments it's growing in. I did find one report that scarified seeds soaked for 36 hours took up to 4 months to germinate, with a 2/3rds seedling death rate, and that they apparently like their growing media constantly moist.  It reportedly has a good smell, although it's not clear whether that's the flowers or some other part, and how much of the year that's present. Habitat: "tropical forests in the Andes between 500 and 2000 m from Venezuela to Bolivia "  IUCN status: Near Threatened.

Pictures:
Link

Anyone have anything to add about this species or genus?  The main thing I'm missing is fruit quality, and anything about cultivation difficulty/details, etc.  I know at least one person here has grown it (akanonui).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:24:50 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
I have this and second unknown species of Clavija from Ecuador. They grow slowly, but are very atractive and suitable for greenhouse or indoor culture. Likes halfshade and lot of water. Dont know anything about fruits because my plants are only 2 or 3 ft tall and not reached the flowering size.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I think there's very few people who've ever eaten fruits from this genus.  Which is a shame because it seemingly has a lot of nice properties, it'd be nice to know if the fruit is nice too.  Looks tasty! 

How old are yours?

... Oh hey, just found interesting info about at least one Clavija species!

http://andesandamazonfieldschool.com/Andes_and_Amazon_Field_School/Clavija.html

Thin, crispy skin the thickness of a tangerine rind around the pit.  Natives ( the Runa (Quichua-speaking) communities of the Pastaza and  Napo  headwater  valleys  in  the  Ecuadorian  Amazon) consider it a medicine; eating it supposedly suppresses hunger (believable) and attracts game (I have my doubts  ;)  ).  You supposedly suck on it while walking.  They call it Matiri and believe that a spirit dwells within the plant - the Matiri Runa, or Matiri Man.  There's a song that a woman harvesting the fruit is supposed to sing, which portrays the spirit of the plant as a hunter going on a bird hunt being gifted with a whole basketful of birds, which he gives to a woman to seduce her. It's to flatter the plant's spirit so that it will let her take its medicine when she collects the fruit.  The plant has to be willing to cooperate, or the fruit has no power.  The song is in effect how the fruits are actually used by (male) hunters, who often hunt for prey as gifts for women, but it's also a play on words, as the word for bird is often also used as slang for male genitalia.

More info in "The Religious Lives of Amazonian Plants":

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240764582_Editors'_Introduction_The_Religious_Lives_of_Amazonian_Plants

ED:  Lol, I'm reading this article right now and it's great.  I laughed out loud at the origin story for annato  (Bixis orellana )   ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:02:52 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Dang - this says they're dioecious:

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=10889

Annoyingly, the only dioecious genus in the family  :Þ

Elsewhere: the flower scent is said to be "fruity".  They're bee pollinated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk