Author Topic: Frederick Passion Fruit not turning purple  (Read 1472 times)

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
Frederick Passion Fruit not turning purple
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
Hi, I planted my passion fruit plant in Jan (got from lowes).  By July I had about 40 or so passion fruit, but as right now they are still green.  I was thinking maybe because they were all under the leaves and not getting any sunlight.  Last week I pruned the top layer to let the fruits see some light.  Some of the fruits I noticed are showing signs of wrinkles.  One even fell to the ground, but yellow, shriveled, and sour. 

Why are my passion fruits not riping?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Passion Fruit not turning purple
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
It is possible, but I have never encountered the issue of shade preventing the fruit to ripen.

In summer, they often fail to color up completely/ sweeten up completely before dropping off.

That said I have had trees abort fruit for several reasons:
1.Drought stress
2.Daily highs too stressful.
3.Overwatering.

Listed in order of likelyhood.

Spring crop is better on these, and is very sweet with excellent subacid balance.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
The fruit itself being shaded is not an issue but the leaves need a lot of sun input to ripen the fruits.  My vines on the north side of the fence dont ripen properly.  What direction is the fence facing?

Other issues could be not enough water or fertilizer but your vines look green so thats probably not it. 
Brad Spaugh

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 07:48:53 PM »
I think it is the northfacing wall because the sun rise from the right (east).  I didn't get any fruits in the Spring because was still growing.  Started to have flower around May/June.

Thanks for all the info.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
Maybe the variety you are growing matures yellow instead of purple.
My incarnates turn yellow and drop when mature as do my Ruby Glows.

Kevin

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:08:03 PM »
The one I planted is Frederick which are supposed to be purple.  So far, only fruit dropped, and it was yellow, with a little purple on a corner.  The fruits have been on the vines for at least 3 months.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
actually my Frederick's fruit here in Glendale, CA, shows the same symptom. They keep green even until they drop to the ground. But their taste are really sweet, the sweetest passion fruits I've ever tried. My vine is very healthy, gets 10 hours + of sun and no sign of stress. So I guess somehow the weather here just make them don't turn color.

sosamo

• San Gabriel Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »
Great news. Thanks. The 1 fruit the fell and all shriveled up was super sour :D  There are some new fruit growing, and the old fruits still hanging strong on the vines.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
The one I planted is Frederick which are supposed to be purple.  So far, only fruit dropped, and it was yellow, with a little purple on a corner.  The fruits have been on the vines for at least 3 months.

You need to let yhem sit on thr counter.  If its yellow with a little purple it sounds ok, it will purple up by sitting longer. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk