Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 389199 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas about how big a Coronata v restinga might get? I'm trying to figure out how close I can plant to a retaining wall?
Thanks!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2015, 10:06:05 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas about how big a Coronata v restinga might get? I'm trying to figure out how close I can plant to a retaining wall?
Thanks!

BMc,

I have seen pics of a mature tree, it seems to be quite compact compared to most M. coronata varieties I've seen...supposedly it stays about 2-3m tall...but I wouldn't be surprised if it can grow slightly taller than this.

I'm guessing it's safe to plant about 3-4 ft away at the closest, depending on how you prune the tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #502 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »
Adam, the grafted Grimal I got from you 2 years ago as a 1gal just pushed its first flower. 

On your grafted trees, have you ever seen the sabara rootstock flower?  I see some protrusions that look like the root stock might put out some leaves and I have a red jabo that is flowering at soil level, even from a sucker I had cut a few inches from the truck, and it had me wondering if you have ever had the rootstock flower.

Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #503 on: January 25, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »
Cbss,

Looking real good!

I've seen the rootstocks flower for sure (not here at my farm, but at my friends house)

Believe it or not, most of the rootstocks I've grafted onto are less than 6yrs old, so theyre not quite ready to flower....but in another 3-4 yrs I'm guessing you could get some Sabara fruits from the rootstock

Btw your tree looks great....I see no rust on the leaves...and looks like your tree has been kept in a very bright location...I can tell by how the leaves are folded up...I bet this helped your tree fruit quicker!  Grimal is a really tough tree, being able to withstand more drought than sabara, handles city water better than sabara, and can endure the baking heat of FL without showing leaf burn.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #504 on: January 27, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »
cbss_daviefl,

how much you do want for that grafted Grimal?  :P

Adam, the grafted Grimal I got from you 2 years ago as a 1gal just pushed its first flower. 

On your grafted trees, have you ever seen the sabara rootstock flower?  I see some protrusions that look like the root stock might put out some leaves and I have a red jabo that is flowering at soil level, even from a sucker I had cut a few inches from the truck, and it had me wondering if you have ever had the rootstock flower.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:42 AM »
cbss_daviefl,

how much you do want for that grafted Grimal?  :P

Hahaha  Full circle.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #506 on: February 10, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »
Today I can finally say I have eaten the fruit from a jaboticaba tree I planted from seed.  I purchased the red jaboticaba seeds from Fruit Lovers on 5/29/2012 and a mere 2 years, 8 months, and 12 days later, I am enjoying the fruits of my labor.  Gone are the decade long waits, these are wondrous times we live in!

Brandon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 10, 2015, 09:21:32 PM »
cbss,

Congrats on the fruit!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #508 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
Nice job!

The red jabo can fruit in about 2.5yrs if you give it optimal care, and provided you don't get unlucky with a late bloomer ...

I just tell people 3-5 yrs to be safe.

How much are u selling that tree for ?  $125?  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 10, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
Today I can finally say I have eaten the fruit from a jaboticaba tree I planted from seed.  I purchased the red jaboticaba seeds from Fruit Lovers on 5/29/2012 and a mere 2 years, 8 months, and 12 days later, I am enjoying the fruits of my labor.  Gone are the decade long waits, these are wondrous times we live in!

congrats, Brandon!!!  How was the fruit?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #510 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
My preecccciiiioooouussss! Definitely priceless and not for sale!  I only have 4 small fruiting reds and the grimal and there are 3 jabo lovers in this house. No fruiting jabo goes up for sale until I have enough to make jam! Time to step them up from 5s and 7s to 15gals
Brandon

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 10, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
Count me in.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
My preecccciiiioooouussss! Definitely priceless and not for sale!  I only have 4 small fruiting reds and the grimal and there are 3 jabo lovers in this house. No fruiting jabo goes up for sale until I have enough to make jam! Time to step them up from 5s and 7s to 15gals

Hahaha good answer!

But just so u know, once they have fruit I don't sell them for less than $100-125!

(Also, have you pruned the tree at all?  I see one branch down low that could go...I'm like obsessive compulsive when it comes to pruning red jabos)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 10, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
I had a red jabo and stupidly placed the tree where I was going to plant it, then forgot about it for a few days.  It was totally dried out, but a few leaves are still hanging in there.  I have since potted it up, watered it thoroughly and often, and put it in shade to grow, plus hit it with a chelated fe micronutrient drench. 

Any idea if these trees have 9 lives?  I have had good luck with other fruit trees with 2 lives, so I am hoping it will be a survivor.

