Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387266 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #675 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
Dom,

No worries...it would have been almost impossible to find the info by searching the forum.

Aside from bird netting, I've also used tin foil to cover the fruiting branches (wrapping them up like a burrito)

It looks like a space alien is protecting your fruits...I'm not sure if the homeowners association will be keen on this...but I'm certain the jaboticaba consuming wildlife is not!

Thanks, sorry if that had been discussed earlier in the thread and I missed it. I'm generally also in favor of the more bountiful option, but Jabomano talking about having one of his jabos stripped bare in a day when he forgot the bird netting had me thinking.

Re:pruning, I was looking at the very unpruned jaboticaba outside of ECHO earlier today, and I was wondering if leaving one more bushy might help to keep bird predation down. Thoughts?

definitely.

we've touched on this subject before...

it will make your fruit vulnerable, by virtue of them being exposed more, and also the tree will have much more fruit to be seen, and stolen, because it's so much more productive!

When jaboticabas are happy they produce incredibly so much fruit that everyone has more than enough, both people and animals. Birds will tend to eat the ones at the top and people the ones at the bottom. And even so the ground will still be carpeted in fruits. What is the good of birds not stealing anything if the tree also hardly produces anything? I'd rather go with plan B: Bountiful.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »

I have a Cauliflora (or Sabra?) from PIN
i had pruned the bottom and figured i should try to root it.

its been in water for almost 3 months.
no roots yet, but this is its second set of leaves (LOL)

any ideas ?

I cut the leaves off the first time.
this time, there were 6, and i left 2 on it. a small one, and
cut the remaining one in half.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
blue jabo in pics 1 & 2 (m vexator)

pic 3 is (Sabara)( M. jaboticaba) always sold mislabeled as M. cauliflora, which I can assure you, it is NOT

pic4, is the Hybrid Red Jaboticaba, aka Precoce, or Hibrida...looks like maybe yours got dry? or maybe too much fert? or high pH city water?

it will bounce back don't worry..just keep it watered, and don't over fertilize it..they can die from too much Nitrogen

how does one tell the difference between the hybrid red from a sabara? Do you have a side by side leaf pics to tell the difference or is it also something with the trunk color?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #678 on: March 24, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
blue jabo in pics 1 & 2 (m vexator)

pic 3 is (Sabara)( M. jaboticaba) always sold mislabeled as M. cauliflora, which I can assure you, it is NOT

pic4, is the Hybrid Red Jaboticaba, aka Precoce, or Hibrida...looks like maybe yours got dry? or maybe too much fert? or high pH city water?

it will bounce back don't worry..just keep it watered, and don't over fertilize it..they can die from too much Nitrogen

how does one tell the difference between the hybrid red from a sabara? Do you have a side by side leaf pics to tell the difference or is it also something with the trunk color?
red leaf is larger, with more impressed nerves..also seems a lighter shade of green than sabara...and is a shorter tree than sabara, that suckers more.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 24, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
still tough for me to differentiate from images I looked through this thread. I have 3 Jabos that I got and were labeled as M.Cauliflora from PIN. Which I believe are just regular Sabaras. Here's some pics.

This one was planted in ground a year ago and started to flush out new bigger leaves this February since I started to foliar feed it.

These other two are relatively new. Just got them about 3 months ago and planted them in ground right away. They flushed new leaves a couple weeks ago but are about the same size as the old leaves they have.

Here's a comparison on the leaf size. Left and middle are from the two new trees, and the right big leaf is from the one I got a year ago.

What do you think? are all three just regular sabaras?

I'd like to know because the guy I buy these from he gets these from PIN and he supposedly have one red jabo in hand and I want to be able to ID it from the leaves if it is a red one or not. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 24, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »

I have a Cauliflora (or Sabra?) from PIN
i had pruned the bottom and figured i should try to root it.

its been in water for almost 3 months.
no roots yet, but this is its second set of leaves (LOL)

any ideas ?

I cut the leaves off the first time.
this time, there were 6, and i left 2 on it. a small one, and
cut the remaining one in half.

That is interesting. I had an extra Grimald scion several months ago and wrapped the top half in buddy tape and stuck it in the dirt half buried in a pot with a Sabara. It never pushed leaves or rooted and eventually rotted. I thought it was worth a try.
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #682 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »
although it will push leaves and remain alive...it won't form roots just being submerged in water...you must have the right medium to root cuttings.

cuttings are easy to root, they just take forever it seems.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »
Hooray cocktail jabo? I think it was about 3-4wks ago that I made my second ever attempt at grafting anything, and it is looking like I might be able to declare victory! It's a grimal cutting cleft grafted on to one of our smaller sabaras.

Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #684 on: March 24, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Hooray cocktail jabo? I think it was about 3-4wks ago that I made my second ever attempt at grafting anything, and it is looking like I might be able to declare victory! It's a grimal cutting cleft grafted on to one of our smaller sabaras.

it's that easy!  now you have the power to collect more jaboticabas than the average Joe....without grafting, your collection would be limited!

nice work!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »

Nice job! I have a bunch of Sabara seedlings getting thick enough to graft , thanks for the inspiration.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 25, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
Yeah, go get em!

Nice job! I have a bunch of Sabara seedlings getting thick enough to graft , thanks for the inspiration.
Dom

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 26, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
So...I had the distinct pleasure to meet Adam and hear his speech at the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club last night! 

what a great and entertaining speaker he is.  Topic was grafting Jaboticaba.  I have no interest in grafting but was entertained to see how to do it.  Adam is funny in real life just like he is on this forum!   He has reached Rock-Star level in the Tropical Fruit Tree world!  Rock on Adam!  Thanks for the speech and for the trees.  Enjoyed it. 

...also, picked up a grimal, yellow, and won the door prize for another jaboticaba!  Woot! 

#officialmemberJaboticabaholicsAnonymous

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #688 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
haha!

thanks for the kind words Dave!  It means a lot to me!

It was definitely nice to meet another upstanding forum member in person!

I hope you can come visit the nursery soon...If all goes well, I will have yellow jaboticaba, red jaboticaba, Grimal jaboticaba, blue jaboticaba, pitangatuba, Zill Dark and smooth pitangas, savannah pitanga, uvalha, pitomba, rainforest plum, cedar bay cherry, and possibly a few others, in limited amounts for friends and customers to taste!

So...I had the distinct pleasure to meet Adam and hear his speech at the Brevard Tropical Fruit Club last night! 

what a great and entertaining speaker he is.  Topic was grafting Jaboticaba.  I have no interest in grafting but was entertained to see how to do it.  Adam is funny in real life just like he is on this forum!   He has reached Rock-Star level in the Tropical Fruit Tree world!  Rock on Adam!  Thanks for the speech and for the trees.  Enjoyed it. 

...also, picked up a grimal, yellow, and won the door prize for another jaboticaba!  Woot! 

#officialmemberJaboticabaholicsAnonymous
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 26, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »
Couple photos from last night. iPhone so poor quality.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 26, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
Photo this morning of my largest jaboticaba. It is absolutely loaded!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »
I only use captured rain water or nasty pond water.  The buckets are out today as we are expecting rain today.  My well water is high alkaline/ph so when I run out of rain water I fill that pond up and dump a wheel barrow of oak debris in it and let it cure.  It's nasty water but I think the jaboticaba like it!

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 26, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
The small bush photo above is from my stash I scored last night. A Grimal, yellow, and door prize jabo.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:37:55 PM by Central Floridave »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #693 on: March 26, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »

hahaha!  you got a pic of my mudflap!  Nice!

I got the haircut as a joke last week, and ended up keeping it...(It's the first time I've gone to a barber in the last 15 yrs...I usually let my hair grow out until I can't stand it, then shave it on a number 8 )....this mullet thing is working out great so far...I'm just a FL nursery man, good ol' boy!

here is a pic Bob took after I got the mullet installed...I was planting a 25 gal Garcinia from Luc...but I look more like a foreman on a construction site.  :P

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:56:31 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 26, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »
The small bush photo above is from my stash I scored last night. A Grimal, yellow, and door prize jabo.

I think the door prize jabo is a Red that Adam donated. I don't remember seeing any other jabos on the table.

DM

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #695 on: March 26, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

I think the door prize jabo is a Red that Adam donated. I don't remember seeing any other jabos on the table.

DM

Yes!  It was a root bound one gallon!

It needed to be pruned, but could fruit in just 1-2 yrs with proper care!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 26, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »
Cool, then that would make the 3rd Red I have.    My wife asked where I was going to plant them. I just shrugged and said 'somewhere'.  Do we even think about that with our obsession?    Got a couple whites, 4 or 5 sabara's (3 fruiting age). Now a Yellow.  I guess blue is next.  LOL.  Wish me luck. My main problem is keeping fresh water on them.  My only water sources are alkaline well water or rain.   Too bad they aren't a little more drought friendly!

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 26, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »
Cool, then that would make the 3rd Red I have.    My wife asked where I was going to plant them. I just shrugged and said 'somewhere'.  Do we even think about that with our obsession?    Got a couple whites, 4 or 5 sabara's (3 fruiting age). Now a Yellow.  I guess blue is next.  LOL.  Wish me luck. My main problem is keeping fresh water on them.  My only water sources are alkaline well water or rain.   Too bad they aren't a little more drought friendly!

What are the differences between blue and the normal ones?

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 26, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Sorry. I have no idea about the blues.  Unless we are talking about the delta blues. (Re: music)

The yellow looks like it has a different ornamental look!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #699 on: March 26, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »
totally different...blue has super thick tannic skin, and large seeds...but has a unique exquisite flavor when properly grown, and eaten.

What are the differences between blue and the normal ones?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com