Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 389818 times)

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1075 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »
Adan
Answer me a question:
Helton ranks jabuticabas as plinias, the difference between Plinia and Myrciaria?
Thank you
I don't think there is much of a difference...and I don't know why some people refuse to use the name Myrciaria....and why some are classified as Plinia (even by those who categorize some as Myrciaria). But I personally think some of the Myrciarias (like glazioviana, guaquiea, strigipes, and glomerata) should have their own genus.  They are much different than Sabara and it's close relatives (M. cauliflora, coronata, trunciflora, oblongata, etc). Also, Plinia edulis, Plinia rivularis, Mulchi (Plinia sp.), and Myrciaria vexator seem to belong to a separate group....
all i can say is...it's really confusing!  and probably will require genetic profiling to have a definitive answer...
Eugenia, Plinia, and Myrciaria are all closely related...and difficult for a layman to distinguish taxonomically.

Adam, you´re almost there. :) I think the following lines are an interesting reading for the ones interested. Translated with the help of Google:

"
Traditionally, jabuticabas are classified as Myrciaria genre (as jaboticaba M., M. and M. trunciflora cauliflora), but some authors consider them as belonging to the genus Plinia. The difficulty of generic constituency becomes even greater when the Paramyrciaria gender is incorporated, forming a complex of difficult delimitation using morphological data. Recent studies using molecular data show that Myrciaria and Plinia genres, along with Neomitranthes and Siphoneugena form a monophyletic group called "Complex Plinia". Since existing studies were not able to suggest conclusively one division to the cultured species of jabuticabas, was suggested a molecular approach using a plastid marker (matK) and a core (ITS). The tested phylogenetic were Maximum parsimony and Bayesian analysis, with essentially similar results.
To this end, 67 accessions of the group were obtained in the field or from living collections, including the edible jabuticabas and coming groups (Siphoneugena, Neomitranthes, Myrciaria and Plinia) as well as outside groups. The phylogenetic tree derived from each genomic compartment is shown in detail diverging, demonstrating that the markers have slightly different evolutionary histories.

• In both analyzes, the sampled jabuticabeiras (Jaboticaba M., and M. M. truncifolia cauliflora) appeared as a single clade, even in any of the traditionally recognized species has been shown to be monophyletic.
  • Another aspect of interest is that group which includes the species generally accepted in Myrciaria strict sense (including the type species of the genus, Myrciaria tenella) also appears as an isolated clade of jabuticabas grown in both analyzes, being so far from the edible jabuticabeiras as any other genre sampled the "complex Plinia" while the species-type Paramyrciaria (P. delicatula) also appears in a relatively isolated clade.
  • A third aspect worth noting is that the species identified as belonging to the genus Plinia appeared scattered in different clades of Plinia complex "(and even out of this, as Plinia Hatschbachiana), indicating that Plinia can be a polyphyletic genus.

These results warn that, although the "complex Plinia" show up as a well-defined clade in analyzes in subfamiliar and tribal level, the constituency of components genres demand more attention, especially with regard to the positioning of Plinia. An increase in sampling Plinia gender as well as the inclusion of the type-species of the genus Plinia (P. pinnata) are essential for the final elucidation of the generic identity of cultivated jabuticabeiras. It is believed that this prospective analysis of genetic relationships among cultivated jabuticabeiras and their wild relatives can be used successfully as a reliable baseline for breeding programs.
"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:09:43 AM by Cassio »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1076 on: November 17, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
Cassio,

Thank you translating and sharing this great info!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »
Cassio,

Thank you for translating and sharing this great info!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »
This is a plant that Miguel gave me 2 years ago... as a suposed red-hibrid jabotibaba.  :)
Another two pics more near...

Luis, I have a grafted coroada da restinga that has the same appearance... I´ll try to upload photos later. ;)

Hello Cassio,

I have both trees in crops, similar ages and both with flowers as I was on the farm.
Guaquica, I experienced the fruit in Carapebus in Rio de Janeiro, sandbank Region Jurubatinga, Ubanaxica or cambuca da praia, was the E-jardim who gave me the trees, she still suffered a severe accident, my dog Nina ate the tree in the pot !
I recovered and planted are the same size, the sheet cambuca da praia is smoother than the cabeludinha and has a thin point, a leaf hair cabeludinha lol, the sheet guaquica is rounded at the tip.

Guaquica is better, save more pleasant, and does not have what I hate about glazoviana, forget and bite the bark ....... is almost equal drinking perfume, bad taste.

Alexandre, I never saw a Gaquica closely, but I saw dozens of cabeludinhas, which has good taste but little pulp. I have a small ubanaxica (strigipes) but not fruiting yet.
Talking about differences... I know the tree of Guaquica grows taller, while Cabeludinha and Ubanaxica looks almost equal, just the leafs are a bit different and, while cabeludinha has a hairy skin, ubanaxica has a plain skin. I also read that ubanaxica has a bigger amount of pulp, so, this is the reason why I chose her.
Do you know the ubanaxica? Can you tell me the difference between ubanaxica and Guaquica fruits?
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2015, 08:48:04 AM »
My God.
Another name: Jabuticaba coroada da restinga.