~Jeff

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 10, 2015, 11:32:52 PM »
Had my first Rollinia after reading a post by ASaffron and seeing his video on youtube about Rollinia. And coincidentally bumped into Jabos there too by coincidence, in the back of my mind I kept saying "I know I have seen people speak of these on the Fruit forum" After I tasted the first one I KNEW why. Delicious!!!!! And I am afraid I have tasted the drug, and was on my way to Pine Island near by, but showed a little restrain lol They had regular ones and red ones for sale, said the red ones should fruit in 1-2 years. Figured do so more research before deciding. And seeing now how many possible varieties, should have asked which they had. Once the guy their told me how long they took to fruit my heart sank. BUT now seeing about these reds, my heart is a little happy again!!!!! Must find an older fruit in the next year or 2 Jabo!!!! Who do I gotta talk too!!!??? LOL

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #515 on: February 10, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
I trimmed them around 4 months ago probably not enough.  I looked at them this morning and noticed some of the root suckers I had trimmed were now branching out like a tipped mango.  I am sure you would be disgusted by their wildness.  I will get to pruning them eventually.  Root suckers are out of control!

Jeff, chances are it can come back.  One of my crowns died back  to a few leaves and is doing OK now.

Fisherking, there are plenty of red jabos available.  Benders grove has them most of the time or can get them in 3 and 7 gal size. 7 gals are fruiting size and 3 gals are a year or so.  I got 1 gals for sale too.
Brandon

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 10, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
I will be checking out Benders this week for avocado, great news that he usually has. Hope I get lucky.  Another question, I have read here they seem to like water, but how bout sun? Does it have to have 100% sun or will it do ok half day sun? Morning sun vs afternoon sun? I get about 4-6 hours in the front yard depending on time of year from sunrise to about 11am. Backyard gets direct sun about 12 till sundown. I will probably end up cutting down a black olive tree in front of my house (not sure I  have the heart to do it as it is older than me) and that would open a lot more room for trees.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #517 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:43 AM »
With jabos, find a low spot that floods and gets sun part of the day and plant it there.  The more sun the better but best to fill the low flood zones since most trees don't like it.

I don't like cutting down trees either but you will feel much better about the death of the black olive tree when 4 fruit trees have taken its place.  ;D
Brandon

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 11, 2015, 01:05:48 AM »
Cutting down that big tree and taking out the roots is gonna cost  a pretty penny lol.  I really don't have any low flooding areas on my property as my house is somewhat on a hill.  Will they grow well in containers? I guess I am going to have to move around some of my trees after this fruiting season. Maybe 2 sugar apples I have that are in prime sun real estate. Although I do have an area under a large coconut tree that gets good sun, but just scared of one of those palm fronds crushing anything I plant under it LOL

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #519 on: February 11, 2015, 01:13:26 AM »
Cutting down that big tree and taking out the roots is gonna cost  a pretty penny lol.  I really don't have any low flooding areas on my property as my house is somewhat on a hill.  Will they grow well in containers? I guess I am going to have to move around some of my trees after this fruiting season. Maybe 2 sugar apples I have that are in prime sun real estate. Although I do have an area under a large coconut tree that gets good sun, but just scared of one of those palm fronds crushing anything I plant under it LOL

Yep red jabo is dwarfish and does will in a pot
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »
Thanks Adam!  So now to find a Red Jabo local that is a few years in, a Rollinia, and an oro negro avocado (easiest of the three), no biggie. Might be going to Ocala beginning of March for an archery tournament, and to visit a friend that use to run a blueberry farm in Polk County, if I have time might hit you up. You think a large Jabo would do good in the back of a pick up on the highway for 3 hours lol?

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 11, 2015, 02:32:05 AM »
There's a jaboticaba at broward college that's been there since the 70s or 80s (whenever they had the tropical fruit program) it's fruit are pretty huge, almost plum sized

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #522 on: February 11, 2015, 05:33:49 AM »
Well, I have a grafted jaboticaba coroada da restinga which produced his first eight fruits this year. I also have a sabará, which produced around 30 fruits this year, and a hybrid which produced just one fruit.  ;D Coroada da restinga has the small seeds between the 3 species, and also have a good amount of pulp and sweet flavor, being the bigger fruit 3 centimeters in diameter. Almost forgot...I also have a blue jaboticaba, but this one will take sometime to fruit.
By other side, I have a white jaboticaba, 2,20 meters tall, which is flowering like crazy since the middle of january, but she don´t hold the fruits. This one was bought last year by a low price (the seller insisted it was a goiaba...) and I don´t know the tree´s age or if this is the first time she flowers...

In time: Coroada, Hybrid, Blue and White jabos are in containers, and sabará is in the soil. Later, I´ll post photos.

Any ideas why the white isn´t holding their fruits? There is something I can do to "help" her?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:38:17 AM by Cassio »

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
Where on Broward central campus? PlEASE give me coordinates lol I am currently enrolled for my second Bachelors at BC, and would love to take a stroll during study breaks and have a snack. I am sure the students there just walk past it oblivious.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »
Where on Broward central campus? PlEASE give me coordinates lol I am currently enrolled for my second Bachelors at BC, and would love to take a stroll during study breaks and have a snack. I am sure the students there just walk past it oblivious.

I have visions of you "going to class" and coming home with fruit stains on all over, and having never made it to class.   ;D
~Jeff