Author Topic: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida  (Read 30287 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Bloom Fairy Coming to South Florida
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »

Still nothing here  :'(

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »

Still nothing here  :'(
Likewise down here in Broward.  My Cogshall has nothing that even resembles a bud.  Pickering is ready to bloom, however.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
Cogshall finally started blooming about a week ago even with my sooty mold & scale infestation. PPK died  :'(
Sergio

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2017, 02:37:38 AM »
My Pickering is blooming heavy as is my Madame Francis (for the second time) Everything else is still asleep.
Regards,

Gary

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
Iman passand, pickering and NDM just starting to wake uo and push limited early blooms.. question when is a good stage  to spray against mildew? Mine have just started breaking the buds but i can tell it's pannicles emerging...
always longing for a JA Julie

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Iman passand, pickering and NDM just starting to wake uo and push limited early blooms.. question when is a good stage  to spray against mildew? Mine have just started breaking the buds but i can tell it's pannicles emerging...

Early?

Spray sulphur of copper?  You could spray copper (dor anthracnose) if flower buds have not opened, you could spray.  If flowers are open (best not to spray open buds), wait till fruit set.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
Copper...

Early as in the flower buds are not near opening yet..(just emerged), so there's benefit to spraying now, or wait a bit until the pannacles develop further and spray right before opening..?

Thanks as always....

Early?

Spray sulphur of copper?  You could spray copper (dor anthracnose) if flower buds have not opened, you could spray.  If flowers are open (best not to spray open buds), wait till fruit set.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
Here's the IFAS recommendation:

The two major disease problems for mango trees in the home landscape are powdery mildew and anthracnose. Both these fungal pathogens attack newly emerging panicles, flowers, and young fruit. One to two early spring applications of sulfur and copper timed to begin when the panicle is 1/2 full size and then 10 to 21 days later will greatly improve the chances for fruit set and production. Usually, protecting the panicles of flowers during development and fruit set results in good fruit production in the home landscape.

If you use sulfur, try to stay away from tender leaves and try to spray in the evening, as phytotoxicity can result. Lemon zest seems especially adverse to sulfur. And yes, you can mix sulfur and copper (I've done it before). Discontinue sulfur use probably sometime in March when the weather starts heating up.

Personally, I spray every 2 weeks with a rotation of several different anti-fungals, including copper and products that are effective against powdery mildew.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg216
Jeff  :-)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
We so focus on the plant issue and wanted to add sulfur and copper or other fungicide, but are they harmful to pollinators, i.e. honey bees?

Sapote

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
We so focus on the plant issue and wanted to add sulfur and copper or other fungicide, but are they harmful to pollinators, i.e. honey bees?

Sapote

I usually don't see pollinators flying around at the time when I spray.  Typically, I'll do it right before sundown.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:12 PM »
My ST is loaded with blooms on every panicle.  Fairchild is also looking like most panicles have blooms.  Trees are in 65gal fabric pots and are not exposed to much direct sunlight.
- Marley

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Cogshall buds a beginning to swell.
Quentin

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
Glenn mango has 2nd round of flowers busting out now. Already has egg sized fruit from earlier flowers.

Rollina/biriba is covered in flowers. Dropped all leaves, and now every branch is covered in new growth and most are starting to show small flowers.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
My NDM #4 and Carrie are popping out blooms now
Alexi

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
Jeff,

It's been pretty dry for a while, should copper be sprayed prophylactic measure anyway? I have yet to get it other than on my little Pickering which I think had it when I got it.

Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Up to you. Here, I have to use fungicide to get good crops of clean fruit and to prevent new leaf growth from dying off. If you're not seeing it affecting your trees, then you can maybe skip it.

Jeff,

It's been pretty dry for a while, should copper be sprayed prophylactic measure anyway? I have yet to get it other than on my little Pickering which I think had it when I got it.

Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »
I found today my graft of two years onto my seedling East Indian erupted in blooms as is my Pickering and Madame Francis mango and peach trees. I'm hoping my other mango stay asleep for a while longer.

The Fairchild #2 canistel is winding down (small but delicious fruits) as are the Kari and Kajang Carambola, and bananas. But my Makok is STILL giving up a few fruits a day for the last 2 months, Pineapple, Gold Nugget Jak and Jabo are flowering. Overall I'm happy. If my Green Caimito had not broken off at 4' from the ground I might have seen some blooms this year but grrr...

Regards,

Gary

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »

Yay!!! I finally see some swelling on my mango trees...probably going to be 'light' year production wise but its better than getting nothing ( I hope)...One advantage of late blooms are the chances of freeze damage significantly drops in March here :o)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 09:15:38 AM »
All my mango trees, except for Keitt and Kesar, are finally in bloom. Blooming for the first time this year are Cac (bloomed in late November and now has golf ball sized mangoes on it),  Maha Chanok, Dwarf Hawaiian Sweet Tart and Angie. Kesar  has swollen buds and should bloom in the next few days.It is a mix of flowers and leaves on all the trees.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
Looks like a great year and potential great crop for my Ice Cream mango tree. On its 2nd bloom with golf ball fruit set from the 1st. Juliette is in full bloom. Lemon Zest is in full bloom :D. Both Julie's are in their 2nd bloom with fruit set from the 1st. Honey Kiss is in full bloom. Pickering, Maha, and Okrung looks as if they are about to bloom. Kesar's lower half is in full bloom. Tog Bi Con is mixed with growth and flowers with some branches are have multiple flower panicles only. Dot is mixed. Cushman, Imam Pasand, Mallika, Langra, Venus, Fernandin, Philippine, and ST Maui...crickets.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
Seems from looking around town...south Florida mango trees have just about woken up all over...

So that's good..but my lychees and the lychee trees in the area are doing nothing...plus I haven't seen much on the forum here to suggest any significant lychee bloom around south Florida...as we are getting into March next week, is it time to start worrying about a poor lychee season or is there still time?

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
Not South Florida but Central Florida.
My NDM bloomed awhile back and currently has thumb size fruits.
Peach Cobbler did a small bloom about the same time as the NDM and it is now doing a heavy second bloom.
Lemon Zest is doing a heavy bloom.
Irwin is doing a small bloom, but it is still a small tree.
PPK is doing a fairly heavy bloom.
Coconut Creams, Mallika and Kent are all starting to show blooms.

DM

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
Florigon

Sweet Tart

Fairchild

- Marley

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
Pina colada is in full swing.

Honey kiss is really giving it a push. Nice show for a little guy but going to have to wait.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 03:40:26 PM »
I think my yard is behind some of yours, bloom-wise.

I have a nice, 3/4 bloom on Lemon Zest.
Mature-sized Dot has 6 mangos from first bloom, is just barely starting to bloom again.
Mature Beverly has only a few blooms.

Sweet Tart, still a smallish tree, is starting a modest bloom. It didn't bloom last year, after I allowed it to bring a dozen mangos to fruition the year before.

PPK, a tiny tree, held on to its first bloom, but is too small to allow to bear fruit.
Tiny Venus held on to its early bloom, but I picked off the fruit. It set more fruit than it has leaves.

No signs of life from 6-foot tall Fruit Punch, or 4-foot tall Guava.

Dupuis Saigon had a nice first bloom, but lost it all. Now is starting a modest second bloom.