This is a plant that Miguel gave me 2 years ago... as a suposed red-hibrid jabotibaba.  :)

Luis, I have a grafted coroada da restinga that has the same appearance... I´ll try to upload photos later. ;)

Hello Cassio,

I have both trees in crops, similar ages and both with flowers as I was on the farm.
Guaquica, I experienced the fruit in Carapebus in Rio de Janeiro, sandbank Region Jurubatinga, Ubanaxica or cambuca da praia, was the E-jardim who gave me the trees, she still suffered a severe accident, my dog Nina ate the tree in the pot !
I recovered and planted are the same size, the sheet cambuca da praia is smoother than the cabeludinha and has a thin point, a leaf hair cabeludinha lol, the sheet guaquica is rounded at the tip.

Guaquica is better, save more pleasant, and does not have what I hate about glazoviana, forget and bite the bark ....... is almost equal drinking perfume, bad taste.

Alexandre, I never saw a Gaquica closely, but I saw dozens of cabeludinhas, which has good taste but little pulp. I have a small ubanaxica (strigipes) but not fruiting yet.
Talking about differences... I know the tree of Guaquica grows taller, while Cabeludinha and Ubanaxica looks almost equal, just the leafs are a bit different and, while cabeludinha has a hairy skin, ubanaxica has a plain skin. I also read that ubanaxica has a bigger amount of pulp, so, this is the reason why I chose her.
Do you know the ubanaxica? Can you tell me the difference between ubanaxica and Guaquica fruits?

Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1080 on: November 17, 2015, 10:43:04 AM »
I have a bunch of Myrciaria coronata var Restinga

But the new growth doesn't look like the plant Luis has.

His looks more like the common type.

The leaves of the restinga type are noticeably different.

My God.
Another name: Jabuticaba coroada da restinga.

Hello Cassio,

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
Hello Luis,

You or me we have mixed things up at some point... I saw other photos of the jabos I gave you 2 years ago that you posted on another thread and there is no doubt for me:

The one I gave you labelled as "Common Jabo" is actually a variety of Myrciaria jaboticaba... same species as "Sabará" but apparently there are many other varieties other then "Sabará"

The one with those nice red new leaves (discussed in this thread) is the M. trunciflora (Jaboticaba-de-cabinho)... the biggest one I have (sister of yours) is now more that 2 meters high and has the same new red leaves... good news is that this species should be one of the cold hardiest of all Jabos ... I left one outside in a pot during last winter and it resisted -5ºC at my place with no problems (only lost some leaves that sprouted immediately at spring)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 17, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Hi Miguel! How are you my friend? Then i think the one you have as jaboticaba de cabinho like mine... it's not. Because the one i have has haires and the true jaboticaba de cabinho is totally hairless.  ;D What do you think? Abraço forte!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1083 on: November 17, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »
Hi Miguel! How are you my friend? Then i think the one you have as jaboticaba de cabinho like mine... it's not. Because the one i have has haires and the true jaboticaba de cabinho is totally hairless.  ;D What do you think? Abraço forte!

i'm sure there are forms of trunciflora that have pubescence on the new growth, but the most common form (as pictured in Brazilian fruits and cultivated exotics) is hairless.  The branching habit is much different than the tree Luis has posted pics of.

here is trunciflora

here is coronata

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:25:35 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
This jaboticaba I reap seeds near farm in 2008, very good taste, now organizing my photos I found this picture.
to vary, I do not know the name of the variety.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1085 on: November 17, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
This jaboticaba I reap seeds near farm in 2008, very good taste, now organizing my photos I found this picture.

maybe it's one of the many forms of M. jaboticaba?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 20, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
I love those new leaves.  :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1087 on: November 20, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
Galka

Looking good!

I have several varieties of white jaboticaba, but yours looks like the variety I most recently collected.

I wonder if it's superior to the ones I have fruting (they are from the first plants introduced into the USA many years ago)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 20, 2015, 01:38:52 PM »
Adam, that means I need another variety, haha.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1089 on: November 20, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »
Adam, that means I need another variety, haha.

maybe graft on some scions...it's really easy...lol you could have a cocktail white jaboticaba tree, with 3 types of white jabo

btw, looks like my small variegated Grimal wants to push out new growth...i will post pics if it holds the variegated pattern.

it really grows slow!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 20, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
I will leave this one like it is and try to graft two other var. on his twin brother if it survives. Which reminds me I have to check it out. Can't wait to see the pics of your Grimal.

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1091 on: November 20, 2015, 07:17:54 PM »

Beautifull tree Alexandre!

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1092 on: November 21, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
These are the jabos and rellated species that I have...
Number one, planted in the soil.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:57:37 PM by Cassio »

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1093 on: November 21, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
Number two: White jaboticaba. Planted in a pot of 50 cm tall by 50 cm in the "mouth"

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1094 on: November 21, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
Number 3: Hybrid jaboticaba, planted in a pot of 80 cm tall and 50cm in the "mouth"

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1095 on: November 21, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »
Number four: Coroada da Restinga, planted in a pot of 80 cm tall by 50 cm in the "mouth". Beautifull little tree!!

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1096 on: November 21, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
Number five and six: Blue Jaboticaba, planted in a pot of 80 cm tall by 50 cm in the "mouth" and cambucá-da-praia, planted in the soil.

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1097 on: November 21, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
Number seven: two cambucás planted in pots.  8)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: November 21, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
Very beautifull plants Cassio! Congratulations!  ;)

Cassio

• View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #1099 on: November 21, 2015, 04:35:05 PM »
Very beautifull plants Cassio! Congratulations!  ;)

Thank you Luis! 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk