Author Topic: Longan keep or cut down?  (Read 1326 times)

Mango Maniac

• Sarasota, Fl Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Longan keep or cut down?
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »
I purchased a Longan a couple of years ago on Craigslist an unknown variety. It has grown like a weed. Last year it fruited, but tiny fruit and mostly seed. This year it is fruiting less and still very small fruit. It has grown from 3 feet to 15 feet in about 4 years, should I keep it or cut it down? Will it ever bear better fruit?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:27:50 AM by Mango Maniac »
Need to find room for my next mango tree!
Mangos:  Valencia Pride, Kent, Nam Doc Mai, Cogshall.  Lychee: Sweetheart, Emperor, Mauritius, Brewster.
Longan

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Longan keep or cut down?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »
Maybe you could graft a more productive variety on the tree.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »
Right now fruit tree and generals are starting to get kind of hard to get with this coronavirus because people are buying a lot more than normal
So I would most likely try to graph a different variety or find a different one to replace it first and then cut other one
And last thing is that a lot grower with longan tree don't know what variety they may have

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »
you can thin the fruit, not that you have a lot, but it may increase the size of your remaining fruit. If you’re watering and fertilizing regularly and it’s still not producing, a drought period prior to flowering may help.

It could be that you got a seedling. In that case, you may want to top work the tree with a more productive variety.

Simon

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 03:07:37 PM »
Is there more then one panicle of fruit on a branch?
I have a fortune eye longan and the fruit stayed fairly small last year and this year
I cut all the double and triple panicles off and left one panicle per
branch. I actually cut a bunch off that were double and a few triples. Hoping this
makes a difference. It sounds like you don't have a seedling by your description
of growth and how early it's fruiting? I really like longans and they come after lychee
season.

Mango Maniac

• Sarasota, Fl Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »
I only had 2 panicles on the whole tree with very small fruits. My first taste of longan was that it was almost as good as lychee. My second last year from my tree was little fruit large seed but good flavor. My wife bought some local longan from our farm market and the taste was not as sweet as I remember and a bit woodsy. My tree is growing like a weed, if I don't take it down by next year I'll have to hire it out. Should I give it one more season
Need to find room for my next mango tree!
Mangos:  Valencia Pride, Kent, Nam Doc Mai, Cogshall.  Lychee: Sweetheart, Emperor, Mauritius, Brewster.
Longan

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
if I don't take it down by next year I'll have to hire it out.
Sounds like you don't have a gas chainsaw & it does take a little practice... But electric chainsaws are much easier to start & operate and would easily cut down this tree by what I've heard... Price is cheaper for electric also with many to choose from Big Box Stores or Amazon and not a bad deal as chains by themselves are usually $20 and total electric with chain is only like $54 for many... Ex.https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-16-in-12-Amp-Electric-Chainsaw-4017/207041224?mtc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_Brand-G-Multi-NA-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-Catchall_PLA-71700000014585962-58700001236285396-92700010802552445&gclid=CjwKCAjwltH3BRB6EiwAhj0IUNVLubNKLxgvuBm3xaiGAbda186zNMLNd0YIMSPN62AzdA-FzlEyHBoCyP8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 12:39:55 AM »

My longan is coming down soon, initially the fruit was large but they have gotten progressively smaller over the years.  No patience for coddling, buh-bye...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk