Author Topic: Malika mango  (Read 1812 times)

slavyd

• North Port
    • View Profile
Malika mango
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:57:34 AM »
Mango fruit still on the tree very little yellow on very tip but when I picked it up and open it already started spoiling around the seed, does anyone know what could be the problem because top of the fruit is still more white and hard, all fruits so far I picked up had that same light  brownish around pit mushy spoiled flesh, please dont tell me I harvested it to soon or to late because there is no sign that its to late because all I harvested were started yellowing very little bottom half is ready to pick but top could be more on the tree because its still hard, I will add picture next I pick one and open.   Here I am adding picture of one that I just picked of the tree and the same one that has started breaking down at the tip of pit.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:49:45 AM by slavyd »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Malika mango
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:42:15 AM »
Sounds like internal breakdown, usually due to a nutrient deficiency, probably calcium.  Do I get a star, guys?  Welcome to our world, slavyd.  You can spread some pelletized gypsum around your tree for calcium.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:06:31 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 09:55:46 AM »
Mango fruit still on the tree very little yellow on very tip but when I picked it up and open it already started spoiling around the seed, does anyone know what could be the problem because top of the fruit is still more white and hard, all fruits so far I picked up had that same light  brownish around pit mushy spoiled flesh, please dont tell me I harvested it to soon or to late because there is no sign that its to late because all I harvested were started yellowing very little bottom half is ready to pick but top could be more on the tree because its still hard, I will add picture next I pick one and open.

I find it you wait until you see yellow on Malika or it's parent Neelam you get uneven ripening. Most of the Indian mangos should be picked mature green. It's easier said than done though.

As for the brown around the seed post a picture but it might be internal breakdown as John said

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:04:40 AM »
For Malika, I like to wait until I see one or two decent sized mangos with that yellowing/ripening, then I pick a ton of mature sized green mangos.  That has always worked for me for peak flavor. But of course you have to sacrifice a few for the greater good.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:58:07 PM »
I am closer to you in 9b and my malikas were done by the end of June?
I had a couple blooms and was eating them by the first of June
I watched a good video by a forum member sulcatagrove and he
said pick them green when the shoulders are full and wrap in
newspaper. It worked perfect but I waited until they were 80%
yellow and they were very sweet. I cut one open more green but
soft and it was more tangy. I need more practice.  I only had about 20
this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyR1E-Nh5xM

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
To me a box of Malika are like a box of chocolates in the Forrest Gump movie..... From one fruit to the other in the box, I never know what it will taste like till it's opened.......

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:38:03 AM »
Mallika can get nasty internal breakdown and see huge swings in quality year to year or even in the same season.

A properly ripened one is fantastic, with a lot of citrus. Very similar to Lemon Zest in flavor and every bit as good. Unfortunately these can be the exception in a “bad year”. Last year (2019) the Mallika were excellent. This year there was enough quality issues that we actually stopped selling them.

The best ones will ripen over the course of a week. Tree ripened ones are generally trash, and if they take 10  days to ripen or whatever they’re mealy and taste of carrot/vegetable.

They’re also prone to MBBS.

slavyd

• North Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
I already posted pictures if you please would look at them and let me know

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
I already posted pictures if you please would look at them and let me know
Johnb51 gave a reply in post #1....

I have seen this occur most commonly in young trees and the same trees in my yard usually don't have it or have less of it the next year when the tree is bigger and older with a bigger root system also to acquire more minerals etc. from a larger area.

I have 3 Mallika trees that were planted over 5 years ago. Unlike Squams experience in this years crop, my crop has tasted better than any of the previous years. The first 2 years of production I did not like them but one of my family members has always enjoyed them... This year I like them a lot. I currently have about 7 in the house in refrigerator to save them as I enjoy them.

slavyd

• North Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
Sounds like internal breakdown, usually due to a nutrient deficiency, probably calcium.  Do I get a star, guys?  Welcome to our world, slavyd.  You can spread some pelletized gypsum around your tree for calcium.

Thank you very much, I did like you suggested and every one was good no one had any internal breakdown again thank you and keep good work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk