Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387254 times)

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #725 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »
The Grimal at grimal grove is fruiting right now, it tastes amazing, way better than the Sabaras at the fruit and spice.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #726 on: March 30, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »
The Grimal at grimal grove is fruiting right now, it tastes amazing, way better than the Sabaras at the fruit and spice.

thanks for the update!

yes the fruit seems to be larger than sabara, with a unique texture (thicker, more gelatinous pulp)  seeds are usually smaller than sabara...but skin is thicker, and more tannic.

Grimal is great because it holds up very well for bringing to a market.

too bad the seed is worth way too much to sell the fruit at a market(anytime soon)!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #727 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »
The Grimal is definitely my favorite!

jabotica

• U.S.A.-N.of Okeechobee,Florida-zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 30, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
One of my grimal trees is fruiting for the first time ' it is in a 20 gal pot and the fruit
should be ripe in a week or two. I can't wait

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #729 on: March 30, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
One of my grimal trees is fruiting for the first time ' it is in a 20 gal pot and the fruit
should be ripe in a week or two. I can't wait

congratulations Robert!

don't make the mistake of eating them too early...they are very astringent and stringy if not properly ripened.

they will take several days to ripen after reaching full coloration.

they should feel like an under inflated basket ball when you squeeze them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 31, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
I've read through this thread several times so I apologize if this has been answered but when a sabara starts to shed its bark, what is the average time until fruiting approximately?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #731 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »
I've read through this thread several times so I apologize if this has been answered but when a sabara starts to shed its bark, what is the average time until fruiting approximately?

ive grown many eugenias and myrciarias to fruition...I can only remember about 3 fruiting before the bark peeled (that was Eugenia candolleana and E. reinwardtiana, and E. pitanga).

Usually the bark will peel before your tree ever fruits....but this can be years before you will see fruit...there is no set time...but as a general rule of thumb (with Myrciaria/Plinia/Eugenia), your tree will begin to exfoliate bark before it begins to flower.

for sabara, I notice the trees will start peeling 3-5yrs before fruiting (or longer, depending on who's growing them)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:41:40 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 31, 2015, 11:49:25 AM »
Adam, What fertilizer do you recommend for jabos?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #733 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
I personally use espoma products (holly tone in particular)...but be careful, using too much can easily kill a plant.

I just fertilize using a bit less than what the bag says, and I do it more often...

so light, frequent feedings is ok...(like 3-6  times per year, depending on the size of the tree, and how much fert you put down)

high nitrogen fertilizer on a Myrciaria is like playing with FIRE!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 31, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Thanks a lot

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 31, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
I personally use espoma products (holly tone in particular)...but be careful, using too much can easily kill a plant.

I just fertilize using a bit less than what the bag says, and I do it more often...

so light, frequent feedings is ok...(like 3-6  times per year, depending on the size of the tree, and how much fert you put down)

interesting, that particular one is formulated for acid loving plants. I should give that a try since my conditions here are very high PH soil and water.

Do you do any foliar feeding?

I started foliar spraying with Dyna-gro's foliage pro with some iron chelate in the mix beginning of Feb, and when the new leaves emerged, they're much bigger than the older foliage. I spray every two weeks with it and do a soil drench the weeks in between with the same stuff including some humic acid.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #736 on: March 31, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
raimeiken,

i have done lots of foliar feeding, drenching with micro-nutrition, and chelated Fe, in the past....when i had most of my plants in a location with city water. (now that I have acidic well water, it is not required as much, thank goodness!)

all the rare myrciarias seemed to hate city water (except the grimal and vexator)

also, my plants are older now..and older plants can deal with stress better, showing more resistance to nutritional deficiencies.

I used an organic product called TurfPro (or AgriPro), and also would use just about any micronutritional formula....KeyPlex is expensive, and effective...I've had good success using even using the stuff from Southern AG (for citrus?).

just don't over do it with the micros!  An overdose of micro-nutrition can be way worse than being nutrient deficient!

interesting, that particular one is formulated for acid loving plants. I should give that a try since my conditions here are very high PH soil and water.

Do you do any foliar feeding?

I started foliar spraying with Dyna-gro's foliage pro with some iron chelate in the mix beginning of Feb, and when the new leaves emerged, they're much bigger than the older foliage. I spray every two weeks with it and do a soil drench the weeks in between with the same stuff including some humic acid.

in my experience, drenching with chelated Fe is the most effective treatment for chlorosis.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:13:33 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 31, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
Just wanted to add that my (probably Grimal) Jaboticaba is also fruiting, in a pot in Roswell, Ga.  First year for something like a 17yo houseplant.

I have a cambuca, too, and that has flowered once when very young, which was probably freak, and didn't result in fruit set.  So subsequent flowering, of course.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #738 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
thanks for the interesting info!

btw, grimal is easy to identify...the flowers have very large petals compared to Sabara.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 31, 2015, 08:15:35 PM »
raimeiken,

i have done lots of foliar feeding, drenching with micro-nutrition, and chelated Fe, in the past....when i had most of my plants in a location with city water. (now that I have acidic well water, it is not required as much, thank goodness!)

all the rare myrciarias seemed to hate city water (except the grimal and vexator)

also, my plants are older now..and older plants can deal with stress better, showing more resistance to nutritional deficiencies.

I used an organic product called TurfPro (or AgriPro), and also would use just about any micronutritional formula....KeyPlex is expensive, and effective...I've had good success using even using the stuff from Southern AG (for citrus?).

just don't over do it with the micros!  An overdose of micro-nutrition can be way worse than being nutrient deficient!

good to know. what would be a sign of overdose of micro-nutrients? So far everything is looking great aside from a little salt burn on some leaves, which is common on here because of our water.

oh and good info on grimal and vexator handling the city water better. I'll probably give those two a try in the future whenever I find a source for them here. or maybe even in Cali. Anyone know of a nursery in LA or San Diego that might carry those varieties? I usually take a trip there in the summer, i'll see if I can take some back home with me.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #740 on: March 31, 2015, 09:09:20 PM »
all sorts of things can happen im sure, but usually the leaves seem to come out all crazy, deformed, almost like witches broom...and the trees growth is retarded.

what's the deal with shipping plants to AZ? I need to figure this out..I have some stuff that will be certified nematode free (very soon if all goes well)...I should have Grimals, and Vexators to send....they can easily fit in a USPS small flat rate box.

I need to recheck the laws...I will ask about this when the gentleman from the USDA comes to check for nematodes.  Should be soon.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »
Thanks! Yeah if only you're able to ship the larger ones I would be all over that! Lol

I know a guy here that sells tropical fruit trees here, he drives back over from a couple nurseries down there in Florida like PIN. I mentioned your place to him to check out next time he heads over to Florida. Not sure if he will for sure or not though.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 01, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
all sorts of things can happen im sure, but usually the leaves seem to come out all crazy, deformed, almost like witches broom...and the trees growth is retarded.

what's the deal with shipping plants to AZ? I need to figure this out..I have some stuff that will be certified nematode free (very soon if all goes well)...I should have Grimals, and Vexators to send....they can easily fit in a USPS small flat rate box.

I need to recheck the laws...I will ask about this when the gentleman from the USDA comes to check for nematodes.  Should be soon.

Hey Adam, when will you be able to ship Jaboticaba plants to California? I would like to add a few of your favorites to my collection. Thanks,
Simon

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 01, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
There are several local sources for Sabara, particularly TropicalFruitTrees.com in Vista which propagates many of them and have lots of sizes. For some other varieties, Exotica in Vista had a few the last time I was there; you can visit and check. But obviously for any other varieties Adam is your best bet.

ccamp

• USA, FL, Miramar, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 01, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
What homemade soil mixes has anyone been successful with jabos in containers?  I am trying to build a suitable mix without having to resort to buying Scott's Miracle Grow etc.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 01, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Adam do you think the Grimal would do better on Florida's limestone sand than other jabos?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #746 on: April 01, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
Adam do you think the Grimal would do better on Florida's limestone sand than other jabos?

not exactly...the one at fruit and spice looks like it went through a meat grinder.

it would be best to get a one grafted onto Sabara.

but I'm sure you can keep a seedling Grimal happy...it just might take a bunch of chelated Fe.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 01, 2015, 08:27:47 PM »

not exactly...the one at fruit and spice looks like it went through a meat grinder.

but I'm sure you can keep a seedling Grimal happy...it just might take a bunch of chelated Fe.

Are all jabos florida soil intolerant?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 01, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
When is a red jabo fully ripe?  I have a few that just turned completely red today.  How many more days until optimal ripeness?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #749 on: April 01, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »
Most of them hate high pH soil.  vexator seems to be one of the exceptions.

Sabara can tolerate higher pH soil without totally declining..but .it will still need some help.

They love the soil in central FL though...we have good acid sandy soil.

Are all jabos florida soil intolerant?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com