Author Topic: Kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol)  (Read 24415 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Kepel (Stelechocarpus burahol)
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:53 AM »
http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/SpeciesInfo.asp?SpID=18096
The source of the kepels in pictures posted in another thread apparently are the defuct kamerunga research station.There is a reference in the above article that mentions 49% flesh and 62g to 105g weight or fruit so these are clearly a superior types.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »
http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/sea/Products/AFDbases/AF/asp/SpeciesInfo.asp?SpID=18096
The source of the kepels in pictures posted in another thread apparently are the defuct kamerunga research station.There is a reference in the above article that mentions 49% flesh and 62g to 105g weight or fruit so these are clearly a superior types.

It's another fruit that's been cultivated for a long time, so not surprising there's variation. My guess is that there's also a lot of variation from wild types to very domesticated ones in effect on body's uric acid content. It was and is still used as a medicinal so i'm sure they selected for best medical properties, not just for eating qualities.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »

4 years old kepel
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
Looks good Luc. BTW those kepel seeds you sent me a long time ago did all finely sprout. They just took a super long time.  :D
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
It looks like some kepel seeds sprout fast and others take a long time.I don't know if it is due to them having different levels of drying, the season they are produced or what.I should go back the the 'kepel park' and see how they are progressing.My info is that they were derived from a single ag. department trip to java in the 1970's when seeds of the 'best' ones were collected.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »
Looks good Luc. BTW those kepel seeds you sent me a long time ago did all finely sprout. They just took a super long time.  :D

Yes Oscar most of those I collected took about one year .

The first time I brought seeds back in 2004 I planted them all in one big nursery-bag , seeing nothing coming up after 6 months I checked and found those swollen roots , the seed itself was gone , so I thought some type of weed got in the bag and threw them all away...^%$&*

Since then I haven't lost a single one , they are tough....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
It looks like some kepel seeds sprout fast and others take a long time.I don't know if it is due to them having different levels of drying, the season they are produced or what.I should go back the the 'kepel park' and see how they are progressing.My info is that they were derived from a single ag. department trip to java in the 1970's when seeds of the 'best' ones were collected.

Yes. The kepel seeds i got from another source other than Luc sprouted right away.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Hi,

Fruit tree seeds that have very deep tap root's and which take very long to sprout, should be planted in situ with a cage on top, to keep the critters at bay ;) The tap root will grow deep and freely with no transplantation shock ;) You guy's are crying about a 6 months wait for them to sprout! What about Bacuri-Platonia insignis, which takes up to 3 years to sprout or more, but the root's are already several meters deep :o Embrapa turn the tables on Bacuri ;D ;D ;D They let the tap root to grow 3-4 months, then they decapitate and remove the seed and in few weeks to a month or so, the plant will regenerate a sprout. this method take 12 months for the seedling to be ready to be planted in it's permanent location...the old way, will take up to 3 years for the tree to be ready for planting :o Bacuri from seed, takes a decade or less to fruit!

Here's how Embrapa, germinates Bacuri 8)

Dia de Campo na TV - Propagação de fruteiras da Amazônia

Dia de Campo na TV - Propagação de fruteiras da Amazônia - parte 2

Here's some vids on the fruit :)

A frutificação do bacurizeiro - Globo Rural - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental

DCTV (parte I) - Manejo de Bacurizal Nativo - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental

DCTV (parte II) - Manejo de Bacurizal Nativo - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental.mp4
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:05:33 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »
Does anyone know the soil requirements and cold tolerance on a Keppel? I am planning on getting one, but I am not sure if they can tolerate my soil unedited.

I live in the Redlands in Miami. My land has less than foot of natural soil before hitting a solid layer of limestone rock. All my planting is done by breaking and crushing the rock with a backhoe and then back filling with the soil and ground up rock. As a result my soil is quite alkaline no matter what I do.

Also normally temperatures in the 30's are a rare occurrence in South Florida, but we are going on 3 years straight of light frosts. All the Soursops in neighborhood have been killed off by the cold and there were a lot of big ones.

Does anyone know if a Keppel can handle alkaline soil short dips into the 30's?
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
David, if soursops don't make it there i really doubt you could get kepel to survive. Whitman in his book says kepels  "are more subject to cold injury than some Annonas." They have a deep taproot so would have a hard time also with your alkaline soils. Don't know how cold hardy they are exactly. Whitman got a tree to fruit under very protected situation at Bal Harbour. He says the tree later died due to phytophora fungus. I believe he is the only one that fruited kepel succesfully in Florida?
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
Hi,

Fruit tree seeds that have very deep tap root's and which take very long to sprout, should be planted in situ with a cage on top, to keep the critters at bay ;) The tap root will grow deep and freely with no transplantation shock ;) You guy's are crying about a 6 months wait for them to sprout! What about Bacuri-Platonia insignis, which takes up to 3 years to sprout or more, but the root's are already several meters deep :o Embrapa turn the tables on Bacuri ;D ;D ;D They let the tap root to grow 3-4 months, then they decapitate and remove the seed and in few weeks to a month or so, the plant will regenerate a sprout. this method take 12 months for the seedling to be ready to be planted in it's permanent location...the old way, will take up to 3 years for the tree to be ready for planting :o Bacuri from seed, takes a decade or less to fruit!

Here's how Embrapa, germinates Bacuri 8)

Dia de Campo na TV - Propagação de fruteiras da Amazônia

Dia de Campo na TV - Propagação de fruteiras da Amazônia - parte 2

Here's some vids on the fruit :)

A frutificação do bacurizeiro - Globo Rural - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental

DCTV (parte I) - Manejo de Bacurizal Nativo - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental

DCTV (parte II) - Manejo de Bacurizal Nativo - Embrapa Amazônia Oriental.mp4

Jackfruitwhisperer , this post , in my humble opinion , really deserves his own tread , it will get lost in the kepel's . Specially since it is a great find , all these video's ( thank you ) and the fact that I have Platonia seeds on their way.... I am really excited about that !!! This fruit was the only one left on my list as a ' Must Have '
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »
It been three cold years. I has been the oddest thing. Before 2008-2009 there hadn't been a frost in my area for 40 yrs and the last one  before that had been 40 yrs earlier.

Also I don't know if you have been to the Redland, its a miracle anything grows there. Opening even the smallest hole requires a backhoe
- David Antonio Garcia

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »

Different germinate times could be related to climatic factors or interspecies variation, but has anyone done a proper identification - there are more than one species in that genus.?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda